Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 11:40:47 AM EDT
The ammo-oracle/search function answered most of my questions, but I want to make sure I've got the rest of this right.

I only lack a rear iron sight to complete my m-4gery, and I've got a few questions about ammunition and the like.

First, how can I tell if Wolf is laquer or polymer coated? Are there markings on the box? On the case? Is the shell color different?

Second, my barrell is marked 5.56.
I understand that my problems firing .223Rem should be minimal, is this accurate?

Third, is Black Hills blue box 68gr a good choice as a primary defensive round? Or should I try to go with a non-reloaded round.

Finally, I only have one mag but it has the magpul self leveling follower. Is it a good idea to get these followers for the other magazines that I get or are they really not needed.

TIA
James
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:52:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DiabloTejano:

First, how can I tell if Wolf is laquer or polymer coated? Are there markings on the box? On the case? Is the shell color different?

I've shot very little Wolf, but the polymer stuff is grey in color and most of the non-Wolf stuff I have is brown.

Second, my barrell is marked 5.56.
I understand that my problems firing .223Rem should be minimal, is this accurate?

No problems at all in your case. The problems arise when shooting 5.56 in a .223. You have the best setup for shooting both.

Third, is Black Hills blue box 68gr a good choice as a primary defensive round? Or should I try to go with a non-reloaded round.

The 68 gr. loads from BH are good in terms of terminal ballistics, but I would recommend the new manufacture "red box" for use as primary defensive ammunition. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the BH remanufactured ammo, but new stuff may have a reliability edge over the reman. Also, if you are using a 1:7 twist you can always use the 75 gr. and 77 gr. loadings. If you have a 1:9 the 68 gr. is sure to stabilize in your bbl., but the heavier bullets might not. You have to try it out to know for sure.

Finally, I only have one mag but it has the magpul self leveling follower. Is it a good idea to get these followers for the other magazines that I get or are they really not needed.

It is a good idea to have the Magpul follower, but many magazines work just fine without them. I run the Magpuls in my work magazines and they have fixed a couple of malfunctioning mags I have had in the past. They provide an extra margin of reliability. They are a good option, IMO, but just an option.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:58:41 PM EDT
Thanks.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:24:29 PM EDT
Ricktus got it right. The wolf polymer ammo is grey with a powder like coating where the laquor is green or brown and looks like a thin paint.

IMHO, the magpulls are really not needed. Some will say they are but I have 20+ USGI mags and none of them have a magpul and I never have a malfunction with any of them and they are very well used. If I would have a malfunction, it would most likely be caused by a weak spring, not the follower.

I have green, orange, black, and metal followers and they all work well. If it makes you feel better, then by all means get a magpul but I believe it's a preference issue not a functional issue.
Top Top