Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2003 6:46:46 PM EDT
The Accuracy Speaks trigger I had installed in my AR-15 Sporter II is causing the hammer pin to walk in less than a magazine. Pin moves from righ to left and eventually pops out of the right side hole in the receiver. This allows the hammer to torque up and bind the bolt - pretty much stopping everything.
I have ordered a set of the anti-walk pins from Brownells but it will be a week before they get here. Anyone have any expreince with installing them, using them? Or anyone have another solution to the walking pin problem?
Thanks...
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Check for a "J" spring in the hammer. Did you replace the hammer with an AS supplied unit? The "J" spring engages the center annular groove in the trigger/hammer pins. You will see a small (1/16" OD) hole about halfway down the hammer there should be s small piece of silverish spring steel running through it. You can also see the "J" spring by turning the hammer upside down and looking in it from the bottom. You will also see the "J" spring through the hammer pin hole, you should see approx half the diameter of the spring sticking into the hammer pin hole.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Dave, !st time on this site. I'm having the same problem except it's the trigger pin. Could you send me info. on where to get anti-walking pins? Also If anyone sends info on hor to install. Thanks   Mrbill
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
MrBill,
Go to Brownells web site and type part # 452-015-028 in the search block.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh you kids.

OK, the HAMMER spring holds in the TRIGGER pin. If your T pin is walking then something ain't right in your lower. Make sure that the legs of the hammer spring are on top of the trigger pin, that the leg is riding in the outside annular groove in the trigger pin, and that the groove is deep enough to hold the leg of the hammer spring. If one or more of these in not present then correct that deficiency.

The solution is not more parts.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The accuracy speaks hammer does not have a Jpin nor is it drilled for one.  The captive pins these guys are talking about don't use C clips.  The pins are drilled and tapped and cap heads screws from both ways hold them in.  Additionaly there are tiny little Conector bars that tie the hammer and trigger pins together to keep them from rotating.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I stand corrected!!!

The reinforced pins are the best thing going for a 9MM rifle, due to the bolt being a blow back design and can reach havoc on the hammer pin/receiver during unlock.  But on the 5.56 rifle, with a gas action that softens the carrier unlock, they are not needed.

If the hammer is not drilled for the retaining spring, then what does the kit come with to retain the pin, or is the intent to just replace the standard pins with a secondary system such as c-clip style or end screw type?

Don't get me wrong; it's just a question.  
I have been working over stock FCG systems for so long that it has been several years that I have even used an aftermarket system, and that was a Jewel that was sold off shortly after I installed it in one of my DCM rigs (don't care for two stage triggers, only tolerate them on M1a's and Garands).
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, if the AS trigger kit lacks the "J" spring then more parts IS the answer. Call AS at 480.373.9499 and beat on them.

I just checked my copy of Martin and Tillman's book and the hammer they show (one of them) does indeed lack the cross hole for staking the "J" spring. It's a whole nuther part. The part I distinctly remember reading shows standard AR FCG parts modded to AS specs. Something new every day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#8]
The hammer pin on my 9mm ASA is walking out
(9mm hammer).I ordered anti-walk pins from Bushmaster #WE-002$ 5.95.I will report back if they ever show up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info all. Very helpful. Now I know where to start. Man do I need to proof read before I send e-mail or what? I will do some research and let everyone know what I learned. Loved the "Oh you kids" header Tweak. Still learnin' and is nice to have experienced people helping out and not brow-beating me. This is a great website. A lot of useful info and good people. Take care all, I will be in touch soon.     MrBill (the student)  
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
When installing the anti-walk pins, install them such that if you are right handed, the C-clips are on the right, and vice-versa.  This is so that you will not catch them on clothes or gear, and possibly knock them off... though this is unlikely.

I have used the anti-walk pins on several of my rifles for at least 10 or 12 years with no problems.

I got mine from Olympic Arms, but DPMS, Bushmaster, and others also have them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got the Anti-Walk pins I ordered from Brownell's in today's mail. They are from JP Enterprises and have the C-clips on each end. There is a warning that the hammer hole may have to be "reamed".
I don't do reaming so will take the rifle and pins to GG&G. They installed the Accuracy Speaks trigger in the first place and said they will put in the pins to make it right.
Will report back on the outcome.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Dave, I totally miss the part where you had the FCG install by a shop and this is how they gave the rifle back to you.

My suggestion would be to take the rifle back to them, find the smith that installed and function tested the FCG, and do a little function testing of your own of the butt pad to the side of his head.

If asked, just respond that after the pin fell out, you wanted to make sure that the butt pad screws were tight and you didn’t want them  falling out too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#13]
The bottom line is that if the j shaped spring is in place the anti walk pins are just a gimmick.  And if you don't have a part with that spring in place you've either got a defective hammer or some odd design.

You normally see that spring missing on a new part.  If it's bad it'll fail fast.  If it's good, it'll stay good for years unless somebody keeps screwing with the hammer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I've installed some Kager pins. They do not turn and stay in place as well. They also have lub points inside of the pin.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Update on my pin walking problem. GG&G called today to say the rifle is ready to be picked up. The problem resulted from the Accuracy Speaks trigger kit's "J" spring being broken. They replaced it, then for insurance they installed the anti-walk pins for me - all at no charage since they had installed the trigger originally. As has been my experience in the past, GG&G is a good company to do business with.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top