Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/12/2005 7:50:31 AM EDT
This thread is ONLY about the recently available XM855PD variant, which is sold loose. If your review is about BOXED XM193, please  add your review to this thread instead.

Please add your personal experience with Federal XM855PD ammunition to this thread. When you do, please give information about:
1) Firearm used in
2) Approximate number of rounds fired.

For more information about this ammunition, check out the Federal website.

I am trying to solicit only information about your PERSONAL experience with this ammunition. If you haven't used it, then please don't clutter up the thread. Information about proper functioning (or lack thereof) is obviously the most important, but factors such as the accuracy or other peculiarities you've noticed are informative also. If you have had problems with this ammo which were severe enough to cause you to stop using this ammo, then please describe them. And one more minor request: keep your reviews objective.

This post is part of a larger information-gathering effort I'm trying to start about ALL ammunition popular in AR's:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=169729.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
My XM855PD all shot fine, no paint on any of the tips and there were tracers mixed in.   This was witnessed by several folks at the last Oregon Arfcom shoot.   None of the rounds were so deformed they wouldnt chamber but many had the occasional dent or discoloration.  Mine were purchased last summer from Sportsmansguide.   Not one single failure of any kind.   Note: you could not identify the tracers 100% but can find them by the slightly more blunt tip.   All are attracted to a magnet so that's no help.   I'd reccomend NOT shooting them during dry seasons when fire risk is higher.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot up about 500 rounds.  clean,consistant,accurate.  no complaints at all.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I just looked through 1K + 9 of this stuff from SG. 1 seriously dented shell, 1 comically deformed bullet, 20 with slightly ripped necks (probably OK to fire, I just pulled them so they would not get reloaded), and 17 that were seated too short. 970 good to go. No other problems. It was pretty clean compared to the last boxed XM193 I bought (which I have never looked at as closely, so I can't say if had similar problems) and it appeared to be sealed. Mixed brass from 02 and 03.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have NOT had a chance to shoot any of this ammo.  However, I did receive  1,000 loose rounds of it from SG about 3 weeks ago.  Tonight, I finally got around to looking at it.  Most were LC01 to LC04 headstamped.  Only one round was damaged so badly I would not want to shoot it.  It had a rippled neck.   The really interesting  thing is that I found 26 rounds that were marked TZZ 01.  At first, I thought they might be tracers. But, they are Israeli M193 rounds.  I pulled the bullet from one and it was definitely a 55 grain bullet.   How did this get mixed in with Lake City M855?  Anyone else find Israeli rounds mixed in?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I got some XM-855 from sportsman's guide (christmas gift, I'm sure wifey just saw "M855" and grabbed it) and it came packed loose in plastic bags. Is this the same stuff?? I didn't notice anything wrong with any of them, but the wife packed some in bandoliers for me so maybe I should look at those and make sure there's no M856 mixed in there (cases all looked fine and bullets seated properly as well)

Great, I was feeling good about having 1K of this stuff.

My pistol and rifle are merely TOOLS, I'M the weapon
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
1000rds no problems 99% on full auto.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
purchased 1k today.
Pretty good looking ammo, some minor dents on 4 or 5 rds, but they are in areas that dont comprimise the saftey of firing the round.  Mine was a little dusty, after wiping with a cloth it was fine.  Consistent/proper seating of the bullet, ok looking brass.  Looks like the sealant sprayed on the body of the casing was the reason the batch was rejected.  Mostly an 01 Headstamp, some 02, and a couple 00 and 03's.  Hopefully I can go to the range this weekend, and post the results.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
BTW, I think some of the stuff marked XM855PD is not green tip SS109 projectiles....

The stuff I got marked with XM855PD had NO green tips...sealed box.

I remember reading that it was decent stuff, now it seems like everyone is down on it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine has the green tips.
looks like the stuff ammoman has.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
BTW, I think some of the stuff marked XM855PD is not green tip SS109 projectiles....

The stuff I got marked with XM855PD had NO green tips...sealed box.

