Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:44:59 PM EDT
Does anyone know if it is possible and allowable to remove a Colt M4 (6400C) compensator and install an A2 flash hider?  (This version also has the pinned stock, which I would like to change for the real thing.)

I was going to add a picture but I can figure out how.

The compensator is pinned on.  I just would like the looks of the A2 better, as more similar to the actual M4.

Anyone out there have any ideas.  I would appreciate any feedback.

Doug
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don'tknow your state laws, but it can be done. Get in touch with a company named ADCO they can do it for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, welcome to the site.

Yes, the compensator can be removed and an A2 flash suppressor installed. I'd recommend sending the upper off to ADCO for the work.

EDIT: Looks like RolandofGilead beat me to the punch while I was goofing around looking for ADCO's website.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:34:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I'll check Adco out.

Doug
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Good suggestion to go to Adco, M4Madness.  Thanks.

I do have a couple of followup questions.

Where is the start of the barrel, for measuring OAL?  Is there a reference point on the outside of the rifle, like the front end of the ring, or the end of the receiver?

The reason that I am asking is that the 6400C muzzle brake is longer (OAL ~2.25") than the A2 FH and because of this, I wonder if I may not have a long enough barrel to have the A2 installed and still make 16".

Also, would someone tell me how to post a picture?

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!

Doug
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure your barrel without the compensator is 16.1" long. The only reason it was pinned on is because the flash hider was one of the banned features, not because it was used to make the barrel the legal 16".
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where is the start of the barrel, for measuring OAL?

With the bolt in place, drop a dowel down the barrel and mark it where it exits the barrel. OAL is measured from the face of the bolt to the muzzle.

I wonder if I may not have a long enough barrel to have the A2 installed and still make 16".

I'm pretty sure that the 6400C has a 16" barrel. If so, an A2 flash suppressor would be legal.

Also, would someone tell me how to post a picture?

1. First you need to sign up for a free picture hosting site. I use www.hunt101.com.
2. After creating an album, upload any pictures that you want to store on the host site.
3. When you have the photo(s) in the album, click on the thumbnail photo to enlarge it to full size.
4. “Right” click on the photo and scroll down to “Properties” and “Left” click.
5. Find the address in the box that appears.
6. “Left” click behind the address and continue to hold the button down.
7. Move the cursor to the left until the entire address is highlighted and release the button.
8. “Right” click and scroll down to “Copy” and “Left” click.
9. Go to your post or reply on AR15.COM and “Right” click in the text box.
10. Scroll down to “Paste” and “Left” click.
11. Add {img} in front of the address that you have pasted and {/img} after it, only substitute the brackets [ ] for {}.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your tips on pics, M4Madness.

This is my muzzle brake (if I have done it correctly).

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41bdf866z4d8c9541/bb3a/__sr_/b085re2.jpg?phoEMGEB1LsV01zV

If my barrel is long enough without the muzzle break (from ~bolt face as estimated on outside of rifle is about 16" to .1" short of first cutout on muzzle break), is there any advantage to not having the FH welded on?  What are the pros and cons?

Doug
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The photo not showing up, which is strange. If I click the "QUOTE" button on your post, I can copy the picture's link, paste it into my browser, and see the photo. But for some reason it won't hotlink -- maybe the photo hosting site that you are using doesn't allow it.

images.kodakgallery.com/photos1827/1/90/16/91/46/8/846911690107_0_ALB.jpg
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:15:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your input, Trainman.  I think you are correct.  I went back and measured roughly and came up with about 16" + a little.  So I think there is no issue with too short.

Doug
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
That is wierd that it is not showing up for you, because it shows up for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
M4Madness,

I am now on another PC and that picture does not show up on this one.  I see (or don't) what you are seeing.  So I will try another web host and see if it makes a dif.  Thanks for your coaching.

To anyone, re: a fixed FH versus one that can be removed, any advantages either way?

Doug
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
a fixed FH versus one that can be removed, any advantages either way?

A removeable flash suppressor allows you to swap flash suppressors at will, install a legal sound suppressor, or even install a free-float tube. You want to be able to remove the flash suppressor if legally possible.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the reply, M4Madness.

I thought that might be the case.  That is what I will opt for.  I am going to have Adco do it.

Doug
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone know what the barrel of the 6400C looks like under the pinned on compensator?

Is it threaded?

Do the pins go through the barrel.

Or is the barrel grooved where the pins go through?

My barrel is greater than 16" w/o the compensator.  I would like to remove the compensator.  Can  I drive out the pins?

Feedback from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Doug
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top