Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 9:01:58 PM EDT
I had a used set of A2 furniture lying around and also had some extra DuPont ChromaBase urethane paint in metallic blue after a painting job I did.

I sort of went with it...

So what do you think?

BTW, this set IS for sale, if anyone wants it.  Rifle not included.

CJ

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Unique. Definately Unique. I give you that.
Nice job though.

Edited to add: I think you should throw in an A2 Handle with that color. Make all your furniture match.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice paint work, but shiny paint on an AR doesn't do it for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Me, neither.  I just did this for the heck of it.

However, I've seen some pretty wild looking space guns that make this look pretty boring.  SOMEBODY might want to buy a set like this.  

As for the shinyness, I don't have much choice with a metallic color.  It looks like total crap if you don't clearcoat it.   But there ARE matte color options.

If somebody wanted a custom painted stock set, I can do any single color and would do it at the right price.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
one word: ebay!

looks like you did a great job. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder how that would look with a shiny black metallic finish?  That might look purty damn cool.  Either that or I need to get some sleep.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
errr.....its different? [;)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Some one write to the SEALS and tell them that you have a new tactical paint scheme for them!

Seriously though good paint job! I don't much care for the color but to each his own!

JIM
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Contact the Air Force, it'll go great with their new camo uniforms :)

[img]http://www.netvirtuosity.com/camo.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
slightly more tactical than the glow in the dark handguards, pistolgrip, and stock they came out with.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
OK I'll bite! How Much? Goes with my wife's nails. Maybe this will give her a reason to like one of my AR's for a change.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#11]
that's the big pimpin' look, just needs fluffy dice!
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like an AR and a bowling ball had a baby.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#13]
For God's sake! Didn't I beg you not to forget to take your medicine? I warned you that strange things could happen, Please man, seek some help now, before is too late.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Why is the pistol grip still black?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Ummm...because I didn't paint it?  [lol]

I'd sell this set for 50 bucks to anyone who wants it.   But, I'm putting the set on ebay in the next day or two just to see what happens.

Hey, the metallic black idea sounds like a good one.  I bet that'd look pretty good.  Classic, yet twisted, all at the same time.

Or I could just go for a full-on, full spectrum FADE...!

I consider this to be really minor stuff compared to some of the wild color anodize jobs I've seen on some Del-Ton products.

For my next trick, maybe I'll do a regular 3 tone woodland camo job...but with each color being a gloss metallic like this!

I've always wanted to do something really wacky like get a DeLorean and either paint it, or polish the whole thing until it looks like the whole car is chromed!

I think I need to take my pills now...

CJ

Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, matches my car.  Car Cammo! The boys in the hood should like that.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Bling Bling...

You should really paint the grip as well.  I like the color fine for a space gun, but I think a free float tube would look cooler.

Maybe a white upper with a red lower...

Ok, maybe I shouldn't start drinking this early...
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Would've gone along nice with an old Chevy 4x4 I used to have painted in IROC blue
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Corp Stiener:
that's the big pimpin' look, just needs fluffy dice!
View Quote

Some gold metalflake scallops over the blue...maybe an airbrushed mural on the buttstock, a dingle ball sling & you'd be style'n, eh vato?  [):)]  And yes, you might just be a sick little monkey [;D]  At least it wasn't hot pink....

Nice job.  If & whenever I do a 80% lower I was thinking about having it anodized in some funky color like purple for the obnoxiousness factor...a set of metallic blue furniture would work well.  A friend of mine has a complete airgun set-up that's the shizznit so I'll probably have her do the honors.

Just a thought, but the pretty blue handguards might 'jury proof' your evil black rifle if you had to use it for social purposes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
slightly more tactical than the glow in the dark handguards, pistolgrip, and stock they came out with.
View Quote

HOLY SH*T, ARE YOU SERIOUS???? THAT IS SWEEETTTTTTT! Where can i find a pair?

I think it would look neat under a blacklight...No practical purpose whatsoever though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Ask and ye shall receive [:D]
Incandescent light:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15011[/img]

Blacklight:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15012[/img]

Glowing!:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15013[/img]

Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ask and ye shall receive [:D]
Incandescent light:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15011[/url]

Blacklight:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15012[/url]

Glowing!:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15013[/url]

View Quote

Cool.