I remember reading that it was decent stuff, now it seems like everyone is down on it.

That's the same stuff I had.   It's definitely steel core you can give it the magnet test.   See if there's any particularly blunt looking tips maybe you got some tracers too.   Not a single spot of paint on any of mine either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
NOt one problem of the 4,000 rounds I went through this past year
Link Posted: 1/16/2005 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I got some XM-855 from sportsman's guide (christmas gift, I'm sure wifey just saw "M855" and grabbed it) and it came packed loose in plastic bags. Is this the same stuff?? I didn't notice anything wrong with any of them, but the wife packed some in bandoliers for me so maybe I should look at those and make sure there's no M856 mixed in there (cases all looked fine and bullets seated properly as well)

She got any sisters?
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
This little bonus was in a recent box of XM855PD.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/XM855PD.jpg

Newb here... what is it exactly?
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/XM855PD.jpg

Newb here... what is it exactly?

It is a rare high speed tactical LEO/Mil only round.  
Actually, the bullet is inverted.  It's a defective round.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It is a rare high speed tactical LEO/Mil only round.  
Actually, the bullet is inverted.  It's a defective round.  

Thanks, had me wondering  
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently purchased 1k rnds. @ a gun show from a dealer that said he
hand counts each round and puts in 30cal. ammo can. I think he cherry
picked them. Mine had 1 rnd. deformed neck. 7rnds. to dented to attempt to
fire. And near 100 or so where I had to remove excess green paint from
case, so that not to have ejection problems. And only about 20% appeared
to have primer sealant. Fired 100rnds. No problems at all. Will purchase
again from dealer that does not cherry pick out his best rounds and sells
the rest. Or purchase 2k unopened sealed box that comes from L.C.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#18]
i bought some a few months ago from SG, no probs with the 1k i had.
Just got a new batch from SG today, and it was with 03, and 04 headstamped, loose packed, all green tips.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought 1000 from SG, out of that 1000 I found 47 with either split case necks or small deformations in the case necks.

One round I found looked like it was crushed in a piece of the loading press.

All had green tips, I cut open a few of the damaged rounds and they had the steel tip in them.

I haven't had a chance to shoot any just yet, so I'm reserving final judgement, but it isn't looking all that promising.  have
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought 1 case of this from Ammoman. I loaded it all on stripper clips and found no defective rounds. There were more than 1000 in the box. All had green tips.

Shot up about 400 so far, no problems.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally got a chance to go through 230rds of the 2,000 I have and I found 2 severely dented and 1 that the bullet fell out of the casing.  I think i'm going to play it safe and as soon as the weather gets better, bring this M855PD stuff to the range and get rid of it and never buy it again.

I'm really dissapointed in the Sportsmans guide for not stating that this was LC reject ammo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Last k I bought from SG had green tips and no defective rounds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
1K rounds no problems. Original post was for XM193PD, but I have used the XM855PD with no problems either.
Link Posted: 2/11/2005 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#24]
got 120 rounds from sportsmansguide. 20 rounds per plastic bag. 01, 02, and 03 head stamps so far. the first 2 bags were 01 and had no damaged rounds but the brass was dirty as hell. the 02 and 03 brass is shiny
haven't shot any yet
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought 1000 rounds on Saturday of XM855PD Gren Tip.

Shot 200 rounds the same day.  No problems!

Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#26]
1K through various Colt, Bushy and DPMS rifles in the last 3 months and no problems to speak of........unless dirty brass counts as a problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I just picked up another 2000 rds of 855PD from SG (01-04 date stamps).  In this bunch, I found 68 rounds that were damaged in some way beyond minor dents (mostly minor neck spits or other damage).  Of these 68, only 8 rounds were what I considered "non-shooters" and the remaining 60 "bad rounds" will be "fire and forget" rounds.  The remaining "good" rounds (still almost a full 2000) will be fired up and reloaded.  I don't anticipate any problems with these rounds when firing, but if I experience any, I'll post such.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I just picked up 1000 rnd this weekend and they have the green tips. The ammo is a little dirty and I checked all for damage and all I found was some dinged cases. I'll give a range report this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#29]
the brass is real dirty but shot fine
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#30]
been through 400 rds out of 1000.  About 5% are defective, usually major dents in the case.  Found some canted bullets that were incorrectly seated as well as rounds that were way above or below the cannulure.  This weekend I had one that failed to go "boom" bad primer.  All in all I'm happy for what I paid for it ($150/1000 out the door), but I definately visually inspect every round when loading and encourage ALL to do that as well!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought a box of 1000 and on the top of the box it has this:

