Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2006 5:21:07 PM EDT
I'm buying a gun safe when I get home, and I'm wanting a locking metal cabinet to put next to it for ammo storage. Something with sturdy shelves. Anyone have something similar, or any ideas on where to find somehing like that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I am interested in the same thing...

Come on guys, how about some ideas.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheap Wal-Mart gunlockers....

BRB with photo

Something like this....

But I know there is a cheaper version. Under a hundred bucks, or was. The cheapest gun safe locker they make.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep my ammo in a rubbermaid plastic cabinet shelves are rated at about 100 or so pounds, tried to find a cheap steel cabinet chepest was $200 if you have the money you could go as high as $1000.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/rgarza149/ammostorage4.jpg
or you could go with thishttp://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/rgarza149/bx_opened.jpg
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a cheap Homak gun cabinet:

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I got one of those two door gun lockers. I got a new safe and now use that as a ammo locker
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a fancy shmancy sears cabinet on clearance.  6 foot tall, Locking double doors, shelves 20 inch deep, 38 wide, holds lots of weight.  

It was under $300 but not by much and required a minor bit of assembly.  I laughed at the little L brackets that were designed to keep the thing from falling over.  I just put 2 cases of South African 7.62 in the very bottom and she aint going over.

I originally was going to order a commercial type online that was $70 cheaper but the shipping from the next state away was $370.  No tanks.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It all depends on how much ammo you have.  I am up to over 80 full ammo cans so a safe or cabinet is out.  I have one pallet with 12 cans per layer and stack them 5 high.  Takes care of 60 cans, approximately 1800 lbs.  I saw a set up a member of this forum had that looked great.  It was a metal four shelf open shelving system.  I couldn't believe how many full ammo cans he had on it.  I sent him a PM and he said each shelf was rated at 600lbs.  It was cool because you could access it from any side. That was about a year ago.
I was at Sam's club yesterday and saw one like it on display.  Four shelf, I think it was 72' high, 48" long and 18" deep.  It was rated at 2400lbs.  600lbs per shelf.  I never saw anything so sturdy.  I was going to buy it but I could not even budge the box on the top of the stack.  I have to go back for it tomorrow with my son and some of his friends.  Only $78 or $79.  
I have  two large gun safes so my firearms are secure and I really don't worry about anyone getting at the ammo.  
I know that didn't really answer your question but I find if you get a small cabinet your ammo gets all disorganized and it takes time to find things if you have to move things around to find what your looking for + they cannot handle much weight.  
If you have a little space you might be better off picking a corner of the basement and wall in the two exposed sides, put a door with a lock on it  and keep the ammo on a pallet.  Probably as secure than a metal cabinet.  Good luck.
Edited to add.
I don't know if you can get these unless you have a archive feature.  These are the metal shelving systems I talked about.
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=469707

Also go down 20 posts    
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=278443&page=1
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#8]

That's what I pretty much had in mind. Know where I can get one?

Basements are unheard of in North Texas, and I live in a fairly small house, so the safe and cabinet are going in the living room, hence my wanting something that will close up rather than open racks.

StealthyBlagga, how did you fab those shelves in your cabinet?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/rgarza149/bx_opened.jpg

That's what I pretty much had in mind. Know where I can get one?

Basements are unheard of in North Texas, and I live in a fairly small house, so the safe and cabinet are going in the living room, hence my wanting something that will close up rather than open racks.

try a store that sells used office equipment. i have a few around me and you can save alot over what it would cost new.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
80 full ammo cans of ammo.  Wow I wish I could get that much.  Maybe one day I will but I keep shooting my ammo and need more.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

try a store that sells used office equipment. i have a few around me and you can save alot over what it would cost new.

+1
I found a horizontal cabinet with a single rolling door that locks for about $100.  It worked great until I accumulated too much ammo.  I use it to store reloading supplies now and my ammo is stored on shelves in my basement shop that has a lock on the door.  This is secure enough for me since the firearms are in the safe.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I scored a large electrical panel box, the kind that's used on large industrial machinery.  Bolted it to a wall, put shelves in and loaded it up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's the best price I found on the Sentry 12-gun locker... I use it for my rifles right now until I have a permanent address with a real safe.  

www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/firearm_safes&start=0&selectedSKU=0340-03254-0912
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Very pricey industrial shelf  check out the web site.www.compmark.com/main.cgi
hock.gif
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Just cut some 6"x1/2" wood planks  to size, then held them in place with nails banged in from the outside (drilled the steel first to make it easy to get the nails in).
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
You could also stand boards up against the side, then set the shelf across them.  L-brackets would hold it together.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I scored a large electrical panel box, the kind that's used on large industrial machinery.  Bolted it to a wall, put shelves in and loaded it up.

Same here. Mine is somewhere around 5 X 5 foot and about 20 inch deep and made out of 10 gauge steel. It has metal "feet" on the bottom bolted to the floor and to the wall behind it. And they were going to throw it away. I gave it a good home.

I use it to hold a few parts kits, extra stocks and mags as well as several cases of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I still don't have a house of my own to actually separate one room as my "Hobby Room".

If I did, I would convert a closet and turn it into a safe and would have the ammo already placed in GI ammo cans and sorted by caliber.

I will settle for the kitchen cupboard; where I keep 7 ammo cans (2 WW2 vintage and 5 modern ones); sorted by caliber.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I still don't have a house of my own to actually separate one room as my "Hobby Room".

If I did, I would convert a closet and turn it into a safe and would have the ammo already placed in GI ammo cans and sorted by caliber.

I will settle for the kitchen cupboard; where I keep 7 ammo cans (2 WW2 vintage and 5 modern ones); sorted by caliber.

I hear yah on wanting a "hobby room," that's why I wanted a 3 bedroom house, but I found this 2 bedroom at a bargain price. I can't complain because I do have a nice 20x30 shop out back, but with Texas temp fluctuations (10 to 115 degrees) I'm hesitant to stock my ammo out there. Being an old-style house the closets aren't very ample either.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top