Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 8:26:30 PM EST
How many keep ammo on hand? or do you shoot what you got.
I am out, but I don't want to dip into the ACOG fund.  (here is my story)

My name is Luckpunk, and I am an addict.

Recently I have gone from not even owning an AR, to now wanting to sell/trade other guns for upgrades or my 2nd EBR.   My hunting buddies think I'm nuts for getting rid of a "REAL" hunting rifle.

That's why I come to You for support and enablement,  because I don't think there is a foreseeable end to it.  This addiction has apparently spread to the notion that I am "naked and vulnerable" without X amount of ammo on hand.

I went to the shooting spot today and let loose on my remaining stocks.  Good news is that the gun is digesting Wolf FMJ just fine now, Wolf HP gave it fits early on.  But now I have a worrying feeling to not have a case (or more) to fight off Aliens, zombies, and those things that go bump in the night....Now where is that roll of tinfoil.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:30:24 PM EST
I am about to buy my first AR15, and i am already addicted, i cant sleep, cant eat until i have one. LOL
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:42:51 PM EST
Hi, luvkypunk, [ETA: "luckypunk"] welcome to our group.
      ^^^ my original mispelling..sorry. but then you mispelled your own name in your post...

My name is Luckpunk, and I am an addict.

I have almost 10k .308 and 10k 5.56.. well actually 6k 5.56, and the rest civvie .223.

Most of my stash has come from getting lucky [if you call it that] finding good prices on ammo and having the ability to take advantage of it.  My best recent score was three 1260 round cases of SA battlepack .308 minus 2 packs for $277.   Having that much ammo on hand is not without it's problems, I recently had to move about 2/3's of my ammo to a different room due to floor issues...
My plan is to just shoot what I have for now, and continue buying when I find deals.  I doubt I will ever be "out of ammo" and, in a pinch I can reload for my blasting ammo so as not to be forced to dig into my SHTF stash.  The hardest part for me is inventory and orginization.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:45:28 PM EST

<­BR>

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:00:50 PM EST
are you not suppose to?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:01:46 PM EST
See my fort threads
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:04:00 PM EST

This addiction has apparently spread to the notion that I am "naked and vulnerable" without X amount of ammo on hand.

Thats because you are.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:06:33 PM EST
I have enough ammo on hand for shooting for a long long time... I need to order more, so I can build a ammo can fort like Taxman!  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:10:39 PM EST
History of the last century has shown that you just never know when you will need your guns and ammo... and you just never know when is the last time you will be able to buy ammo.  Without ammo, a gun is just a chunk of steel.  One without the other is useless.

There are some things things a man just cannot have too much of...

money
ammunition
gas in the tank
"altitude is money in the bank" (if flying)

and p----.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:12:36 PM EST
You left one thing out....  

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:52:54 PM EST
As long as only one of those are open at a time...
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:35:30 AM EST

Quoted:
I recently had to move about 2/3's of my ammo to a different room due to floor issues...

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:28:44 AM EST

Quoted:
I am out, but I don't want to dip into the ACOG fund.  I don't have a problem with that.
Recently I have gone from not even owning an AR, to now wanting to sell/trade other guns for upgrades or my 2nd EBR.   My hunting buddies think I'm nuts for getting rid of a "REAL" hunting rifle.   Got rid of a hunting rifle....like in .243, .308, 7mm Mauser.....?  I got a problem with that.  I would let it slide if you were going 6.8mm SPC.  But NOOOOOOOOOOO...  

What was the hunting rifle that you got rid of?  I've got to know before I split open a few esoteric rounds and toss the components into the fire of the ammo gods on your behalf for penance.

Dave S
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:19:35 AM EST

Quoted:
See my fort threads

Got any links for us?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:27:27 AM EST

Quoted:
See my fort threads

For those who haven't seen it, it is a must see.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:37:28 AM EST

Quoted:

Quoted:
See my fort threads

For those who haven't seen it, it is a must see.

Someone please post a link to taxmans Fort / ammo thread or a pic please.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:07:40 AM EST

Quoted:

Quoted:
I recently had to move about 2/3's of my ammo to a different room due to floor issues...

