Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/23/2013 1:53:08 PM EST
Ok, I've been scouring the EE for a chrome lined barrel the last few weeks w/o much luck... was really keeping an eye out for a colt or sako but am now sort of changing my mind after a realization today. Am I sacrificing any quality etc for a current production barrel (Green Mountain/Fulton Armory/Criterion)? Aside from rollmarks (which are awesome and really desirable to me) and authenticity, I can't really think of any other negatives to going this route.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:13:45 PM EST
Some new manufactured barrels are better than others. Criterion (sold by Fulton) is going to be better than GM.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:26:13 PM EST
Sadly those new manufactured barrels are hard to come by right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:52:10 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sandusky:
Sadly those new manufactured barrels are hard to come by right now.
View Quote

I just bought one!

A VERY decent retro barrel.

It's not perfect but it has the right profile and they are brand new and they ARE available.

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:26:05 PM EST
Yeah those Alpha barrels are very tempting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:32:43 PM EST
Those alpha barrels did catch my eye but sadly I gotta have the chrome lining since I'm not the best when it comes to weapons maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:34:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By diescheize11:
Those alpha barrels did catch my eye but sadly I gotta have the chrome lining since I'm not the best when it comes to weapons maintenance.
View Quote

That's how I feel about it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:06:47 PM EST
Am I sacrificing any quality etc for a current production barrel (Green Mountain/Fulton Armory/Criterion)?

Not IMO especially when one considers the probable round count / normal wear and tear of a used surplus barrel. There are always exceptions. Never really had any problems with a non chrome lined barrel on an AR platform especially .223 / 5.56 but for some odd reason that chrome lining seems to become a necessity for most. One would almost think the surplus ammo was corrosive. Even with identical mfg pieces one is always gonna be better than the other, Buy two or more, keep the best, sell the rest.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:16:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By Cdenmark:
Am I sacrificing any quality etc for a current production barrel (Green Mountain/Fulton Armory/Criterion)?

Not IMO especially when one considers the probable round count / normal wear and tear of a used surplus barrel. There are always exceptions. Never really had any problems with a non chrome lined barrel on an AR platform especially .223 / 5.56 but for some odd reason that chrome lining seems to become a necessity for most. One would almost think the surplus ammo was corrosive. Even with identical mfg pieces one is always gonna be better than the other, Buy two or more, keep the best, sell the rest.
View Quote

I bought a used AR barrel once that had a pitted chamber. The case would obturate on firing and the extractor would rip the rim off. Last bare CM barrel I ever had.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:43:37 PM EST
I have a c mp b 14.5 cannot get that thing to group less than 2.5" at 100 yds (and that is with match 55gr) newer barrels have the advantage of over 50 years of research as long as you buy from a quality manufacture I think a new barrel is better unless you want historical accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:09:55 PM EST
You immediately remove the original upper on every M16 you buy and run 'em with a Colt 6721, 6933, 6940, 6945 or (my favorite) an LMG upper. I've got DDM4 V7 uppers on mine, too. Even run 'em with some LWRC M6A2 piston uppers in various lengths.

Why would you shoot out the original barrel?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:24:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By ftldrben:
You immediately remove the original upper on every M16 you buy and run 'em with a Colt 6721, 6933, 6940, 6945 or (my favorite) an LMG upper. I've got DDM4 V7 uppers on mine, too. Even run 'em with some LWRC M6A2 piston uppers in various lengths.

Why would you shoot out the original barrel?
View Quote

All the retro builds I am doing, I will just set them up to be complete, shoot them to sight them in, then Use ONE AR beater for all my plinking...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:22:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Cdenmark:

View Quote

This.

Let's not forget that 50 years ago the original design did not have chrome lined anything!

I have M1 Carbines and Garands and commercial firearms and none of them have chrome and I have never had a problem and I live in the rust capitol of the world!

Close to the gulf and constant 90% humidity and ALL my barrels are bright and shiny!

Now of course I AM lazy and would like to have an original C MP CHROME BORE barrel but I don't have a stash of them so this Citadel for Alpha Shooting Sports will work just fine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:49:42 AM EST
I have had no problems with the Alpha Shooting Sports barrels. I have 223 and 300ac.
All good barrels, I would say go with new if going to be shooting alot IMO.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:47:16 AM EST
Good responses and am happy to hear. Looks like I'll be saving myself some money and not sacrificing quality going with a newer barrel. Now just playing the waiting game, which is OK... a year or two ago I abandoned the idea of even trying an A1 build after apex and whoever else sold out of their kits.
Top Top