Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2005 11:54:00 AM EDT
This poll is only about commercial PMP ammunition, NOT the South African battle packs. Most PMP ammo boxes have a picture of a gazelle on them

Since the previous poll about PMP has been archived, I have started a new thread to collect more information as this ammunition is still for sale, and questions come up at least once a week in the ammo forum. The previous results were:

118 TOTAL votes
99 Have Not had any problems at all (83.9%)
10 Had some problems, but would continue to use the ammunition (8.5%)
9 Have had major problems, and would not use the ammunition again. (7.6%)

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY VOTED IN THE PREVIOUS POLL, PLEASE DO NOT VOTE AGAIN.

I will add the totals and generate a correct count for the ranking in the Ammunition review thread

Please add your personal experience with Remington/UMC ammunition to this thread. When you do, please give information about:
1) Firearm used in
2) Approximate number of rounds fired.
3) Ammunition type

I am trying to solicit only information about your PERSONAL experience with this ammunition. If you haven't used it, then please don't clutter up the thread. Information about proper functioning (or lack thereof) is obviously the most important, but factors such as the accuracy or other peculiarities you've noticed are informative also. If you have had problems with this ammo which were severe enough to cause you to stop using this ammo, then please describe them. And one more minor request: keep your reviews objective.

THE ARCHIVE SERVER IS UP! I was able to get the information from the previous post and condense them:

JimmyT:
I've shot about 1500 rounds of it through my Bushmaster M4. It's great plinking ammo, but a little under-powered when compared to XM193. Other than that it's clean, cheap, and reliable - no malfunctions to speak of. I'd compare it to the Winchester white box .223 you get at Wal-Mart in the 40 round value packs. I would definitely recommend as a good plinking ammo.

NESurvival:
I bought 1000 rounds of around Y2K. So far I've shot 500 of it (some twice). The ammo shoots fine. While my novice skills, gritty trigger doesn't allow this every time, my very first HPR match, the very first shot was in the 'x' with PMP from 200 yards. I don't use it at the 600 yard line but I use this ammo for the following: Plink/Reload/HPR I reload them with 69gr and I may have gone overboard with one batch where I had some flattened primers. However, I can confidently say that I've had 0% problems with this ammo either factory or my own reloads. My rifle is a stock 20" Bushmaster A2.

mr_wilson:
PMP, brownish boxed w/ Gazelle on it ammo, civilian production. Bought 500 rounds of it and have 2 ARs which are single shot rifles with this ammo, as it doesn't have enough "ooomph" to cycle properly. Double feed jams were common. That said I have two other ARs that it runs relatively fine in, other than being noticably under-powered ammo. I won't buy any more. Mike PS - this ammo was purchased the first time I saw some several years ago at the local gun-show, and maybe they have cured the problems I had by boosting it up some, based on the no-problem comments above.

Ohio:
Good ammo. Brass case, high quality loads. .223 Remington power, not M193. Excellent cases for reloading. I have used probaly 1000 rounds, with another 1000 in the house. I have loaded up to six times with no problems. My supplier has stopped carrying it due to exchange rate with South Africa. Where can it be gotten at a good price?

YANKEEFAN:
Great plinking ammo!!! I have shot 500 rounds through both my 20 inch Oly and my 16 inch Rock River M4gery. Not a problem or jam with it in either gun. I'd buy it again if I could find it.

7:
Two thumbs up here. It is just about the only ammo I've shot through my M15/M16's for the past 2-3 years. Gonna be sad to be out of it soon.

phoenix27:
I've shot 500+ rounds of the PMP .223 ammo through a trio of ARs in the form of a pre-ban Colt HBAR Sporter II, Bushmaster Shorty AK and Bushmaster 16-inch carbine. All three guns love this ammo, cycles well, shoots straight, but the .223 stuff is a bit underpowered compared to the usual 5.56 MM ammo like WIN Q3131A and Fed XM-193. The PMP stuff I really love is the South African mil-surplus 5.56 MM ammo from the mid-80s. This ammo is hot, shoots straight, has excellent terminal frag properties and is cheap if you can get the 300-round/900-round battle packs. Too many of us AR-15.com guys have been talking about it though and this has all but dried up from the marketplace. Too bad!

jack19512:
PMP will not cycle properly in my new armalite m15A2.

Buey:
1. 55 grn. 2. Bushmaster A1 3. 4000 rnds

-Absolut-:
about 1,000 rounds of PMP through my Bushy with no probs

Robertesq1:
I had some major problems with this stuff not ejecting (the casings getting stuck in the bbl) stuck so hard the ejector was cutting small notches into the casings. I even handed the stuff out to others on the line who had the sme problem in their weapons (including AR and Mini 14s). I know of someone here who expierenced the same with their full auto. I am convinced it was just a bad batch but will never buy the stuff again.

cnatra:
I've shot 1000+rds of the .223
firearms used:
Colt 6700
Bushmaster Dissipator
RRA M4gery

creeks:
1,000 rounds plus. In both a PWA and Bushmaster AR15. No problems.

Liaison:
Over 1,000 rds in both Bushmaster 16" Dissipator and ASA CAR. No problems with Bushmaster but extraction problems with the ASA as mentioned earlier in this thread (Robertesq1). Fairly dirty powder but worth the price 300 for 36- from cheaper than dirt or was it shooter's?

AR10TShooter:
About 200 rounds of this through 2 different ARs One is an Oly 16 in carbine and an Armalite 16 in.A few fail to extract problems,other than that everything was OK with it I would shoot it again

inferno715:
i bought a rifle from a guy last spring and it came with 1100rds of PMP. i think i sold 500rds and shot the rest. no problems in my AR. my buddy had problems with it but he had problems with every kind of ammo. good stuff, i would buy it again.

