Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 3:05:07 PM EDT
I've used iron sights about all my life. For one, because good scopes are expensive and when I buy something for my guns, I usually try to buy the best, and the best scopes are, as you know, in the $500> range usually. But my budget is no more than $300 and figure I could get a somewhat decent scope for that. Besides the Eotech I'm wanting to get and would buy instead, it being too impractical for normal use I do though, there's so many options like red dot (what exactly is the advantage), variable zoom, no zoom, so many other sub-types of optics I've seen and heard but haven't researched it much yet. But what is the best sub $300 optic for hunting, target, and tactical (quick target aquisition) optic in your opinions. I know I could research more into it but you know how it is, lots of advertising BS every time I look up certain scopes. They act like their scope/scopes are the shiznitz.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
So do you want a reflex (like a red dot/holographic) or a scope (crosshairs, magnafied) ?

There are people far more experianced with scopes than I to comment. On reflex systems I'd say get an Aimpoint for a little over $300. They are tough little gadgets that are easy to use, huge battery life and have a long history of working well. Think you asked what the advantage of a red dot is? Pretty much ease of use. You look and there is a little red dot floating over your rifle. Same thing with the holographic EoTechs although they have a much larger FOV. Of course out past 200 yards all reflex systems are a bit more uncomfortable to use because of the size of the dot.

One other thing, dont waste money on an optic and mount. You get exactly what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You've almost convinced me to buy an Aimpoint or Eotech but is it really practical or worth the money to buy for hunting or should I also invest in a good scope? I know I should just suck it up and maybe buy both if I wanted but hey, I'm not a man of unlimited funds. But thanks for the great response.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an A2 rifle with A2 sights, and a CAR15 with a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot. On my next 2 AR's, I want flip up sights with a Bushnell 6-18x on one and a Bushnell XLP on the other.

Bushnell XLP
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Aimpoint or EOTech.

What type of receiver are you going to mount it on? If it is an A2, then I would suggest the Aimpoint as they are cheaper and easier to mount on a carry handle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
This is an A3 reciever. I have just bought a scope from a fellow arfcommer. The bushnell 10x40 elite 3200. Anyone have this scope and have any comments? I believe it will serve my purpose for a scope but will probably still buy an aimpoint or eotech. Geez, I thought I'd get an AR and be happy. Every week there's always something I want for it. Just so many cool things I can add on to the AR and so many ways I can thin my wallet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:06:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the 3200 10x40 with the mildot ret.  It is a nice scope.  I have also had several others in the 4 to 10 zoom range.  I ended up selling them all except for a Luepold 3-9x40 tactical that I put on my .22.  I have found that I never shoot out past 200 yards and my EOtech is very accurate out to that range.  It is also the fastest on target of any optic I have tried yet.  So for me the EOtech does it all very well.  And now that I have 2 AR's I need to buy another EOtech!!!  I am sure it would be different if I hunted (long range) with my AR or did long range (600yard) shooting though..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top