Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 8:27:39 AM EDT
Hey guys, I tried posting this over in the general area but had no luck there...

Have any of you guys bought one of these yet? If so any thoughts or experiences you would like to share? Anybody know what modifications need to be made to the bolt and can these be done by the average, non-gunsmith sort of person? Does the standard bolt catch\release still work with these?

Before anybody starts the "save you money, just get a standard A3 upper" type of reply, I would be using this upper to build a fun\plinking\varmint\3 gun match sort of rifle. Just interested in building something different. Not something my life is going to depend on.

I just checking to know if these are quality receivers and\or if there is something I should know\be concerned about before buying?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#2]
And it's handy as all get out if you are shooting long strings from prone; especially with a sling on.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Who fluted your M4 barrel?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes, I have one. Very pleased with mine which is built into an M4 style upper.

A little different when it comes to malfunction drills though...I keep going for the charging handle up top which isn't there!

The Ameetec guys will take care of you and I have no problem saying that the side-charging handle is a nice alternative to the everyday.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=31052

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=31053

Wow - you went with the whole Ameetec rig there huh?! As I stated, this will be a purely target gun (mostly prone\bench) so as SailorDude mentions, it seems like a side charging upper would be more convenient.

I would like to hear more about the modified bolt. What exactly do they modify and how is it accomplished.

Does your upper have the telfon coating on the inside surfaces? I ask because I remember somebody posted a while back complaining about an Ameetec upper that they had bought which had a very rough finish on the inside? (I believe it was a standard A3 style, not side charging, upper?)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a couple of them and I'm pretty happy with them.  They are definitely different and I usually get people asking me about it at the range.  

I bought the carrier from Ameetec already notched so I wouldn't have to worry about finding someone to do it for me.  The notch isn't something you can easily do at home.  The notch is located at the front portion of the carrier in the 3 o'clock position if you look at it from the front.  It's approx.  1/4" high, 1/4" deep and 1/2" long.

I didn't notice the inside being unusally rough.  I've got mine setup in a 9mm SBR for my machine gun.  It runs FA fine.

I did do one small modification.  The side chargine handle was hitting the bolt release but a little filing solves that problem.

BTW, Ameetec carries those flutted M4 barrels.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Another good choice is SOCOM Mfg side charger upper.
It looks like they are both almost identical.

I used Socom upper in my AR-47 project.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#7]
How are tehy differnet? I always thought that they were identical and even made by the same people. Is this not true.

TSH77769
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Isn't this the ASA design?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top