Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2005 3:08:43 PM EDT
I found some of this in 55 gr fmj at a good price.

What does the gallery here say about it. I know it is not "milspec" but how does it compare to the "Q" and other milspec ammo.

Would you use it for SHTF scenarios?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I found some of this in 55 gr fmj at a good price.

What does the gallery here say about it. I know it is not "milspec" but how does it compare to the "Q" and other milspec ammo.

Would you use it for SHTF scenarios?

It's as good as any of the commercial 55 gr stuff. It's just not as hot as M193 spec ammo. Some reloaders don't like the brass, but for one time use ammo, it's fine. BTW, some of the AE reortedly gets loaded into LC brass. So those that are will be fine for reloading.

As far as SHTF use, I'd prefer it to Wolf. AE223 was the ammo used by the Beltway Snipers and I am pretty sure the ammo did fragment at close ranges, at least in some of the shootings. I would honestly much prefer M193 or 68/75 gr OTM loads, but you gotta go with what you can get sometimes. So be your own judge. Again, I'd prefer M193. But I'd certainly rather have AE223 than Wolf if it was all I could get.

My suggestion would be to sit on a thousand or two thousand rounds of the good stuff (M193 spec) if you have it and if not, try to get it now. Then buy the commercial spec stuff for training, increasing your total stock and whatnot if you find it cheaper or more available. That should take care of both issues. Chances are, if you need more than 2000 round of M193 in a defensive situation, you'll be dead long before you exhaust your supply anyway. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I fire the AE 55 grain stuff quite a bit simply because the price is nice, and I have had no probs with it.  As Charg. Handle said, it's great for the courses, and it won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
AE is not optimal for End of the World Combat due to the mild velocity.  It is outstanding practice/Carbean class ammo, however.

I always am puzzled by dudes that show up and shoot XM193 in a carbean class.  Why burn through good hot ammo for close distance and repetitive drills?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AE is not optimal for End of the World Combat due to the mild velocity.  It is outstanding practice/Carbean class ammo, however.

I always am puzzled by dudes that show up and shoot XM193 in a carbean class.  Why burn through good hot ammo for close distance and repetitive drills?

I am shopping around for ammo now, and don't find much, if any, price difference between the AE and XM193. If the price is the same, why not get and shoot the 193?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
It's great for punching holes in paper.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I use it all the time..................It's great  ammo
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used it in the past.

I have nothing against it; it's just than Almost everything else out there have better prices and outright value.

If I were given a 1G case I'd strictly use it in my Bolt Action rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am shopping around for ammo now, and don't find much, if any, price difference between the AE and XM193. If the price is the same, why not get and shoot the 193?

Some people do.  M193 is harder to come by these days.  I'd rather shoot up readily available commercial .223 and keep the good stuff for my personal stash.

What's the point of burning through good, hot ammo during practice?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The guy shooting a 20 inch barrel fed by IMI .223 commercial ammo is going to be able to hit any target just as hard as the guy firing XM193 thru a carbine!  These are the physical, undeniable FACTS:

Q3131A fired in 16 inch barrel yielded an average velocity of 3059 fps.

IMI .223 fired in a 20 inch barrel yielded an average velocity of 3048 fps.

How would the target know the difference?  Except perhaps that the Carbine shooter is disclosing his position more dramatically with the larger muzzle blast and flash of unburned powder...

Paladin
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
TRUE!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
You might find this of some use.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=244375
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I only use AE .223 62Grain. Opinions will vary from person to person. However, over the years I have heard mixed reviews about the quality of the xm193. It has been rumored that the military gets grade 1 and we civilians get grade 2 and below.  So I have decided to stick with the Anerican eagle and it has done me no wrong. Again this will vary from person to person,. I suggest you buy a few  boxes of different brands and make your own sound decision as to what works for you .
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Goes BANG every time I pull the trigger.

I like the AE .223 ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top