Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2003 2:06:01 PM EDT

After reviewing a few of the previous threads on AR pistols, I'm a bit confused about what law keeps the weight of the handgun from being over a certain limit (I believe 50oz.) Also, is this the same law that will not allow a vertical grip and or a handguard to be installed on a AR pistol?

Is it the 94 AWB? (that might be gone in a year)
And if so, will the above mentioned features/limitations be no longer applicable or is it some other sort of legislation that I'm not aware of.

Can anyone shed some light on the issue?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:22:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2003 3:24:34 PM EDT by Stryfe]
the answer is, yup. It's the AWB, but not all handguns are restricted to 50oz. Only those with a detachable mag that is not in the grip. Edited to add
Pistols For a pistol to be considered a “SAW,” among other things, it must have the ability to accept a detachable magazine, plus two of the following features: -Magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip -Threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer* -Shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned -Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded -Semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:36:06 PM EDT
Ok, then to recap, it will be ok for anyone to buy a new AR reciever, register it as a pistol reciever and then put a 8 inch barrel with a handguard, vertical pistol grip and standard AR detachable magazine if the ban sunsets in 2004? This all assuming it does not have any means to attach a stock as this would obviously make it Class 3. Do I have that right? Sorry if I'm a tad slow on the uptake when it comes to the AWB issue.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:56:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rockclimbg: Ok, then to recap, it will be ok for anyone to buy a new AR reciever, register it as a pistol reciever with a vertical pistol grip?
View Quote
That part, I'm fuzzy on myself. Is it okay to have a VFG on any pistol? I'm not sure what the process is on having a lower registered as a pistol. I think it has to be transfered to the FFL as a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:13:44 PM EDT
No you don't have it right. Any pistol designed to be held by the means of two vertical pistol grips is an NFA weapon classified as AOW
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:26:55 PM EDT
***No you don't have it right. Any pistol designed to be held by the means of two vertical pistol grips is an NFA weapon classified as AOW*** That said, Would it be ok to put a handguard on the AR pistol assuming the AWB of 94 sunsets? No vertical,just something so you don't burn your hands. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:45:21 PM EDT
Top Top