Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2009 3:21:53 AM EDT
Looking for a answer here. I know people are saying the ammo shortage is because of O'Bama's policy. But I was out of the loop there. What Policy did he put in place which caused such a ammo shortage? I know by talking with a few dealers, they all blame the president, but no one can tell me why?

I had also talked with a factory ammo rep who stated they are trying to keep up with the demand, but only make a certain calibers once or twice a year. I knew the Iraq war caused a shortage on AR-15/M-16 ammo. But I was looking for a real reason here. Did we cause this by speculation, and bought everything we could get our hands on? I would think that just the purchase of weapons and ammo would stimulate the economy there by employing the folks who make the weapons and ammo. Just wondering because no one can tell me why, just O'Bama.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Great question!  I don't have the answer but you insinuated what I believe to be the truth.  I feel it has been a bunch of panic buying based solely on fear and speculation.  I don't believe that there has been anything Obama has done specifically except his nomination of Sotomeyer who is an anti-2nd amendment judge.

I think if this administration were going to do anything at all they would have tried to re-institute the AWB or Brady bill.  Though it would be political suicide to do that in the first term.  I personally look for those to creep in soon after his re-election, if he is re-elected.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Curtail Gun Owners’ Rights

[Probability 8.0 / U.S. Impact 8.5 / GOP Impact 3.2 / GOP Misery Index = 6.56]

Obama strongly supports the right of cities and states to restrict gun owners’ rights. So it was not surprising that more than 350,000 Americans rushed to buy guns the week after the election. Expect Obama to appoint judges who oppose the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Washington, D.C.’s, gun ban. Not only will he have a chance to fill key vacancies of the nation’s appellate courts, Democrats are pushing through a new judgeship bill that will create more judicial slots – all to be vetted and filled by the Democrat-controlled Congress.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Barack Obama Is Anti-Gun!

In a rare occurrence, NRA and the Brady Campaign (formerly Handgun Control, Incorporated) agree on something.    

Four years ago, the Brady Campaign endorsed an anti-gun senator by the name of John Kerry for President, and NRA thought that decision made sense –– for an anti-gun group.  

This week, in a testament to his anti-gun record, Barack Obama also received a presidential endorsement from the Brady Campaign.  

So, once again, the Brady Campaign and NRA are in total agreement –– Barack Obama is, by far, the most anti-gun presidential nominee in history and he certainly deserves the endorsement of one of the most outspoken anti-gun organizations in the country.

Refused to sign the brief supporting an individual Second Amendment right in the Heller case.

Against Right-to-Carry. (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 4/2/08; Chicago Tribune, 9/15/04)

Director, Joyce Foundation –– one of the most anti-gun foundations in America. (Politico)

"I think it's a scandal that this president [Bush] did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban." (Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes, 10/21/04)

"Clinging" to guns –– how Obama described "bitter" gun owners at a San Francisco fundraiser.

Ammunition ban supporter. Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting. (United States Senate, S. 397, vote 217, 7/29/05)

Limiting self-defense. Obama voted to allow the prosecution of people who us a firearm for self-defense in their homes. (Illinois Senate, S.B. 2165, vote 20, 3/25/04)
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you licensed to reload that ammo?
Alarm raised over treaty provision to ban activity

By Bob Unruh
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

President Obama, who supported the handgun ban in Washington, D.C., before it was tossed by the Supreme Court, since his election has watched various proposals to ban "assault" weapons, require handgun owners to submit to mental health evaluations and sparked a rush on ammunition purchases that caused some retailers to name him their salesman of the year. Now he apparently is going after citzens who reload their ammunition. It was during an official visit earlier this month to Mexico that he affirmed his support for a proposed international treaty that addresses "firearms trafficking."

According to a blogger who follows the issue, the treaty was adopted by President Clinton years ago but never ratified by the U.S. Senate, a goal Obama now has adopted.

The answer is finally here to the real reason why guns and church must mix!

The writer, B.A. Lawson, says, "If you reload your own ammo you may find yourself engaged in 'Illicit Manufacturing' of ammunition under an arms control treaty that President Obama started pushing last week in Mexico."

"Virtually everyone who supports the 2nd Amendment or has an interest in firearms has heard the numerous recent reports of ammunition shortages. The shortages have extended to reloading supplies that many folks rely on to keep their shooting costs down or to assemble exotic or hard to find ammunition. Many shooters have considered reloading their own ammo as insurance against limited supplies should legislation be enacted that would make ammo more scarce or dramatically more expensive," the blogger continued.

"Those thoughts may be in vain if the current administration is successful in getting the 'INTER-AMERICAN CONVENTION AGAINST THE ILLICIT MANUFACTURING OF AND TRAFFICKING IN FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, EXPLOSIVES, AND OTHER RELATED MATERIALS' treaty passed."

The treaty defines "illicit manufacturing" as "the manufacture or assembly of firearms, ammunition, explosives, and other related materials."

It then gives authority for that activity only with "a license from a competent governmental authority of the State Party where the manufacture or assembly takes place."

"The section … clearly identifies ammo reloaders that are not licensed by the government as 'Illicit Manufacturers' of ammunition. Now that we have reloaders properly labeled, lets move down to Article IV to see what we should do with them," the commentary said.

He then quotes Article IV, which states, "State Parties that have not yet done so shall adopt the necessary legislative or other measures to establish as criminal offenses under their domestic law the illicit manufacturing of and trafficking in firearms, ammunition, explosives, and other related materials."

"This is pretty straightforward. If you reload ammunition without a license after the treaty is signed you will be a criminal," Lawson wrote.

The National Rifle Association said the treaty "does include language suggesting that it is not intended to restrict 'lawful ownership and use' of firearms. Despite those words, the NRA knows that anti-gun advocates will still try to use this treaty to attack gun ownership in the U.S."

The treaty is available online.

At the SnowflakesinHell blog, the writer said there's no mistaking the language.

Even accessories "which can be attached to a firearm" are targeted.

"It would presumably also ban home manufacture of these items without a government license. Do you own trigger jobs? Reload your own ammunition? Not any more, not without a government license!"

The Examiner.com said such international gun restrictions are unacceptable.

John Velleco, director of federal affairs for Gun Owners of America, notes the benefits for Obama of having such rules in treaties, not legislation.

"If ratified and the U.S. is found not to be in compliance with any provisions of the treaty – such as a provision that would outlaw reloading ammunition without a government license – President Obama would be empowered to implement regulations without congressional approval," he wrote.

"If the kind of 'change' that Obama wants is for the United States to take its marching orders from third world countries regarding our gun rights, we're in big trouble!"
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking for a answer here. I know people are saying the ammo shortage is because of O'Bama's policy. But I was out of the loop there. What Policy did he put in place which caused such a ammo shortage? I know by talking with a few dealers, they all blame the president, but no one can tell me why?

I had also talked with a factory ammo rep who stated they are trying to keep up with the demand, but only make a certain calibers once or twice a year. I knew the Iraq war caused a shortage on AR-15/M-16 ammo. But I was looking for a real reason here. Did we cause this by speculation, and bought everything we could get our hands on? I would think that just the purchase of weapons and ammo would stimulate the economy there by employing the folks who make the weapons and ammo. Just wondering because no one can tell me why, just O'Bama.

Of course, it is fear.  Fear of treaties, fear of ammunition tax proposals, etc...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Dupe: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=434477
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top