Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/10/2007 1:53:15 PM EST
I have thought about this for some time, and I must admit it amazes me how many people here have problems with their weapon functioning with certain brands of ammo. It seems with every thread about a certain brand, someone's weapon just doesn't want to run properly with that brand. I honestly believe that 75 to 80% of these problems are weapon related and not necessarily the ammo. I say this because I have been shooting AR's for over 20 years, and of the (3) weapons that I have none are finicky at all about what I shoot in them. I have a Colt & (2) Bushmasters and they all run with whatever I put in them. S&B, Winchester, PMC, South African, Ga. Arms, Guatemalan, Radway Green, Federal, Remington UMC, it just doesn't matter. The only ammo I have had problems with is the plastic case stuff that's no longer made, and it wouldn't work in any of my guns nor my friend's weapons either. My friends have AR's that are also problem free, and have had them for 20+ years with no malfunctions whatsoever. I use to have a Bushmaster carbine that would short stroke, but a quick trip to Bushmaster made it 100% reliable. I honestly believe that many weapons out there today are severely lacking in quality control, whether by mass production or because it's a parts gun that is a total whack job. I know carbines can be more problematic than 20" guns, and carbines have been all the rage the last 5 to 6 years. I just don't get all these ammo problems, again I say it's the mostly guns. Sure ammo can have quality control issues too, but in my lifetime AR's just don't give this much trouble. If my guns gave these kinds of problems, I would be trading them off in a New York minute. Flame suit on, sh*t storm ahead.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:31:02 PM EST
I agree.

I had a butt load of Radway and I couldn't get it to run in my Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine. I read and read on here and started a thread or two but since I've read there have been others that had similar issues with the Radway I traded it all off for Guat. After that I realized that I should have sent in the upper to Bushmaster first but I only had a short amount of time to make the trade I did so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Anyway, Bushmaster replaced the gas key as it was a leaky one, I haven't had the Radway to test in it but it's been 100% with the Wolf I've been shooting. So I would say that for me, yes it was the firearm. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of that Radway as it's supposed to be better brass than Guat for reloading and you get all of the great ammo cans, bandoleers and stripper clips. Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:35:25 PM EST
I'm still pretty new to AR's, I went low budget on my first and built it myself, somewhat a mix match of brands, but all good quality stuff. So far I've shot about a mix of about 6 brands/loads of ammo including wolf and haven't had an issue yet. Granted I have 20".
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:55:04 PM EST
For the most part any problems I've had could be traced to a gun part, with the exception of the .223 of unknown manufacture that OMC sold as loose packed Lake City brass SS109. That ammo left primer debris in my guns that would occasionally cause binding that would stick the bolt forward.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:08:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By umc:
I agree.

I had a butt load of Radway and I couldn't get it to run in my Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine. I read and read on here and started a thread or two but since I've read there have been others that had similar issues with the Radway I traded it all off for Guat. After that I realized that I should have sent in the upper to Bushmaster first but I only had a short amount of time to make the trade I did so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Anyway, Bushmaster replaced the gas key as it was a leaky one, I haven't had the Radway to test in it but it's been 100% with the Wolf I've been shooting. So I would say that for me, yes it was the firearm. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of that Radway as it's supposed to be better brass than Guat for reloading and you get all of the great ammo cans, bandoleers and stripper clips. Oh well.

Was it the 1989 RORG Radway Green ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:17:58 AM EST

I agree with Daffy,

I have a RR Entry Tactical and it is 100% flawless with any ammo I have run (Guat, wolf, Radway, HSM, WWB, UMC........ and a bunch more I can not remember). Quality weapon, quality magazines (mine are from Bravo Company), proper maintenance = very few problems.

Friend of mine had a DPMS SPR that was un-reliable. Sent it back to DPMS, replaced barrel, and now it runs 100%.

I have been thinking about some modifications to this rifle (light weight barrel). I will be very picky about where the barrel comes from and who does the work (probably will use Steve at ADCO). Again you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:07:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By CWS1911:

Originally Posted By umc:
I agree.

Was it the 1989 RORG Radway Green ?

No, it wasn't the 89 stuff, not sure what year it was but I know it wasn't 89, I think it might of been 92. I may look later...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:06:21 AM EST
Top Top