Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 4:57:29 PM EDT
Is there any reason why I shouldn't store my ammo in my gun safe?
I figured it would be safer in there then in a storage box, and I also figured that the "Goldenrod" inside the safe would help prevent moisture from getting to the ammo.
I would like to hear your opinion both pro and con.
Thank you,
Tim
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
if your ammo fits in your safe...

you need more ammo
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if your ammo fits in your safe...

you need more ammo

+87
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes there are GOOD reasons not to store ammo in a safe.

The best reason is, if the safe is involved in a fire and it doesn't protect the contents, it becomes a bomb, unless you are talking just a few boxes. A safe FULL of ammo is more dangerous than a room full of ammo.

Ammo should be stored in a container that can vent if involved in a fire. This minimizes the detonation hazard.

Moisture is of minimum concern, even in the most humid places. It can be dealt with using safer means than confinement in a safe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If I put all my ammo in my safe I would have no room for my guns. I believe the rubber sealed green military cans are the best bet. My .02
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I put all my ammo in my safe I would have no room for my guns. I believe the rubber sealed green military cans are the best bet. My .02

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, I keep a few thousand each of 5.56NATO, 9MM, .45ACP, .22LR and 7.62NATO in my safe with my guns. It's not my total SHTF stash, but enough so that if my house were broken into and ammo located (unlikely, unless they have a LOT of time on their hands and know where to look--and things are hidden in different locations so if they find some, they won't find all--they have to work for it) and stolen--I'd still have some. A few thousand is better than none....

But, I have the largest safe Browning makes, so I have room for guns & ammo.

Most burgleries are quick--at least if you believe the FBI info--so robbers supposedly won't spend hours searching. But if the thief knows you're away for awhile--they may make a weekend of it--and enjoy the wine rack, liquor cabinet, freezer..... Never read about that--just kidding....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The only Ammo I keep in the safe is loaded in Mags.

I keep about 10,000 rounds in the garage. Some in Ammo Cans. Some in the cases they are shipped in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I Keep it in USGI .50 ammo cans, the safe is for my rifles
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I store a thousand or so rounds in the safe (that's all the room I have) and the rest is stored in several locations around the house in green ammo cans. I've only got a total of 10,000 rnds. Need to get a bunch more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
FWIW, I keep a few thousand each of 5.56NATO, 9MM, .45ACP, .22LR and 7.62NATO in my safe with my guns. It's not my total SHTF stash, but enough so that if my house were broken into and ammo located (unlikely, unless they have a LOT of time on their hands and know where to look--and things are hidden in different locations so if they find some, they won't find all--they have to work for it) and stolen--I'd still have some. A few thousand is better than none....

But, I have the largest safe Browning makes, so I have room for guns & ammo.

Most burgleries are quick--at least if you believe the FBI info--so robbers supposedly won't spend hours searching. But if the thief knows you're away for awhile--they may make a weekend of it--and enjoy the wine rack, liquor cabinet, freezer..... Never read about that--just kidding....

Who would steal hundreds of pounds of ammo for guns they probably don't own? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Who would steal hundreds of pounds of ammo for guns they probably don't own? Just wondering.

I've got magazines and ammo for guns/calibers I don't own. If nothing else they could be good barter material.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
i've been thinking of buying a stack-on gun locker solely for the purpose of keeping my ammo under lock & key.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:58:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got magazines and ammo for guns/calibers I don't own. If nothing else they could be good barter material.

Recon so. I don't have alot of room, so ammo for guns I dont own would be taking up precious space.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top