Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2006 2:17:32 PM EDT
What ammo do you recomend for a new chrome lined 1-9 barrel.  Im still kinda confused on the whole twist in relation to ammo.  Lets see if i get this right; 1-7 is good for heavier, and 1-9 for lighter?  So what is lighter, higher grain number or lower?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The 7 twist barrels are generally good for 75 and 77 grain bullets fed from the magazine. The 9 twist barrels are generally good for 68 and 69 grain bullets fed from the magazine.

However, there are many 9 twist barrels that will shoot the heavier 75 and 77 grain bullets quite well. And there are some 7 twist barrels that will shoot the 68 and 69 bullets better than the 75 and 77's.

Your best bet is to get a box of each bullet weight and go shoot them in your gun. This will tell you what works best for you.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think chamber dimensions and load recipe play as much a part.

If you shoot a 55 grain really hot through a 1/7, you could overstablize or actually start  to rip the jacketing off the bullet.

It's kind of like the speed / feed relationship on a lathe. You can feed a 55 grain bullet down the 1/7, but the velocity has to be within a range or you have bad days.  

I've tried shooting 77 grain through 1/9 barrels and at medium ranges (600 - 1000) yards it doesn't work. At least it doesn't work for me.

I would stick with 40 - 62 grains for a 1/9, to get the most potential. Certainly though, you can try the heavier loads to see the performance for your individual weapon.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would think chamber dimensions and load recipe play as much a part.

If you shoot a 55 grain really hot through a 1/7, you could overstablize or actually start  to rip the jacketing off the bullet.

It's kind of like the speed / feed relationship on a lathe. You can feed a 55 grain bullet down the 1/7, but the velocity has to be within a range or you have bad days.  

I've tried shooting 77 grain through 1/9 barrels and at medium ranges (600 - 1000) yards it doesn't work. At least it doesn't work for me.

I would stick with 40 - 62 grains for a 1/9, to get the most potential. Certainly though, you can try the heavier loads to see the performance for your individual weapon.

I've never heard of anyone having trouble with a 55 grain bullet in a 1/7 BBL that stayed within the accepted norm for pressures or velocity. Heck, 5.56 is faster then sammi allows for civi .223 anyways. Maybe with a 40-45 grain you MIGHT have problems, but my 1/7 rifle would shoot those all day long with no problem at all.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish had these problems. The ONLY thing I can get here is 55grain winchester, or 55 grain wolf.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I think i am going to just bring a few boxes of 60 - 70 range and see what I like, its a brand new gun so im sure i have allot to do to get it accurate.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
55-62gr plinking ammo
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The 7 twist barrels are generally good for 75 and 77 grain bullets fed from the magazine. The 9 twist barrels are generally good for 68 and 69 grain bullets fed from the magazine.

However, there are many 9 twist barrels that will shoot the heavier 75 and 77 grain bullets quite well. And there are some 7 twist barrels that will shoot the 68 and 69 bullets better than the 75 and 77's.

Your best bet is to get a box of each bullet weight and go shoot them in your gun. This will tell you what works best for you.

Charles the Gunsmith.  

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top