Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2003 6:11:46 PM EDT
As someone who has bashed on Oly here on the forums for their at times lack of QC on their shipped rifles, I need to give credit where credit is due.

My local dealer has a constant parade of Oly's in his shop for me to fondle and play critic on.  I've posted here and have also told my dealer, if an Oly came through the shop the equal of my ArmaLite and Bushmaster AR's in fit and finish I'd buy...

Well, one did... and I did... a PCR-16 showed up that was flawless.  Smooth, tight, and perfect, with one of the better trigger pulls I've seen on a factory shipped gun.  After spending nearly an hour nearly taking it apart trying to find SOMETHING to complain about, I gave up.  I tried to not like it because it didn't have a chrome-lined barrel, but it didn't work.  Oly built a rifle I had to have.  A silly yellow form and $670 later, a new AR came home.  

Once she's setup with an ARMS #5 and an as yet to be selected Leupold, I'll bet she'll play hell with the local woodchuck population...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I say if it looks good, and the price is right why not? Good luck with that new Oly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
So they screwed up and made one right?

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess so... and I got it...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It should not be a miricle when a company makes one right. Thats the problem with oly they make 5 good guns for every 10 they make. The other 5 are not so good.
PAT
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It should not be a miricle when a company makes one right. Thats the problem with oly they make 5 good guns for every 10 they make. The other 5 are not so good.
PAT
View Quote

wow, what did you do with the 5 other bad ones? You must have alot of loot laying around.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster & Colt have bad weapons as well.  Oly makes a good product, let us know how it shoots for you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

So do you and glockphan troll the board just waiting for someone to comment on their Olympic rifle so you can bash them? If you can't offer something constructive why don't you keep it to yourself and STFU.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#9]
It's too bad a C-Lined barrel doesn't come standard on them. I for one am glad to hear such news. I am a Bushmaster owner and as such, a fan. All other rifles being = (and compertively priced) I will give my business to Bushmaster.

However, news like this benefits us all -those of us at least that aren't diehards, who buy a product solely on its name independent of its quality. It forces companies to stay competitive in terms of quality and pricing. After all, if you want $250 more for your rifle in a market where there are at least 3 quality competitors, then you damn well better have justification. So If Oly is handling their business then I am glad, as it forces A,B,C to stay sharp or come down in price.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#11]
So do you and glockphan troll the board just waiting for someone to comment on their Olympic rifle so you can bash them?
END

Actually I do feel it is my responsibility to warn all potential buyers of what kind of company Oly is. I do this by sharing my bad experience with them.

SNIP
If you can't offer something constructive why don't you keep it to yourself and STFU.
END

Why don't you go F yourself. People have a right to know the positive but they also have a right to know the negative.

For your information here is the results of a poll I placed on another web fourm.

Which Brand has given you the most trouble free service?
You have already voted on this poll.  
Colt        13 22.41%
Armalite      2 3.45%
Bushmaster  26 44.83%
Olympic       3 5.17%
RRA         10 17.24%
DPMS          4 6.90%
Total: 58 votes 100%

What AR15 type rifle brand has given you the most problems?
You have already voted on this poll.  
Colt         1 5.56%
Armalite     1 5.56%
Bushmaster  4 22.22%
Olympic    11 61.11%
RRA             0 0%
DPMS         1 5.56%
Total: 18 votes 100%

The numbers speak for themselves.
PAT

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So do you and glockphan troll the board just waiting for someone to comment on their Olympic rifle so you can bash them? If you can't offer something constructive why don't you keep it to yourself and STFU.
View Quote

...enough said martin.  nice job.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey for what its worth.My first AR was a Oly.It was an outstanding,firearm.I currently own a Colt.But I would not think twice about purchasing another Oly.Their prices are great,not to mention.LIFETIME WARRANTY.The most expensive,dosn't always equate with the best quality.Just look at the M4gery fad.Nuff said.Purchase what your budget dictates.The most important thing is SHOOT and have FUN.Dont let your lack of finance,constrain from enjoying this hobby.Shop well and enjoy.By the way join the N.R.A.At least think about it.  Ratbagz
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Actually I do feel it is my responsibility to warn all potential buyers of what kind of company Oly is. I do this by sharing my bad experience with them.

