Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/31/2006 8:22:40 AM EDT
If you shoot a lot of .223 and 5.45x39 like I do, ya need to pay attention to what you put in your ar15 mags, and I guess vice versa.

I got one of the little russian basterds in the wrong mag and when it went into the chamber of the ar it really stuck. Big time.

I got it out by sacrificing a cleaning rod. I thought it was just a stuck .223 and couldn't figure out why it stuck so hard. Put the rod down the barrel and ended up pounding the round out of the chamber, but at the same time the rod pushed the bullet down in the case and refused to come out. Ended up using a dremel tool with real small cutting tool and cut through the rod.

It didn't do any apparent damage that I can tell but it sure was a troublesome ordeal. Hopefully this post will keep someone else from doing the same thing, or at least show you how to get it out of the chamber if they do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:11:06 AM EDT
There was somebody a little while back that had a similar story. His buddy accidentally loaded some 5.45 into an AR mag and the same thing happened. If I remember correctly, though, he had a bit more trouble getting the round out of the chamber than you did. I guess it's just one of those lessons learned things...

I'm glad you got it out without damage.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:36:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 10:37:13 AM EDT by Snowbound]
Did you try bouncing the butt of the rifle on the ground? That has worked when I have gotten deformed .223 rounds stuck...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:23:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clasky:
There was somebody a little while back that had a similar story. His buddy accidentally loaded some 5.45 into an AR mag and the same thing happened. If I remember correctly, though, he had a bit more trouble getting the round out of the chamber than you did. I guess it's just one of those lessons learned things...

I'm glad you got it out without damage.

If I recall correctly, he had the 5.45 stuck in the chamber, then tried ramming it out with a cleaning rod, then the cleaning rod broke and gouged his barrell. Eventually he took it to one of the gunsmiths on the board and they got it out. I remember someone suggesting starting a camp fire and cook the round out.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:18:53 PM EDT
The 5.45 round is a little wider and it will not completely chamber. The base is too large for the bolt to properly engage the base.
I didn't bounce it as it has a collapsable stock and its too fragile for smacking the ground good and hard.
The cleaning rod was the only option I could think of. It worked out even though it was troublesome.
Top Top