Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2003 6:23:49 AM EDT
Just wanting thoughts on the importance of caseneck/primer sealant on ammo that will be used for plinking and SD.
I'm making a choice between two types of ammo for a particular rifle...both function 100%.
one is mil-spec m193 w/ sealant with acceptable accuracy.
the other is similar ballistically, is not sealed, but is more accurate.
No, I don't plan on making beach assaults.:)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I avoid neck sealed ammo. Seems I always found traces of sealant in the barrel( red Wolf sealant). I never had any reliability issues. I just wasn't comfortable with the sealant being in the grooves of the barrel where I couldn't be sure it was all out after cleaning. I also choose "plinking" ammo by price over performance. You didn't mention the price difference.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
An hour of sink submersion and my Black Hills 75 grain had no trace of moisture in the case.  If you plan on storing the ammo underwater for a few days Id get the neck sealant though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the most accurate and not worry about the neck sealant.  I recently chronographed some .22-250 factory ammo and reloads that were loaded in the 1970's and stored with no particular care in a variety of dressers and cabinets over the years.  They showed no sigficant velocity loss and the reloads were right on the targeted velocity.  None of these were sealed, just standard loads, so neck sealant would have made no difference that I can see in the reliabilty or potency of these cartridges.  Sealant would make a big difference if stored in wet conditions or under water for any length of time, but my experience is that temperature changes have much more effect on dry ammo than airborne moisture or himidity.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your opinions guys...for my needs, that's how I was leaning as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I reload Handgun ammo! Ive sat a 9mm 124FMJ that came fresh off my Square deal press in a glass of water. The 9mm has no sealant at all!  
Came back next day and fired the round!Boom!
So if you plan on doing the UDT/Seal Deal then i would go for it!
Since you wont be near water that much go for the most accurate!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top