Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 5:40:14 AM EDT
I'm about to put my SBR back together with a YHM FF tube set-up.  I was wondering if Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant would be an OK choice for the barrell nut.  This is the gray coloered stuff that is used on exhaust manifold bolts and places like that.  It is recommended for thread-on suppressors by SWR too.  Seems like an OK application to me?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
If it contains copper, it is advisable not to use it.  Copper and subsequent moisture would be electrolytic and could cause corrosion.  Stick with Lithium grease or molybdenum disulfide based grease.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Or use 10W-30/40 motor oil.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Bad suggestion/worse choice.

Stick w/ desertmoon's suggestions: Lithium or molybdenum disulfide based grease, (I use the moly)

Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad suggestion/worse choice.

Have you used motor oil yet?

Ive used it - no problems
Many other people have used it - I havent heard a complain yet
Bushmaster uses it (and they suggested it) - I havent heard any complaints yet
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm using Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) lubricant from Bushmaster.

Bushmaster website link
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bushmaster website link

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bushmaster website link

That's what I use.  That little tub will last you and 10 friends a lifetime.  For only $8.50 it seems kinda silly NOT to use it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bushmaster website link

I saw the tech video. They were using motor oil.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bushmaster website link

Is this something that most gun shops (Cabelas?) or hardware stores would carry or do I need to mail order?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bushmaster website link

Is this something that most gun shops (Cabelas?) or hardware stores would carry or do I need to mail order?

Most of the gun shops in my area don't have it but you could ask your favorite shops, if not you could order directly from the Bushmaster link that I posted.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bushmaster website link

You can probably pick it up at any local auto parts store.

That said, we did use Permatex anti-seize on barrel nuts in the armorer's class that I attended.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bushmaster website link

Automotive stores should have it. A look for a bearing grease with moly, there are many brands.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought this at Autozone or Auto whatever at the insistence of several others on the board. It is a huge tub and is likely to last forever

www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=68
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm about to put my SBR back together with a YHM FF tube set-up.  I was wondering if Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant would be an OK choice for the barrell nut.  This is the gray coloered stuff that is used on exhaust manifold bolts and places like that.  It is recommended for thread-on suppressors by SWR too.  Seems like an OK application to me?

I used it on my barrel install. Somewhere on the tube it mentions it is OK on aluminum heads. I figured it would be OK to use on the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Walmart has moly grease (really cheap stuff). For my first AR build I used Redline synthetic grease that I used for my cars.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've used the Permatex on several builds. Never had a problem. I called Bushmaster and Colt on this. They said it was fine.

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Any particular reason you are FF a SBR???
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any particular reason you are FF a SBR???

No
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#19]
We hear so many folks with horror stories about Bushy barrel nuts being sooooo tight...wonder if someone is using motor oil in assembly there? I've broken quite a few Bushys loose and didn't ever notice any moly grease (messy).
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I think they recommend moly because it doesn't wear off easily over time.  Motor oil will disappear on bolt threads in a month in extreme conditions.  Anti-seize will  last the longest.  I worked as a mechanic in a highly corrosive environment and we would anti-seize every nut and bolt on many of the stuff we repaired.  We never had problems removing bolts that were anti-seized.  You do have to be careful with anti-seize though, you don't want to use it on critical bolts that could work themselves loose over time.  Like automobile lug nuts for example.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We hear so many folks with horror stories about Bushy barrel nuts being sooooo tight...wonder if someone is using motor oil in assembly there? I've broken quite a few Bushys loose and didn't ever notice any moly grease (messy).

Wipe off excess moly grease using a napkin or paper towel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I think they recommend moly because it doesn't wear off easily over time.

No, Moly Grease is recommended because it does what it is made for, preventing galling of threads.  It allows you to smoothly tighten up the nut while aligning for the gas tube.  

Anti-Seize materials are for the most part a grease with powdered metal, copper, zinc, aluminum.  This stuff is rather gritty, and the metal gets embedded in the aluminum threads.  It is better for steel against steel.  Commonly used on water pumps, exhaust, etc.

Use moly grease on your barrel nut.  As stated above, this is ordinary wheel bearing grease.  If you can't find it, use regular grease like you would use in a grease gun.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top