DonS:
Several hundred rounds in a Bushmaser XM15 with no problems.

JoelSmith:
1000 Rds in Oly PCR-16. No malfunctions and in comparison to the South African battle packs it is at least as accurate or better at 100 yds.

Torf:
Absolutely no problems here!

I have shot hundreds in my Bushmaster, and never had any issues. The price I bought it at was very good, accuracy was more than acceptable for plinking ammo, and the reliability was 100%.

The brass is high quality for reloading as well, so for a pretty cheap price, you get good quality .223 plinker ammo, and for free you get hundreds of quality 223 Remington brass cases that you can reload later.

captainH1:
1,000 rounds through my Rock River 20" HBAR with 0 problems. I would buy more if I could find any. It actually performed better than expected for lower cost ammo. Pretty consistant 100 yard groups at about 1" with scope.

Keith1:
Several thousand rounds through various 15's(Armalite, Colt, DPMS, PAWS, etc.) & 16's (Colt), Mini-14's, and single shots with good results. The only problem that I ever had was with a POS upper that I bought from a Western N.C. company that shall remain nameless.

ColSanders:
Shot almost 500 rounds through my RRA shorty without one malfunction.

Blankwaffe98:
Ive shot close to 400 rounds of the PMP commercial ammo in my Armalite M15A2 without a single issue.
Nice ammo for the money...just wish I could get more.

chrome1:
I was happy with it until this :
[pic]
I'm not sure how many have done this but I did notice about 4 softer reports in around 300 rounds .
I always clear the chamber and check the bore after an odd sounding shot . This was the rounds I cleared after the last soft shot .

The weapon was a Bushy 16" that has never exhibited any feed problems in 5 years and thousands of rounds . I even cycled through several full 30 round mags
after I found this one and didn't see any more do this , but I don't think I'll be rapid firing this ammo any more

Daubs:
This PMP, brownish boxed w/ Gazelle ammo is the worst ammo I've tried yet!

Fired in an Armalite that has a 223cal chamber. After a few rounds I encountered many FTEject, FTExtract, short stokes w/failure to pickup the next round and failure to lock the bolt back on the last round. From the recoil it seems loaded very week. I've had many rims get ripped by the extractor and remain stuck in the chamber. Accuracy was OK. In all this ammo is a definite NO for Me! It made my time at the range horrible.

BTW I did have 500 Rds of this stuff but have since shot most of it using the charging handle like a bolt on a bolt action rifle , hand charging almost every round beacues of a short stroke.

Not_A_Llama:
About 700 rounds of the gazelle stuff through a chomoly 16" JT carbine.

Runs great, no evidence of being underpowered as others have reported.

Additional observations:
Low flash (powder fomulation?)
Bullet fragments unusually well, compared to XM193 and my M193 clone load.

slowsure:
I like this ammo.

Fired ~1000 thru a Bushmaster AK shorty.

About average accuracy for this gun.

I shot the Area 6 3-gun USPSA match with this ammo and it made Minor power factor in the 16" bbl. Not by much but Minor is all you need in this game

I wanted to buy more a few months back but couldnt find any. I would buy again if I could locate.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
We used it exclusively at a Class III rental range I worked at for a while, probably 3-5,000 rounds worth.  We ran it through a well-used M16, an M249, Ruger 556, and Steyr AUG with ZERO ammo related failures.  We did experience the occasional FTE's, etc, but they were all mag/firearm related.  Actually, we never cleaned a gun until it stopped working.  

I also personally used about 500 rounds of the stuff in a target Rock River and 16" Bushy A2.  Also, just like the class 3 stuff, I never experienced a single problem.  The ammo was reasonably accurate (around 1.5 MOA) and seemed to be pretty clean, especially compared to Wolf.  

I hate that the prices went up, because I really liked the ammo!  At one time (several years ago), we could buy the ammo for around $2-2.50 per box.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought 1K of it, shot half of it with zero malfunctions through my Bushmaster M4. The case is really nice for reloading as well.

I don't know anyone who speaks badly about this stuff. High quality ammo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
2K rounds thru my 1/7 Gov't model without any problems. Got it at a show in the 90's for $140/1000.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 4:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used over 1K rounds of the PMP Gazelle ammo. Haven't had any problems, but it's SAMMI spec not mil-spec ammo and some have experienced short stroking.

Terry
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've used over 1K rounds of the PMP Gazelle ammo. Haven't had any problems, but it's SAMMI spec not mil-spec ammo and some have experienced short stroking.

Terry

The only people I seem to recall having issues with short stroking were people shooting with Armalites.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to shoot a bunch of this ammo out of my dads mini-14.
It all shot well, no problems at all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
ColSanders:
You are right, looking back the Armalite's were the only ones having problems.

I've used the PMP and not had any problems, but then the *only* 223/5/56 that I've had problems with was the OLD Radway and some 91/92 surplus from Guatamala, and that was just due to corrosion.

Terry
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
That is my Non SHTF ammo of choice...

Runs fine in all of my AR's...
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump to prevent archiving
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Is anyone getting this stuff anymore? I haven't seen ANY lately.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I went throgh two thousand rounds a few years ago. I liked it just fine for the price. Very low flash, practically no fireball from a sixteen inch barrel with no muzzle device.

Haven't seen it available lately. Would buy more if I could find some.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a case of it around a year ago at a gun show for $145.00. I never had a problem with it before. I recently got a DPMS 20" bull barrel. The gun wouldn't cycle. I had it suggested to me that it could be the ammo, but I already sent the barrel off to DPMS to be checked out. I'll try again when I get it back and post an update.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top