Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 5:06:58 PM EDT
Up until now, I have stored my ammo in a fire rated safe with the guns. Its getting a bit cramped in there.

I would like to hear what you guys have done for storage of quantities of ammo safely, but still out of the elements....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Surplus ammo cans.  Great things because they...  well... were made for storing ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a closet...I live in an area with low humidity. I try to shoot through my ammunition. I don't have any that is specifically "stored" for long a long period of time.

MT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Up until now, I have stored my ammo in a fire rated safe with the guns. Its getting a bit cramped in there.

I would like to hear what you guys have done for storage of quantities of ammo safely, but still out of the elements....

Have you read through ammo-oracle.com?  There is some detailed and great info on ammo storage.  I keep ammo in .30cal and .50cal ammo cans.  I usually refinish the outside with spray paint if there is some rust but ammo cans in good condition are not hard to find.  I spray some silicone spray on the rubber gasket.  I pack the cans in a cool, dry place and put some dessicant packs in with the ammo.  Read through the above link and if you still have additional questions (it's very thorough) then you can post more specific questions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My greater concern was a fire hazard.....I have had some of my junk lead pistol reloads that sat in my humid garage for a few years without a crimp or a primer seal work 100%. I was not super concerned on keeping the ammo fresh. I just figure that if several thousand rounds was in the house and something was to happen that it would be a fine accelerator. I am probably jsut being overcautious, but was curious to see if you guys had any insight...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Ammo in a can isn't dangerous.

In a fire, the heads just pop off.  Nobody gets injured.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ammo in a can isn't dangerous.

In a fire, the heads just pop off.  Nobody gets injured.

+1

If you're looking for something in writing, go to the library and get Hatcher's Notebook through inter-library loan.  There is some great stuff about fires and loaded cartridges.  While bulk amounts of smokeless powder can pose a serious hazard, the danger of loaded bullets in a fire is quite underwhelming.  Here is an excerpt from the book that I posted a while back--->ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=251232
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top