Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 9:04:14 AM EDT
I am ordering a new bushmaster upper as soon as I pick a flash suppressor. I have NO idea which to choose; does anyone have detailed info that might help me pick one, or perhaps a thread that discusses them at length? I tried searching the forums but a billion query matches for “flash hider” discouraged me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The two most popular are the Vortex and the Phantom.

The Vortex is a "prong" type suppressor made by Smith Enterprise.  There are a few versions out, and they are regarded as the best flash suppressors available.

The Phantom is made by Yankee Hill Machine.  There are also several versions, including a solid bottom type similar to the A2.  Performance-wise Phantoms are a close second to the Vortex.

Bushmaster sells the Phantom, and they will install it on your barrel for free if you buy both from them.  If you are getting a 14.5" barrel, they will permanently attach it without charge as well.

ETA:  Do a search on "Vortex or Phantom" and you'll find several threads comparing the two.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks info M4-guy! I think I will go with the Phantom 5C2 Comp/Flash Hider
YHM-28-5C2.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a quick hijack here, how is the compensation functionality on the 5C2? Is it noticeable? Does in increase blast?

...and what're crush/peel washers for?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I can answer the third question; the washers are included to allow proper tightening of the flash suppressor while also achieving proper alignment, so the flat bottom is correctly positioned at 6 o'clock, and to provide tension to keep the suppressor tight.

I would love to here from anyone that has experience with the phantom suppressor/comp models as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll find out on Sept. 14th and report.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top