Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/27/2016 6:27:07 PM EDT
Anderson Lower.  Main problem I had was the out-of-spec buffer retainer pin location which allows the buffer to strike the retainer pin causing damage to the buffer.  I had to purchase a Offset Buffer Retainer pin.

Good info here:  Buffer face damage
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
How common is this? I might have a few of these unassembled that I am now worried about
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You just need to look at the retainer pin location. Compare a with another, if it is out of place you will notice it quick.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
This picture is with the offset retainer pin.  You can also see the damage caused to the buffer.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you identify that from an out of spec BCG?  Did you try another BCG?  How about another upper?  

Just curious.  I am popping open my Anderson build right now, but don't expect to see anything.

Nothing found.  I cycled my stainless 92 Rossi about 30 times while I was on the boat.  

It is nice to know the offset retainer pin is available.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I double checked with my lowers and they are ALL with the retainer ONE thread back from the pocket (retainer almost kissing the pocket edge). Your retainer is too far back (causing the buffer to hit the retainer instead of the carrier pushing it back). That's an out of spec receiver. Contact Anderson and have it replaced!
Thank you for posting this... now we all know to check ours prior to build! Ugh... now I have to add THAT to my "quick check" prior to building them too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
This Anderson lower has a bumpfire stock.  It has been used with the following uppers: LWRC, RUGER and Sig Sauer. Prior to installing the Offset Buffer Retainer pin, when you closed the upper down it didn't contact the buffer. Like the buffer was to far back. You can see the wear on the buffer from the original retaining pin contacting the buffer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This Anderson lower has a bumpfire stock.  It has been used with the following uppers: LWRC, RUGER and Sig Sauer. Prior to installing the Offset Buffer Retainer pin, when you closed the upper down it didn't contact the buffer. Like the buffer was to far back. You can see the wear on the buffer from the original retaining pin contacting the buffer.
View Quote

Dang, you're more patient than I am. I would have sent that back instead of fixing it with an offset retainer (which I didn't even know existed until now!).
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Email sent to Anderson.  I will post the reply.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#10]
How did you notice that this was an issue in the first place? Did it cause a malfunction without the offset retainer?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Just checked my lower, same hole location and same wear pattern on the buffer.
Please post up when you hear back from Anderson.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Email sent to Anderson.  I will post the reply.
View Quote

I've heard that Anderson is pretty good with their CS. I'm sure they'll take it back and exchange it for you. Keep us posted (and I'm glad you're you'll be exchanging it instead of living with that offset retainer, as you shouldn't have to do that)!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd contact Anderson, if I were you. The retainer should be almost kissing the pocket (about ONE thread back from it). If it's any more rearward... I foresee problems there.

ALL of my Anderson lowers have the pin in exactly this location (as stated), (from my last build):

Notice how close the retainer base edge is to the pocket (almost kissing it). That's where it should be (about ONE thread back). If your retainer is placed further back... it's out of spec and I'd contact Anderson ASAP.

And another Anderson of mine just for good measure:

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Using the pocket as a reference point isn't a good idea as the manufacturers mill them out to different lengths. It would be better to use the face of the receiver extension hole where the upper meets the lower. Use something thin and flat like a feeler gauge or string and then measure the distance.
Eta: spelling.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Using the pocket as a reference point isn't a good idea as the manufacturers mill them out to different lengths. It would be better to use the face of the receiver extension whole where the upper meets the lower. Use something thin and flat like a feeler gauge or string and then measure the distance.
View Quote

Not really. You could eyeball the rear take down pin (as in the photos). That position doesn't change (mil spec). The distance between take down pin and retainer should always be the same (regardless of manufacturer) and would have the same "shape" (rear pocket). .
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not really. You could eyeball the rear take down pin (as in the photos). That position doesn't change (mil spec). The distance between take down pin and retainer should always be the same (regardless of manufacturer) and would have the same "shape" (rear pocket). .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Using the pocket as a reference point isn't a good idea as the manufacturers mill them out to different lengths. It would be better to use the face of the receiver extension whole where the upper meets the lower. Use something thin and flat like a feeler gauge or string and then measure the distance.

Yes, I was going to mention using the take-down pin as a way to measure also but I forgot.
It's funny, but my Colt Sporter has the retaining pin barely behind 1 thread, like your pics, leaving a very thin wall but shows zero wear on the buffer. But my EA lower that I built on shows about 2 1/2 threads and also shows zero wear. If I have time I'll measure from the takedown pin this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone else make those pins?  $15 seems kinda steep...

I know one of mine has been beating up the buffer some (making marks on it anyway)

Going by pics of when I assembled it (I don't have the rifle here at work with me) it looks like the buffer is sticking out like in the other post though... is some normal?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Back in the original form.  Notice buffer barely sticks out.  Getting ready to ship back to Anderson.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Great, I just so happened to be fooling with a spikes lower of mine that I'm taking down and noticed that the buffer retainer hole is 2 threads back.

It's out of spec based on what some of you guys are saying.

