Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/21/2003 7:38:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2003 7:51:29 PM EDT by brouhaha]
Please add your personal experience with SAPSAN (probably Ulyanovsk manufacture)ammunition to this thread. When you do, please give information about:
1) Ammunition used
2) Firearm used in
3) Approximate number of rounds fired.

This ammunition has recently surfaced and seems very cheap (~$85/case). Since several people have expressed interest in this ammo, I have decided to add this poll to start gathering knowledge.

Let's limit this to .223/5.56 ammunition, since this is an AR-15 forum. No offense to the guys with AR's in other calibers, but we all know that .223 chamberings are the most sensitive.

I am trying to solicit only information about your PERSONAL experience with this ammunition. If you haven't used it, then please don't clutter up the thread. Information about proper functioning (or lack thereof) is obviously the most important, but factors such as the accuracy or other peculiarities you've noticed are informative also. If you have had problems with this ammo which were severe enough to cause you to stop using this ammo, then please describe them. And one more minor request: keep your reviews objective.

This post is part of a larger information-gathering effort I'm trying to start about ALL ammunition popular in AR's:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=169729.

Poll edited with Zhukov's permission to change ammo brand -brou
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:36:45 PM EDT
I have shot over 500 rnds of this with no problems. I have shot it in a Bushmaster upper franken rifle and a Colt match target. This ammo doesn't stink like Wolf and seems to be a little more accurate. It has red sealant at case mouth but has posed no problems. I will continue to use it for plinking and blasting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:45:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Westwind: I have shot over 500 rnds of this with no problems. I have shot it in a Bushmaster upper franken rifle and a Colt match target. This ammo doesn't stink like Wolf and seems to be a little more accurate. It has red sealant at case mouth but has posed no problems. I will continue to use it for plinking and blasting.
View Quote
There are zero votes so far in this poll. So you bothered to post this message but must have forgotten to VOTE!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:47:51 AM EDT
Just a quick note: It might have been premature to add this stuff to the poll, but I thought that there's been some interest due to the low price, so I might as well get the poll started. I'll do some more "mainstream" stuff probably next week. I need to add UMC and PMC when page 1 ammo polls start disappearing - I don't want too many of them on page 1 cluttering up the board.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:33:30 PM EDT
Range report.... Today, we fired 300 rounds of the Sapsan ammo from www.sportsmansguide.com The ammo uses a copper over steel bimetal bullet jacket. It has the red sealer too and uses the mil. spec. coating on the steel case like other Russian ammo. Sapsan is made by Uly. Today, we used two Oly PCR-3s. The PCR-3 uses a .223 chamber for a tighter fit. While this chamber should help the rife group better, one might expect more feed and extraction problems. We used USGI mags with anti-tilt followers. Out of the 300 rounds, we didn't have any feed or extraction problems. All 300 rounds fired without any problems noted. Our 100 meter bench rest today was a battle pack of 7.62x54 ammo (less than perfect). My partner and I each shot 5x 30 round groups looking for trends. We each had a flyer or two on each 30 round group. I would blame that on the shooters. 95% of all hits were inside 2 1/2 MOA. Most were inside 1 1/2 MOA. None were beyond 4 MOA. My guess is that we could expect just a tick over 2 MOA out of this ammo or about 1/2 MOA worse than XM193. As for velocity, it was around 3025, or well below XM193. A little weak for 55gr bullet. About the same we see from Wolf and perhaps a tick less than Barnaul. The SAPSAN was a little dirty when compared to XM193, but nothing I can't handle. About the same as other Russian brands. I would rate this as good plinking ammo. Way better than Wolf and about the same as Barnaul, not even close to XM193. At under 9 cents per shot at my front door, you can't beat the value. Kill cans with the Sapsan and buy XM193 for and defense needs. Cheers, DD
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:41:10 PM EDT
Sapsan is made by Uly. Also Brown Silver bear is made by both Uly and Barnaul. Listing the ammo as one when it is made in two different factories is not accurate. I have had no problems with the Sapsan.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 12:04:33 AM EDT
Shot around 500 rounds of it soo far. Can tell its not as accurate as some of the other more expensive ammo, but for 9 cents a bullet can't be beat for plinking.
Top Top