Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2003 6:14:24 PM EDT
New AR (flattop) owner that has read most of the recent posts and do not see my answer.  I borrowed a Tasco Pro Point to see if I liked a dot sight.  I cannot see the dot in full sunlight.  I would say the dot is not bright enough to keep from being washed out.  Should I expect a much pricier Aimpoint to be better in this area, or about the same?  I put the Tasco on a .22 rimfire as I have not bought AR mounts yet.  My second question is why do most mounts for the Aimpoint align the dot with the front sight.  I think I want a mount that will put the dot a bit above the front post, but be low enough to use a flip up rear sight through the scope.    Am I wrong?  What mount system will accomplish this?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm by no means an expert, but I have to ask, are the batteries on the pro-point fresh?  The pro-point I have has an adjustable rheostat for the brightness and it is bright.

And the question of the dot on the FS post, is the dot on the FS post when you are looking through the sights?  If it is, then it is doing it's job.  If it is in this location you are basically "zeroed" and good to go.  After that you relax a little on the cheek weld and put the dot on the target the dot should ride above the post in your field of vision.  In reality you want the FS post in the lower 1.4 to 1/3 of your view.  This is called co-witnessing when you can look at the irons through the red dot, and the location of the dot is supposed to be there.  

Somebody correct me if I missed the point entirely.  HTH
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Both Aimpoints and Eotechs work fine here in Arizona where we have enough sun light to jump start a nuclear reactor.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The worst condition I ever encountered as far as bright ambient light conditions went was on a sunny, cloudless day and the ground totally covered with a fresh layer of snow.  I had to have my aimpoint m2 at its brightest setting if I wanted to quickly pick up the red dot against the snow.  On the next lower setting, the dot was still visible, just too dim to use for snap shots.  Generally, during the summer on sunny days, I can run my aimpoint two levels down from the brightest setting and still easily pick up the dot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The Pro Point has new batteries.  My point is that it is not bright enough for my eyes.  My eye sight is far from perfect.  I may not be able to use a red dot at all.  I just wanted to know if I could expect better results with the Aimpoint.  I do not have the sunshade for the PP.  That may have helped.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top