Tell me about it..  I was in my kitchen the other day noticing the wall-ceiling junction looked odd:

At first, I thought WTF is wrong with my roof??!!??  It turns out the OTHER end of this wall ends at my Guncloset, and the floor was sagging.  So I had to move part of my ammo.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:49:07 AM EST
Hey boy, that is one pretty picture! I sure wish some folks would make a Patrick Henry, James Madison, John Taylor or, Thomas Jefferson, et al, beer so guys like me can make some pretty centerfolds too!

Man that is pretty!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:12:05 AM EST
My ammo philosophy is simple; Buy it cheap, stack it deep. Simple economics is my driving motivation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:46:01 PM EST
If you have to ask, you don't have enough.  

If you still have room where you store your ammo, you don't have enough.

If you find youself spending the food money on ammo, stop, you have enough.

Then you shoot it, first in, first out.  Replenish as required!  

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:07:16 PM EST

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:25:20 PM EST

Quoted:
If you have to ask, you don't have enough.  

If you still have room where you store your ammo, you don't have enough.

If you find youself spending the food money on ammo, stop, you have enough.

Then you shoot it, first in, first out.  Replenish as required!  

Tom  

If you can count it, you don't have enough
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:53:51 PM EST
I shoot ammo too quickly, I can't keep much around the house.  I have  500 M193 ready to go if I ever need it.  Other than that I have my range ammo in the garage, right now about 1,000 .45 and 1,000 .233, when that gets to 300 rounds I'll buy another case or two.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:03:26 PM EST
I keep only the ammo I shoot or have guns for.
762x39
9mm
22lr

Got about 2-3K of each min of each.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:28:04 PM EST
You don't count the rounds... dummy, you count the ammo cans.  Duh.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:44:26 PM EST
yo luckpunk, i say minimum 10,000 556 and 10,000 308  PLUS all the ''other '' calibers.
and also i am an ADDICT myself. i shoot religiously  every satuday and sunday. and during the week. i get nervous when i dip under 20k.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:47:31 PM EST
I found that the best way to store ammo was to buy steelcase cabinets at state and biz auctions, 4 50 cal cans go in each drawer, 16 boxes per cabinet X 4 cabinets, now I need another 2 cabinets as I have 4 shelves full of full ammo cans, plus a box of 2700 rounds of SA. 223 is easy, .45 and .454 can get pretty heavy.  Now I have to stock up on 30/06 for the Garand.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:50:16 PM EST
Simple mathamatics:

Take the number of rounds you shoot per year times the number of years you expect to live, and that is how much ammo you should have.  Until you have that amount, you should buy more when the price is right, and bills are low.  Simple really.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:54:09 PM EST
For thoes looking for the TAXMAN links to his fort.

Fort link 1
fort link 2

Welcome

Edit
Nevermind I was going to say something mean. However I think you may know after looking.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:55:08 PM EST

Quoted:
I found that the best way to store ammo was to buy steelcase cabinets at state and biz auctions, 4 50 cal cans go in each drawer, 16 boxes per cabinet X 4 cabinets, now I need another 2 cabinets as I have 4 shelves full of full ammo cans, plus a box of 2700 rounds of SA. 223 is easy, .45 and .454 can get pretty heavy.  Now I have to stock up on 30/06 for the Garand.

I use a steel office cabinet:

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:08:05 PM EST
CJan_NH
Care to share some of that?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:38:32 PM EST

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a steel office cabinet:

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/ammo_cans_copy.JPG

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Ammo2.JPG

Your shelves bring new meaning to sagging bottoms. One day I am waiting to hear a crash of my shelves falling. Mine are mounted to to floor joices and a cement basement floor. Very easy to underestimate the weight one is holding. I believe the next ones I build will be angle iron, welded up and braced to the wall. .45 is extremely heavy compared to almost anything else. I keep it on the low shelves or in the lower cabinet drawers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:52:25 PM EST
I've got several Knaack tool boxes in my basement full of ammo. Knaack boxes are very secure and strong. The ones I use are model #2060. When fully loaded and locked they are impossible to pickup and move. Their good for storing guns in too.

www.knaack.com/content.cfm?page_id=16&subcategory_id=2
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:07:22 PM EST
Are 50,000 rds with 30,000 being .223 enough or should I keep going?  Never know when the zombies might show up
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:36:14 PM EST
I know more than one person who uses an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of his stock and locations.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:56:47 PM EST
When I visited Century Arms I counted pallets of 7.9 Mauser....
came up to over 40 Million rounds.......