Why don't you go F yourself. People have a right to know the positive but they also have a right to know the negative.

View Quote

Your's (and MarksmartassM's) "warnings" go way beyond what most of us want to hear, actually being rather insulting most of the time. All you have to offer is negative regarding one particular manufacturer. So lets take a poll and see how many on AR15.com find you annoying and obnoxious. Bet you would not care to see those results...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Martin... It seems that the oly poll is more objective than your own comment attempting to shout the commentator down.  You were the one who went profanity and personal attack first.  THAT I don't like to see.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Martin... It seems that the oly poll is more objective than your own comment attempting to shout the commentator down.  You were the one who went profanity and personal attack first.  THAT I don't like to see.
View Quote

In thread after thread after thread that gets posted by someone requesting help, info or advice regarding Olympic firearms, these two always show up to do their ritual bashing. Did Darkstar ask for their obviously biased comments? No. He merely stated a fact that could be applied to every manufacturer out there. If myself, or anyone else, beat on A,B, or C like they have, they would be drummed off the forum. I would not normally comment like that, but enough is enough. Everyone on here has heard their crap until they're sick. And I would hardly consider his poll "objective" when he conducted it, has multiple sign-ons, and had a whopping 18 responses of troubled weapons.

Personally, I am happy for anyone who does their homework and makes a wise choice in what they buy, no matter what the brand. I would not go out of my way to make sure that I called a company's products s#*t because I had a bad experience. Better take a closer look at who is always doing the crying, instead of who is "shouting". Stay happy, Mr.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
martinTN
I could care less how annoying you find me. I will continue to share how I feel about oly and other manufactures.
PAT
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Dont worry about Glocksucker. He has been doing that for quite a while now. In fact I hardly see him post unless it relates to talking bad about oly. I dont even own one and he pisses me off. Maybe instead of posting he could take an AR made by a manufacturer that he likes and blow his brains out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
[size=6]No one wants you here. Go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size=6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#20]
My first AR15 was an Oly Service Match.  Second was an Oly CAR.  I also have an Oly Ultramatch.  I've been happy with all three, even though my older son finally got me to trade him the PREBAN CAR for his POSTBAN Ultramatch.  Well, at least he shut up about it.

Seriously, am a happy Oly owner.

----
Go stainless, it's painless.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Dont worry about Glocksucker. He has been doing that for quite a while now. In fact I hardly see him post unless it relates to talking bad about oly. I dont even own one and he pisses me off. Maybe instead of posting he could take an AR made by a manufacturer that he likes and blow his brains out.
END

Wow such a witty reply. You realy put me in my place. One thing about arguing with idiots first they drag you down to their level then they beat you with experience.
PAT
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#22]
No, glockfruit does not whine only about OLY's

he also whines cause he has shit for trigger control, and can fire his ar10 without double taps.

He pisses and moans more than anyone I ever heard before.

Maybe he should give up guns for a hobby and take up needlepoint.

TXL
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Oly's quality is as good as the rest of the major manufacturers.  Their customer service has majorily improved over the last 3 years, along with their lifetime warrenty, they are hard to beat!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey, I think MartinTN has a winner of an idea. END                                             We need to start up a vote and get rid of that son of a bitch.                                          END                                             He contributes nothing.                         END                                             He's the kind of person that makes a newbee not come back because he made thim think they have an inferior AR.                                 END                                             And not only that he is a dick.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#25]
How do you set up a poll?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#26]
TxLewis

Still no responce on my postal match challenge. If I have such poor trigger control you should be able to win. Come on put your money where your mouth is.

Just so everyone knows my AR10T doubled on everyone that fired it except the Armalite rep. No other 308 semi auto I have owned or fired has doubled for me. As soon as I replaced the trigger with a KAC trigger the doubling went away. No according to TXlewis and his room temp IQ I have a trigger control problem. TX as soon as you get certified as a firearms instructor as I have been you can't talk to me about trigger control. Your simply not qualified. Your obviously a rabid Armalite fan who ignores the truth to defend his favorate company. At least you did not break down to your typical junior high level behavior and start throwing out 4 letter words. Now run along and let the adults talk.
PAT  
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Para I am the kind of poster who lets newbe's know the truth about certain gun manufactures. Some of them are inferrior. Again your endless whit and use of highschool level english curse words is stunning. You realy got me. (lol)
PAT
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#28]
The original purpose of my post was to let everyone know how improved in fit and finish the Oly rifles have become, not to start a flame war.  I'm a snob regarding rifles, and I was very pleased to see Oly building such an outstanding AR.  Don't let just the name on the receiver keep you from looking.  The Oly I purchased was the equal of the other Top Tier manufacturers, simple as that.  Now if they would just embrace chrome-lining with a bit more vigor...

