Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2008 1:00:41 PM EDT
I have run out of room in my safe and don't have space for another right now.  I noticed in the ammo thread, many people say they don't store ammo in the safe.  Wouldn't it be better to store in the safe?  To prevent theft and / or to prevent being destroyed by fire?  I keep all my ammo in my safe because I have spent just as much on ammo as I have on firearms.

So how about you guys?

Ammo in safe or not and why?

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have enough ammo that you can store it in a gun safe then you don't have enough ammo

Edit: For a more serious answer, I use a sliding cabinet and put a padlock on it.  I only have a medium-sized gun safe and can barely fit the guns I own in it, so putting anything else in there is out of the question.  Hopefully the thieves won't have enough time to where they can get everything out and load it in their car(s) and haul it away before the police get there due to the alarm system in the house.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
There is absolutely nothing wrong with storing ammo in your safe. People have been doing it for EVER as have I. I have even seen safes set aside JUST for large quantities of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
If you have enough ammo that you can store it in a gun safe then you don't have enough ammo
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a BIG safe.

I'm jealous .  I would really like one of those "walk-in closet" type gun safes.  I don't own enough guns to where I would really need one though.  Well... not yet anyway .
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I use my old safe for ammo and parts only and the firearms go in the new on
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
This is and old photo I have more Ammo. now in my safe.
s168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/?action=view¤t=AmmoInSafe031508.jpg
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have the room to store ammo that way-too much.

I still would not shoot ammo that went through a fire in a safe, the temps inside the safe will get hot, not hot enough to burn, but hot enough to make the ammo unsafe, maybe even setting it off. The powder will break down and I wont take a chance.

Ammo is not like guns, its heavy and hard to move so its not a good target for theft IMO. If your worried I would either, 1. hide it in your home, or 2. just store it in a big heavy locker and put the guns in the safe.

IBTM
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Fort Knox Guardian 36 cubic ft, 66"high, 37" wide.
Solely dedicated to ammo and mags. Boxed ammo and loaded in mags.
Mags loaded with ammo save lots of space too.
...and more ammo in my other gun safes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:

You Win!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You Win!
Yup.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You Win!

Ya, Mine is only 31X25X61, Lincoln, Yes you win. And I feel for the poor fool that tries to lift it out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot of it is in the lower kitchen cabinet, behind the Tupperware.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I store some in the safe but not a lot.

My bulk ammo storage is in the basement in locked steel cabinet I have just for ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy a steel contractors on site tool storage locker.
They are often on sale at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Cost around $200-300, usually about 2-3 feet wide, 2-3 feet deep and about 5-6 feet long.
They are about 4x thicker than a Stack-On gun locker, and are really rugged/durable.

They can be locked/secured easily, and work great for ammo storage as the two that I have came with foam-rubber "gaskets" under the lids to make it easier to control moisture. A few pounds of desicant gel in the safe and your good to go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Buy a steel contractors on site tool storage locker.
They are often on sale at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Cost around $200-300, usually about 2-3 feet wide, 2-3 feet deep and about 5-6 feet long.
They are about 4x thicker than a Stack-On gun locker, and are really rugged/durable.

They can be locked/secured easily, and work great for ammo storage as the two that I have came with foam-rubber "gaskets" under the lids to make it easier to control moisture. A few pounds of desicant gel in the safe and your good to go.

That's not a bad idea.  And I pity the thief that tries to open that ammo box with a plasma torch.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I tend to only keep small amounts of ammo in my safe (boxes not cases) and I keep the cases of ammo secured in the basement and a few other locations.

I say store it wherever you have room...
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 4:57:23 AM EDT
[#17]
All great ideas and suggestions.

Living in the south near the coast gives me 2 more reasons to like keeping ammo in the safe.

1. Humidity.  I am able to control humidity levels in my safe and keep it nice and dry.

2. No Basements.  The basements that we have here are called swimming pools.  When i lived up north years ago, the basement could pretty much double as a bomb shelter and would have been perfect for ammo storage.  Unfortunately the only basement type place here is the garage and it gets way too hot and humid for me to feel good about ammo storage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I keep mine in the safe, but it will soon start living in 50 cal ammo cans.  I was storing blackpowder in there!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top