Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2006 8:58:00 AM EDT
I recently bought 500 rounds of winchester 5.56 Q3131 lot#PB91.  This ammo wont feed in my AR. My 14.5 in AR will fire the round but during the extraction the cartridge case gets stuck on the gas tube as the next round in the magazine feeds.  It is almost like the gas isnt hitting the carrier key with enough force to fully move the carrier back giving the extractor enough time to throw out the spent case.  I thought it might be the rifle so I tried a magazine full of 223 WWB from the 40rd value pack.  It fed the weaker 223 every time with no problems.

That pissed me off because why in the hell would the more powerfull 5.56 fail to feed when the
weaker 223 would.

I opened the rifle and two gas rings where together could this have been causing the problem?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently bought 500 rounds of winchester 5.56 Q3131 lot#PB91.  This ammo wont feed in my AR. My 14.5 in AR will fire the round but during the extraction the cartridge case gets stuck on the gas tube as the next round in the magazine feeds.  It is almost like the gas isnt hitting the carrier key with enough force to fully move the carrier back giving the extractor enough time to throw out the spent case.  I thought it might be the rifle so I tried a magazine full of 223 WWB from the 40rd value pack.  It fed the weaker 223 every time with no problems.

If the bolt group is traveling rearward enough to grab a fresh round, then it should eject...  Curious.

I opened the rifle and two gas rings where together could this have been causing the problem?

NO!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!

What could it be.  My rifle will feed wolf ,eagle all the shit ammo i can find it eats with glee but it wont touch gormet food who does it think it is dammit.  It does like on occasion isreali M855 ball but only when I can afford it. Could this be a tantrum of some kind?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
How many rounds did this occur with.  All?  A couple?

That's very odd.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My rifle was having a short stroking problem, BUT, the only ammo that it jammed everytime was Winchester Q3131 5.56mm 55gr FMJ.  It would eject the round fine, but would jam like hell between the mag and feed ramps, or just wouldn't load another round at all.

Every other ammo shot fine, but just didn't lock the bolt back.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Weird.  My friend and I have identical carbines from the same manufacturer, purchased at the same time, his won't feed Q3131 even 2 rounds in a row (almost exactly like you describe), mine runs it fine.  Wolf, etc. works fine for him too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top