"WARNING: Contains Methyl Chloroform, a substance which harms public health and environment by destroying ozone in the upper atmosphere."

The Methyl Chloroform is in the sealant they use.

Do anyone else have this warning on a box of this ammo??????

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Found this in my case of 500:

Haven't found any others that look so bad, though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Just got done sorting through my case of XM855PD. I found 25 bad rounds.

11 with small splits/ wrinkles in the necks.

1 crunched by the loading machine.

13 loaded with M193 55 gr. bullets with green painted bullet tips.

The suspected M193s had a more rounded ogive when compared to the other rounds. They were not attracted to a magnet. I pulled 5 of them, and they are 55 gr.

Headstamps are mostly 04, with a small amount, maybe 10-15% 02 and 03.
The cases were quite clean, as far as LC ammo goes. Primer sealant was rather iffy on some rounds, and some rounds had green paint blobs on the cases.
For range ammo, I think it will work great. Will try to get out this weekend, and try them out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#34]
On my second 1k can now, about 250+ rds into it and found a few with seating problems, but other than that it is excellent ammo for the price.  No issues with accuracy, and leaves a grapefruit sized hole in the zombie terrorist jack rabbits that I use it for.  Had 1 FTF and after clearing the gun, left it in the sand and continued on.  All shot out of a 16" Hbar bushy, aminpoint comp 2 and getting 1-2" groups at 100yds off of bench.  Most shots are under 60 but it all works extremely well.  Low flash, good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Am I the only one seeing a consistent thread here?   XM855PD bought from Sportsmans Guide seems to have all the defective rounds.  I bought mine from KY Imports and all rounds look fine, all have green tips, and all chamber and shoot like new ammo.  The brass is a little tarnished, true, but it shoots without a hitch.

Did SG get the initial batch from Lake City, and now the later batches from other dealers are much better????    Go back and re read all the posts on this thread.  Seems all the problem rounds come from orders received from SG.  

My XM855PD ammo came in a 2000 rd cardboard case....sealed............each case had a 1000 round box inside...........again, sealed.  No ammo cans.   How....and why, is SG taking the ammo out of the cardboard boxes and selling it in metal ammo cans???   Are they just dumping from one container to another and denting the brass??   Or did their lot not come in boxes from Lake City??
It appears their stuff has been man handled.  

Any thoughts from others who have bought this ammo from dealers OTHER than SG ????
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought my ammunition (including the round with the setback pictured above) at a gunshow in an ammo can.  Who knows where the dealer had purchased it from?
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#37]
You bought yours at a gunshow in an ammo can........   Only Sportsman Guide XM855PD comes in ammo cans.   Everyone else LC XM855PD is coming in a FACTORY cardboard carton....sealed with tape.  You can tell no one has opened your ammo when the box has been sealed at Lake City ammo plant with tape.  When it comes loose in an ammo can from SG, it seems to be a DIFFERENT lot or a different date of ammo coming from LC.  And this is the ammo that keeps having threads posted saying rounds are bad....rounds are dented.....rounds are mixed with other ammo, bullet tips seated upside down, etc, etc.  