Oh my Kingdom for a Maxim Gun............
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:41:40 PM EST
Ok.  I fixed it.  I bought enough to fill existing mags.  If I can't Get'RDone with that, I guess the zombies can eat my wifes brain (I can run faster than her)

CJan_NH and  fight4yourrights
beautiful cabinet skillz.  That's perfect.  That is what I will do.  Thanks for the "goal"

I admire someone with priorities, Taxman, But just make sure you are getting a little Punani on the side or people will start to worry.  We will still worry about the Brown vodka though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:09:09 PM EST

Quoted:
Your shelves bring new meaning to sagging bottoms. One day I am waiting to hear a crash of my shelves falling. Mine are mounted to to floor joices and a cement basement floor. Very easy to underestimate the weight one is holding. I believe the next ones I build will be angle iron, welded up and braced to the wall. .45 is extremely heavy compared to almost anything else. I keep it on the low shelves or in the lower cabinet drawers.

Heh, that's true-those shelves weren't meant to carry as much as I have loaded on them

They aren't sagging as badly as they look in the photo though. I reinforced the shelves with angle iron and through bolted it to each side of the cabinet. It isn't pretty but it works well. The cabinet is mainly to keep the ammo organized, and also to keep my daughter's curiousity at bay. In addition to the (worthless) keylock on the cabinet I have the doors secured with a padlock:

Quoted:
CJan_NH
Care to share some of that?

Absolutely! If the shite hits the fan everyone is invited to the CJan homestead. Bring your beer, your rifles, and your food-in that order My wife is one hell of a cook, and can do *wonders* with the campstove if the electricity and gas service is out.

We can defeat the zombie hordes while drinking the finest stockpiled instant coffee that money can buy

Quoted:
I know more than one person who uses an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of his stock and locations.

That's how I do it too. I've been trying to convince my wife to help me add some mathematical formulas to the spreadsheet. It would be great, for example, to know how many rounds of ammo I can reload based on an eight pound bottle of powder.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:20:09 PM EST
Someday... I will have that kind of ammo horde, but now I am in college and am lucky to keep enough on hand for probable self-defense scenarios and practicing.

Stupid school.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:29:32 PM EST

Quoted:
Someday... I will have that kind of ammo horde, but now I am in college and am lucky to keep enough on hand for probable self-defense scenarios and practicing.

Stupid school.

+1

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:32:15 PM EST

Quoted:

Stupid school.

Everyone has to start somewhere Brother!

Hopefully your schooling will lead to a rewarding, lucrative career allowing you to buy whatever your heart desires

Back in 1991 I was a student and bought my first two ARs with money I had saved during the previous summer and had earmarked for tuition. Looking back it was a pretty stupid decision-I thought my Mother was going to skin me alive. Thank God I wasn't living at home.

On the plus side I had two brand new shiny and beautiful Colt ARs. I couldn't afford ammo or a range membership, so they sat unused in a closet for a couple of months. My Father finally took pity on me and bought me my first case of ammo-right after he finished tearing me a new asshole for being so stupid with money.

Little did he know that 14 years and thousands of dollars later he had created a monster
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:49:35 PM EST
Many hunter types I know that have no use for an AR, AK or whatever tend to think that owning 100 rounds for their favorite hunting rifle makes them set for life. Once you buy an "Assault Style" weapon, that 100 rounds is maybe 1 or 2 hours shooting at the range.
I think at least a case of good quality for each weapon is a good starting goal.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:59:26 PM EST
You guys are SICK!!  But I LIKE it!!

556man
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:46:41 AM EST

Quoted:

Is that unusual?  
Top Top