Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 7:52:02 AM EDT
I am doing a build and I would like to know is there a difference when it comes to 20 inch and 24 inch barrels?  I see rainier is out of the 20 inch barrels for 308 they have the 24 in stock.  What are the pros and cons of them other than weight?  I want to build a long rang rifle

Thanks.  Dan
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
20" will do damn near everything thing the 24" will(ie: shoot to 1000yards), but will weigh substantially less.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

20" will do damn near everything thing the 24" will(ie: shoot to 1000yards), but will weigh substantially less.

This. The 24 will just give you a little bit more velocity.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks rainier is out of the 20 but they have the 24. I will wait a little longer and see if they don't get any in I will just go with the 24
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Everything the previous posters said. 20" will get you out there, but because of the loss in velocity wind deflection will be greater at longer ranges. Other than that it will be just as accurate, and weight a lot lighter.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you plan to use the rifle? If you are going to shoot only from the bench, then the extra weight of the 24" barrel won't really matter, but the extra velocity will be a bonus. If you plan to hunt with it or shoot off hand, or shoot matches that will require movement or carrying the rifle around a lot, then the lower weight of the 20" will be a bonus, and if hunting the 20 will be a little less likely to snag on brush and the like.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Like knight dive wrote, if you plan to haul the gun only from the trunk to the range or firing line to shoot at paper or tannerite at long range, then the 24" tube is a good thing.  You'll get a tad more velocity, and the extra weight will help tame the recoil.  I have the DPMS with a 24" tube, and for certain it's a beast to carry––I'd never take it hunting.  However, from the bench or prone, it's relatively easy enough on the shoulder to make long shooting sessions much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
For hunting, consider a 16" or 18".  I think that 18" is about as short as you can go before velocity really starts dropping significantly.  I'd say either a lightweight 20" profile or mid-weight 18".
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
20 it will be if they ever get any in, or else it will be a 24.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top