Has ANYBODY who has posted on this thread, and who got their XM855PD from a factory sealed cardboard carton................. had an ammo malfunction??   Or are all the problems coming from XM855 ammo that ships in GI ammo cans  ????
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#38]
1000 rnds from Sportsmans Guide last week LC XM855PD all green tip in plastic bag inside tape cardboard box. Fired 200 rnds Monday no problem.  Some had minor dents. Fired through a 20"Bushmaster. I am planning to get more.
Link Posted: 4/7/2005 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Has ANYBODY who has posted on this thread, and who got their XM855PD from a factory sealed cardboard carton................. had an ammo malfunction??

Have a couple cases of XM855PD in LC's cardboard box, but have only individually checked a couple hundred rounds. Out of the 200 or so I've checked, I've found one badly deformed round. All the others were fine--dirty brass, minor dents in cases, some splashed green paint, but who cares? I've used up most of the individually checked rounds and they functioned 100%. One case was from Outdoor Marksman--don't remember where I got the other case.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Any one find any pretzels inside the cartridges???
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm into the first 400rds of my 1000rds. fromSG, and not one problem, hick-up, or misfire. Some brass is not as clean as other brands, but I don't think the "TARGET" knows the difference or minds for that matter. Most rds. are '03, but some '02 and '01are mixed in. Great price fromSG, if your a member its even better. Fun stuff!!!

P.S. my firearm is a:
 Panther Arms AP4
 Chrome lined 16" barrel
 with some toys slaped on
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#42]
And a note to SPACEGUN and other who got abused ammo I ordered mine from SG and it came sealed in a box NOT in a can!! NOT one bad round yet . NO dings, scrapes, paint , misloaded backwords,  nothing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Found this in my case of 500:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/RiddleFox/Guns/bad1.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/RiddleFox/Guns/bad2.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/RiddleFox/Guns/bad3.jpg

Haven't found any others that look so bad, though.

Found one that looked almost exactly like that in my lot of 1000, I found some other pretty banged up cases as well. Havent had a chance to shoot any of it yet. My advice would be to go though all the rounds by hand and check them carefully when loading a magazine, just to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Have shot about half of a case I bought from Ammoman. All have the green tips. Brass is a bit dirty, but nothing major. No defects as far as digs, bullet seating, etc. Shoots fine out of my 20" Bushie. Fairly hot, I get about 3150 fps out of it (chrono about 25 feet from the muzzle, in 70 degree weather).
Link Posted: 4/9/2005 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#45]
To APTECH77,

Your 855PD ammo came in a box....and no malfunctions, you say.   The problem seems to be with ammo that comes packed in an ammo can.  The boxed ammo seems to be much better.
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I haven't fired any of my M855 from ammoman, but I hand inspeted it all, and it was all GTG....
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#47]
I've fired 150 rnds of the PD ammo with no problems. However not very accurate out of my rifle.
Firearm is Oly Arms PCR-16.
Fired 10 rnds thru a chrony Avg velocity 2850fps Sd 34.4 16" barrel.

Was quite suprised that this was SLOWER than Santa Barbara and RG... and the Sd was MUCH higher.

T
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I checked I had minor problems but I would continue to use it.  

I probably had 8 light primer strikes out of 80 rounds that didn't fire the first time I pulled the trigger.   I'm not sure if it's because the primers are extra hard or my hammer spring is too light.  All in all it  it functioned fine otherwise.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Krackles

The M-16 bolt is designed in such a way that it prevents the firing pin from hitting the primer until the bolt is closed and locked....ie, rotated into battery.  As the bolt closes and rotates, there comes a point where the firing pin can just sqeeze past the firing pin block and strike the primer if you pull the trigger.  If the bolt is not fully rotated, you get a "light" firing pin strike on the primer.  It has nothing to do with the hammer spring.

A tight chamber...a dirty chamber or brass that is a tiny fraction too long will prevent the bolt from rotating closed 100%.  I suspect your light firing pin strike is caused by a minimum chamber.  Even the least bit of carbon build up and a round that is within speck but a little long will result in the apparent light hit on the primer.  With your gun, you may need to really keep that chamber scrubbed clean.  As your shooting day progresses, crud builds up more and more. If the problem of the light strike becomes more frequent, you know the tight/match chamber needs a good clean up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top