Time to go to the band saw.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I had this exact same problem with my Anderson lower.  I had little pockmarks all over the face of my buffer after the first time I function-fired my newly built AR.  I bought my lower thru Primary Arms, and they put me in touch with Anderson.  I made a nice powerpoint slideshow showing them the problem.  I guess they believed me, because they sent me a postage-paid envelope to send it in.  They sent me a new one free of charge, and it works perfectly.  They even installed the bolt-catch for me, since I couldn't/was scared to remove the original one.  It took a few weeks, but I was very pleased with their integrity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Great, I just so happened to be fooling with a spikes lower of mine that I'm taking down and noticed that the buffer retainer hole is 2 threads back.

View Quote

Yeah, the thread count between the retainer pin hole and the pocket is not a valid way of checking if it's in the right spot.  While closing your upper to your lower, if your BCG comes into contact with the buffer and pushes it back just a tiny bit, then everything is fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't know they even made offset pins. I filed mine flat on the buffer side. It works good now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Uh, it was a $40 lower. What did you think you were getting?

I know lots of people say thre's nothing but name brand difference, but I think all QC has been eliminated to bring this price point.

Contact Anderson, get it replaced. They factored stuff like this in when they decided to take this business approach.

Especially since so few people will ever recognize the problems, makes it an even more profitable approach.

You may want to take drill bits and just make sure all the holes are the right size, depth, and location (if you can). Aligned on each side anyway.

And don't be surprised if you find issues.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, the thread count between the retainer pin hole and the pocket is not a valid way of checking if it's in the right spot.  While closing your upper to your lower, if your BCG comes into contact with the buffer and pushes it back just a tiny bit, then everything is fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, about the thread count. My 2 rifles show different thread count but are both perfectly spaced and in spec.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#25]
My two month old Anderson $50 stripped lower in this simple carbine build is just fine. The entire head of the buffer protrudes out of the lower extension, as it should.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Received this email from Anderson today:

Your lower receiver has been shipped back UPS. An explanation of the findings is including in the box. Have a great day.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I guess I will find out if they replaced the lower or repaired it?  They only had it for about 5 hours.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Your lower receiver has been shipped back UPS. An explanation of the findings is including in the box. Have a great day.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I guess I will find out if they replaced the lower or repaired it?  They only had it for about 5 hours.
View Quote

I'm hoping they replaced it! I can't possibly see how they'd "repair" that in any decent fashion. It's a $45 lower... they should just replace the dang thing. If they give you any BS about it being "normal", I'd raise hell about it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Roscoe_1,

QQ, did you have to strip the lower back down to send it in?  I have the same issue with one I just built.  Did they pay for the shipping to them?

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Anderson didn't say anything about stripping the lower before returning.  It was all anderson parts. Yes they did pay for return shipping.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#30]
My Anderson sheared off the buffer detent pin and it got under the trigger and locked it up.

I went for the quick fix and picked up the offset pin. Have not test fired yet but the buffer does stick out now like it should.
Offset pin

This lower is tied to a SBR. (My friend gave me a subtle warning when I told him I SBR'd an Anderson. He said he would have went with something "high end". Maybe I should have.)

Dumb question: If I decided to send it back to Anderson, is there any way to get the same serial number back?

If not, I assume I would have to let the ATF know that my serial number changed. Somebody school me.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#31]
When I sent my cracked LWRC lower back to LWRC they replaced it with a upgraded version and a new serial number.  Sent directly to me with paper work showing the exchange.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#32]
The Anderson Lower is back.  They did not replace the lower, instead they replaced the buffer.

Note as follows:  Replaced damaged buffer with a modified buffer. should solve the problem.

I will paost a picture later.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Personally ,I don't like that fix.   I rather go with the offset pin.  What if your not using it for 223/556 or want to put in a heavier buffer?  I guess I'll just order the offset pin,  I rather have a a spec lower, but for under $50 lower, I guess I'm asking too much.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Personally I think they should of replaced the lower. No changing the buffer out for sure.  I will see how this quick fix works next range day.

Shipping the lower on a Monday and got it back today.  Took one day longer because UPS transfered it to USPS.

Link Posted: 11/5/2016 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#35]
kind of makes me mad that they rather spend their money on a quick fixes then on QA.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Personally I think they should of replaced the lower. No changing the buffer out for sure.  I will see how this quick fix works next range day.

Shipping the lower on a Monday and got it back today.  Took one day longer because UPS transfered it to USPS.

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy329/Kirk_Steinhoff/AR%2015/IMG_5567_zpslzrzh0fx.jpg
View Quote

What the hell kind of shit is that!? Why in the hell would you put a non standard part into play in order to remedy a defect?
OP, I use Andersons. I've been lucky, 6 times now.  They all function fine and fit/finish wise I am more than satisfied.  This blows  my mind.

Not acceptable, imo. Not only is it non standard but I'd be pissed if I ever bought that from you/anyone down the road.Even if it functions fine, where are you going to get a replacement in the future? Whats it called ? Do they have them in different weights?  Follow me?