It's myopic to believe that a manufacturer can't make the improvements necessary to enter the Top Tier, and it's just as myopic to believe that a manufacturer already considered Top Tier can't have some serious quality issues that should remove it from Top Tier consideration, except shooters still buy their AR's based on their former glory, not their current state of manufacture...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#29]
If I remember when honda and toyota first came to the US they were criticized for having poor quality.  I don't think anyone would question that they responded to consumer needs and now build an excellent product.  Can this not be said for OLY?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The original purpose of my post was to let everyone know how improved in fit and finish the Oly rifles have become, not to start a flame war.  I'm a snob regarding rifles, and I was very pleased to see Oly building such an outstanding AR.  Don't let just the name on the receiver keep you from looking.  The Oly I purchased was the equal of the other Top Tier manufacturers, simple as that.  Now if they would just embrace chrome-lining with a bit more vigor...

It's myopic to believe that a manufacturer can't make the improvements necessary to enter the Top Tier, and it's just as myopic to believe that a manufacturer already considered Top Tier can't have some serious quality issues that should remove it from Top Tier consideration, except shooters still buy their AR's based on their former glory, not their current state of manufacture...
View Quote

Thank you. Now if you can just explain it to Glockflame maybe he'll get the picture. I am happy you got a quality Oly weapon. I purchased an SUM 2 1/2 yrs ago and it was awesome out of the box, still is, BTW. Could have done the same with AB or C, but Oly had some features and options I really liked. Good luck with the PCR16, break in the barrel carefully and you'll likely have a tack driver. As I understand it, chrome will take away a little accuracy but add some protection if you are really gonna abuse it. I've had real good experience with the 40gr Vmax moly and H335. Out here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#31]
If all the manufacturers buy their components from contractors, what's the story about quality? If you put a RRA upper on an Oly lower is it now a junker that won't function? If you take an Oly upper and put it on  a Bushy, will it fail to function?

If manufacturers can't successfully put a functional AR together, how in the world does Joe Sixpack that buys a pile of parts ever get one to work?

The parts are all turned out on CNC equipment. It's not like there's a guy in the back room making these things with a file and a deft touch. If they are machined to spec (and they are), it's doesn't make any difference if the thing has a snake or a horse on the side.

Personally, I don't think there's a spits worth of difference in the rifles that are using spec parts.  If you dig a little bit, I think you will find improperly cleaned and lubricated rifles are probably the ones malfunctioning the most often, followed by POS aftermarket magazines that some guy picked up at the flea market for $5.

AR-15's aren't complicated. If it ain't working right, there are only so many things that can cause it malfunction, and it probably didn't happen at the factory.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#32]

I would suggest ignoring those few who always complain too loudly about most anything - they ususally have an agenda...

If you buy RRA, DPMS, Olympic Arms, Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, or Eagle you very likely be satisfied.  These are your top 6 well known companies (Eagle == Armalite for all intents and purposes).

There are some new companies who are getting into business.  They are a watch and learn situation.  One hopes they will join the top 6.

There are some who have been around for a while and as a general rule you do not want to deal with them.  Every now and then things go well, but when they go suoth, it is no fun.  We all hope these companies improve their product and customer service, but none of us want to be the first to find out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:09:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gosh if there wasn't people like glockfan, who would protect us from the bad guys?

Thanks you so much for the enlightenment of how horrible those Oly people are.

Give it a rest, glockfan.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I still don't understand why everyone's so bigoted about chrome lined barrels.  They impair accuracy and don't really do much to make the barrel last longer if you are cleaning it regularly.  If you want a little extra velocity, try a hotter round.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I like my Oly and the previous owner won the last couple of years local service rifle championships with it. Though I should add that it has a heavy barrel Bushmaster upper ;)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top