Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2003 6:44:07 PM EDT
I recently got my Model 1 post ban CAR kit and while looking at the stock, I noticed all that's holding it in place is a bolt (which I've already removed and inspected the buffer tube). How 'illegal' would it be for me to drill and tap a new hole a little further down the tube and re-tighten the bolt into the new shorter position? I'm not looking to make it collapsible, just a semi-permanant happy medium between full length and the too short tactical entry length. Any ideas? J
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You wouldn't be able to post a picture of this stock would you? By what you describe, the stock isn't permanent and it would be considered illegal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll post a pic later today as I'm at work right now. There was what appeared to be thread lock/possibly epoxy on the
threads of the locking bolt, but it obviously wasn't mixed correctly if it was epoxy.
It took minimal effort to loosen it and remove it. Maybe I'll have to drill and tap
it and then epoxy it in myself to make it permanant. Sounds like Model 1 might need to tighten their QC if in deed this situation makes it illegal.
J
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you plan on taking this rifle on some illegal activity forays or are going to take it straight to the BATF and say "looky..looky" then dont worry about.

LEO (that actually knows the meat of the AWB):  "Say son, let me see that rifle of yours.  I want to check it for evil features"

You:  "Sure officer!"

Cursory inspection reveals that collapsible stock does not in fact, collapse.  No bayo lug, and no flash hider.

LEO:  "Shoot em up Tex, you're all squared away!"

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as you can't readily close or lengthen the stock then you are ok.  If it takes tools to do anything with the stock then it's not considered a collapsable stock.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#5]
That sounds good to me guys. It does require a hex key wrench to undo the bolt to move it in any direction, no evil push buttons on this bad boy. I think I'll give it a go.
I'll try to resist the urge to do any kind of crimes while accompanied by my rifle, though I know it will be very difficult. [;)]
Thanks. J
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I just built a Model 1 kit on a Rockriver lower for a buddy of mine this weekend,So I got to look at there fixed car stock closely and it does not contain any mechanism at all so if all your doing is drilling a new hole and moving it forward I'd say you'd be okay....the only problem I can foresee is that on most fixed car or M4 stocks the buffer tube goes almost all the way to the rear so you wont be able to move it very far...........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#7]
i pinned my car stock and from what i read on this board i got nervous about it, so i called the seattle batf office and talk to a agent in the firearms division. he said that if the stock is permanently fixed to one position it is legal, as long as the rifle meets minimum length. just to make sure he was not blowing smoke i called the portland office also and the agent told me the same thing. the portland agent said to epoxy or some other permanent glue the stock also just to make sure it is permanent. i JB welded mine and pinned it so i wouldnt have to worry. any doubts call your local batf office and ask. they were actually really cool about all my questions and were very helpful. hope this helped ya
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top