Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2003 2:27:04 PM EDT
I have a bunch of mags that I am going to refinish with Brownells Teflon Moly Resin. The finish on some mags is so so and others you can clearly see the anodizing. Should I steel wool the anodizing before I spray them or should I just spray them? I figure the steel wool will clean them up a bit, but I don't want to damage the anodizing. Is the anodizing tough enough that it can be roughed up a little or do I need to be careful? This is my first attempt at refinishing. Thanks for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would not use steel wool.  Of all the mags that I've refinished I just used hot soapy water, a mag brush for cleaning the inside and a tooth brush for the hard to reach areas.

Here's an excellent link that got me started refinishing mags: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=82469[/url]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I did see that post. Lots of good info.
He did say he used fine steel wool on the outside of the mags, but was not specific as to wether the anodizing was showing or not.
I just want to make sure I don't damage that coating.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't find a need for it.  After I cleaned and sprayed mine with 3 coats of PermaSilk I couldn't tell that there were imperfections when I started.  I have another 12 or so lined up for refinishing and I'll follow the same procedures.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures when you're done!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to hear how it goes once you are done.  I've been thinking of using either the Teflon/Moly or Gun-Kote available at Brownells or Lauer Custom's Duracoat Painting System.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of the posts I've read gave really good results on the Teflon Moly Resin while the Gunkote seems to scratch and not be as durable. Also, I've gone to Lauers web site and their Duracoat seems like a real hassle to deal with. You need to use a sprayer and seems like there is multiple steps in the process and very expensive start-up kit. The Brownells Teflon is just an easy coat from a spray paint type can.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Your probably right.  I've already acetoned all of the old finish off of my test mag and I am just in the process of scuffing it up a bit with steel wool so that the spray will bond well.  We'll see...
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top