The beauty of the AR is the standardization of parts. I would be telling Anderson to kick rocks, I want another. One that is to SPEC.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#37]
If this odd ball modified buffer doesn't work, I will just use the Offset Buffer Retainer pin. And never buy another Anderson product again.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#38]
From the looks of it, I bet it will function fine. Thats not the point tho.
The offset retainer, while also non standard, would be my choice. Good luck ,OP.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Sucks that they did that.
I just went with the offset pin, just really didn't want to send it back, and a range trip confirmed that the buffer is not getting chewed up.
Band-Aid fix, yes, but it solved the problem and I doubt I will ever have to deal with the pin again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#40]
That sucks they didn't replace the lower. I noticed my colt csr doing the same thing to my buffer. Bold ideas in texas that makes the colt competition rifles tells me to send it to them on their dime they want to see it and are planning on replacing my lower and buffer. I mentioned the offset pin to them and they said that is just a bandaid in their opinion and if its out of spec they want to fix it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#41]
What did they save there $15-$20.

At the least, I would contact customer service.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Goes back to the old saying you get what you pay for.  I the past I had always used either PWA or SGW / Olympic Arms lowers for any builds.  Never had any problems with those being out of spec.  Now if this was a Colt, Ruger, LWRC, Daniel Defense, chances are it would never of left the factory with this defect and if it did they would replace the entire lower.  

I know for a fact that LWRC and Daniel Defense stand 100% behind their products.  

Fact is problems like this will decrease sales for Anderson.  Duh some people do read reviews.  

True this modified buffer looks like it will fix the problem, but I am stuck with this buffer or I will have to use the offset retainer pin.  

Off to the range next Wednsday.  I'll let everyone know if it works correctly.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Just get the offset pin.  Get a spare if you really want to be future-safe.  It'll then function exactly like it should and you won't be tied to a weird buffer forever.  Anderson screwed the pooch here by not replacing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Goes back to the old saying you get what you pay for.  I the past I had always used either PWA or SGW / Olympic Arms lowers for any builds.  Never had any problems with those being out of spec.  Now if this was a Colt , Ruger, LWRC, Daniel Defense, chances are it would never of left the factory with this defect and if it did they would replace the entire lower.  

I know for a fact that LWRC and Daniel Defense stand 100% behind their products.  

Fact is problems like this will decrease sales for Anderson.  Duh some people do read reviews.  

True this modified buffer looks like it will fix the problem, but I am stuck with this buffer or I will have to use the offset retainer pin.  

Off to the range next Wednsday.  I'll let everyone know if it works correctly.  
View Quote

Actually there is another member here in a related thread going thu the same situation with his Colt lower. Any mfgr can have a screw up, how they handle it is the  key, imo.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 3:41:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Their "fix" was just to mill down the face of the buffer?
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm sending in my Anderson lower for the same reason as the OP. I'll update with how they handle mine. I mentioned that I had a rifle buffer to Anderson and they mentioned that they don't have a milled down version of the rifle buffers. So fingers crossed that they do the right thing and replace the lower for me. If not I'll never order from Anderson again.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm sending in my Anderson lower for the same reason as the OP. I'll update with how they handle mine. I mentioned that I had a rifle buffer to Anderson and they mentioned that they don't have a milled down version of the rifle buffers. So fingers crossed that they do the right thing and replace the lower for me. If not I'll never order from Anderson again.
View Quote

Yes it will be interesting to see what they do.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#48]
You should have stripped it and sent it, the milled buffer is crap. I've built 5 of these and always "stuck up for them" but I'm regretting that. For the recorded none of my five have this problem.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You should have stripped it and sent it, the milled buffer is crap. I've built 5 of these and always "stuck up for them" but I'm regretting that. For the recorded none of my five have this problem.
View Quote

I have used several, issue free. And will continue until something like this happens to me. If/when it does, if Anderson doesnt make it right? Ill find another supplier.

Am already entertaining the idea of using Aero. Hear alot of good things. We will see.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd contact Anderson, if I were you. The retainer should be almost kissing the pocket (about ONE thread back from it). If it's any more rearward... I foresee problems there.

ALL of my Anderson lowers have the pin in exactly this location (as stated), (from my last build):

<a href="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/kmildhs/media/IMG_1274.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/kmildhs/IMG_1274.jpg</a>

Notice how close the retainer base edge is to the pocket (almost kissing it). That's where it should be (about ONE thread back). If your retainer is placed further back... it's out of spec and I'd contact Anderson ASAP.

<a href="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/kmildhs/media/IMG_1275.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/kmildhs/IMG_1275.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/kmildhs/media/IMG_1274.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/kmildhs/IMG_1274.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/kmildhs/media/IMG_1275.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/kmildhs/IMG_1275.jpg</a>

I don't think that's what OP is saying. Look at the pin itself in OPs picture. The nub that sticks up and keep the buffer in place is actually offset.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top