Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:25:28 AM EDT
Ok, my first time cleaning the gun after zeroing and shooting 100 rnds. When I was in the Army, especially in basic, they taught us to be very meticulous about our cleaning but it was clp all the way. No special cleaners. I can't recall them teaching us which end to start first, from chamber to barrell or vice versa, I don't think they cared. I've seen the M16 get put through all kinds of torture. Bayonett training, purposely thrown down by the DS's to show how much they can take, dropped on concrete, etc. Anyhow, I forgot to lube my barrell before I put a brush in but it was too late. I was about a couple inches in the barrell cleaning from the chamber out, and the brush was getting stuck. So realizing what kind of crap we put them through, I'm not worried much but can someone give me a reason to worry. I had to moderately pound the cleaning rod through the barrell to push it through since it was in too far and tight to pull out. Oh, I can still hear the screeching of the barrell and brush now. Makes me cringe. BTW, it is a chrome moly lined barrell. So, did I F up my barrell, lol.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably not.  You don't need to worry about getting the gun perfectly clean.  The military wears more guns out with cleaning than shooting.

It is best to clean from the rear, BTW, with a bore guide.

That said, I just bought a bore snake.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
don't worry about it, people worry about too much shit. You didn't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Your OK.  Especially since the barrel is chrome lined.  Chrome is VERY hard.  Brushes are soft, usually phoshor bronze.  Remember, you've putting 3000+FPS, copper plated lead pointy things through there with ~50.000 PSI of hot, burning gas behind them with no trouble.  I think you would REALLY have to work at to do damage with a human powered broze brush.

Oh, just to let you know, chrome moly is the type of steel used to make the barrel.  Chrome plate is the very thin lining that is plated to the steel.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thanks for the correction tempest45. After googling, I read the difference between the two from this site. I knew it wasn't as good as a full chrome lined barrel but it was the only option I had with that upper reciever kit so figured it was good enough for me. But part of me isn't too worried, another part is though since I was taught, you take care of your weapon/equipment, and it'll take care of you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, you totally f'd up that barrel!!!! Umm....since you need to buy a new upper, I'll buy that junk upper from you for $200

Anyways...I'm sure your barrel's ok
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top