Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/16/2005 8:49:05 PM EDT
I posted this elsewhere in the wrong forums. Does anyone have any feedback about this remanufactured ammo either .223 or .308?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Ultramax makes excellent ammo. I shoot the 50 grn Speer TNT, 55grn Nosler BT and the 68 grn HP and all perform excellently and are quite accurate for reloads. The QC is a little lax, atleast compared to BH blue box. Occasionally you will find a bullet seated a little too deep or something like that, but this is usally quite rare and won't be a problem if you inspect your ammo before you shoot it, which is something you should ALWAYS do. Out of 100 rounds, you may have one unservicable round...which really isn't too bad. Also, the 52grn HPs are just garbage. The accuracy is deplorable. The 50grn Speer TNT is much, much, much better and maybe only 1.00 more. Otherwise, I have had really positive experiences with Ultramax ammo in general and continue to buy heaps of it and shoot the daylights out of it. I have no problem reccomending it to anyone.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ultramax makes excellent ammo. I shoot the 50 grn Speer TNT, 55grn Nosler BT and the 68 grn HP and all perform excellently and are quite accurate for reloads. The QC is a little lax, atleast compared to BH blue box. Occasionally you will find a bullet seated a little too deep or something like that, but this is usally quite rare and won't be a problem if you inspect your ammo before you shoot it, which is something you should ALWAYS do. Out of 100 rounds, you may have one unservicable round...which really isn't too bad. Also, the 52grn HPs are just garbage. The accuracy is deplorable. The 50grn Speer TNT is much, much, much better and maybe only 1.00 more. Otherwise, I have had really positive experiences with Ultramax ammo in general and continue to buy heaps of it and shoot the daylights out of it. I have no problem reccomending it to anyone.

+1

Before I reloaded I probably went through 300 to 400 rounds of this stuff, mostly in practice and I never found a defective cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot a lot of 55gr FMJ ultramax, I could get it on sale at the local Cabela's for about 16 cents per round.  Dick's around here has it for $29 per 150, which I sometimes tell friends to get when they're coming to the range and don't have any .223 for my AR.  I was always very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot all their 68gr. hp rounds that I can get my hands on.  Accurate and clean, excellent product and great pricing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 150 rounds tonight from Dick's, as I was loading my 30 round mags with the Ultramax my wife notices 1000 rounds of XM193 sitting next to me and 1000 rounds of  Q3131 no A sitting next to the 193 stuff and she kind of gave it to me a little bit. Why do I have to buy more ammo when I have all these boxes laying around and doing nothing. I told her the same-o-same-o- story about the good stuff. They are getting harder to get. All my Q3131 no A, dates are 93-94 and that stuff shoot very accurate and consistant and without any problems. So I'm holding onto it for now.

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for sharing...hinking.gif
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been getting sub-MOA out of their 55gr. FMJ's.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The 168gr 308 is not as hot as Black Hills 168 but it costs 1/3 less and groups as well, just not in the same place.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#9]
On a recent range trip in early August, this is what I was able to get out of the Ultramax 50GR NBT rounds.

Rifle was a 20" BM VMatch with a Leupold 3-18X VXII
distance was 200 yards.

4 shot group sizes:
1.25"
2"
2.75"

the 2.75 inch group included a noticeable flyer, otherwise, the three shots were 1.5 inches apart.

So far this is better than the 52GR BH red box MHP's I've used in the same rifle.

I wasn't a big fan of the FMJ when I used a box, but I'm starting to really like the NBT 50's.  I've got a box of black hills blue box 50 GR VMAX coming for comparisons in the same rifle.  The winner will be my varmint cartridge of choice, unless something better comes along.

At a hundred yards, I slammed a pepsi can filled with water and taped shut with one of these loads.  Explosive.  Found about 8 pieces of can in various shapes, after a bit of searching.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#10]
has it been a week already? last weeks link
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
has it been a week already? last weeks link

What are you?  The ultramax post policeman?

I read every one of the four threads covering this topic, every post, and decided to use the most recent one to add my 2 cents to.   It's too bad this pains you so.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Ultra Max is VERY good for the $$$.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top