Easy to find your rifle if you misplace it at night....
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Very FUN.

I'm sure somebody will be offended, which is one of my prerequisites for art.

I have one small critique- matching front and back makes it look like pajammas or a leisure suit. You want a COMPLEMENTING color scheme in your blue that takes in to account black. Dark red and white are some colors that would work. You could even do a fade job. Now you are getting close to sick!

EBay- offer the buttstock and handguards SEPARATELY, with an offer to combine shipping for the winning bidder. This gets 'em bidding on the separate parts, and before you know it, a couple fellas have to "win" at any price. Sheesh.

Pete
(the guy with the leopard skin boom tube who's refinishing an old grip to match.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I find myself strangely attracted to it...
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep, some people will do anything to get rid of that "bad black rifle" look. Check this photo out of Benny Hill shooting in the USPSA 3 Gun National Match recently.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=34121&iGalleryUnq=861&iImageUnq=16735[/img]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]
that is AWESOME Gloftoe!!! Where can i find a set like that at?

Acctually, it makes our "evil" black-rifles seem a little more PC.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#27]
It'd be really awesome if you could get a cheap receiver, and have that painted as well. Like those new bushmaster ones, since they're kind of like the furniture, right?

BUT, two words.... RACING STRIPES!
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#28]
You want to talk sick? Paint your furniture including handle Metallic gold, and add a matching Nike Swoosh over the reciever on both sides...

You'd be bling blinging fo real yo!
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm more of a metalic candy apple red kind of guy.  Now if they would just make some [purple]mood ring[/purple] color so you could watch your handguards change color as they heat up...
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I think that can be done, simply by adding the appropriate liquid crystal content to the paint.

I'm going to put the blue set up on ebay and see what happens.  If it works, I can raid my stock of other colors.

Aqua blue metallic, anyone?

How about candy apple red over a gold base?

Harley-Davidson pearl white?

I sense an American flag theme in there somewhere...

CJ

Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#31]
OOOO OOOOO YOU MUST DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
(well you don't have to, but i think i'd be cool)

Go to any major Auto-Parts Store (discount auto parts/advance auto parts have it for sure). And ask for Chameleon paint.

It's usually a pack with three areosol cans. The primer, base and alternative color.

Follow the directions, and you'll end up with furniture that will adapt a different color from every angle you look at it.
Occasionally you see some cars with that paint...Ford made a VERY limited Mustang Cobra Mystique in 1996 with that color.

Also, you're odds of selling your furniture will skyrocket!! who knows, you might want to keep it!

This tread is getting me wayyy too excited.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey, you make a furniture set of the good ole red, white, and blue, and you will seriously have my interest...
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]
My honest opinion is that the only place that I would expect to see something like that would be in one of those honor guard units in a gay rights parade. LOL
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I threw the set up on ebay just to see what happens.

Feel free to take a look:

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3624914152&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1[/url]

But be warned, this isn't one of those auctions that you can bid up to ridiculous levels.  If you bid, expect to pay if you are the high bidder.  I know that most of the members here are mature enough that I don't have to warn YOU, but there's always somebody who'll screw around on something like this, and if they do, expect me to take action and get your ebay status changed to "not a registered member".

CJ
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Every one on here was having a little fun with your paint job, now you WARN US? F!&^%$(*
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Fun's great, but take any bidding seriously.  That's all I ask.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My honest opinion is that the only place that I would expect to see something like that would be in one of those honor guard units in a gay rights parade. LOL
Good shootin, Jack
View Quote

3rdtk, not everything has to be hard core and serious.  Don't you ever lighten up and play?  I am just a patriotic civilian and like our stars and stripes - not gay to me.  Of course I don't know if you were referring to the blue, or the red-white-and blue....[;)]
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#38]
blue white red (vertically) on the other hand: totally gay....

hehehehe, no offense to the french memebers on this site.......You must be cool if you're a AR15.com member.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Understandable.  How about splitting the difference and going with a subdued red/white/blue.  How about just using the colors of a subdued flag patch those military types wear on the uniforms sometimes?  Could just be shades of OD green (I am liking that idea better and better).

Sometimes I just like to be a little different (Alaskans are like that) and patriotic (nothing wrong with that).  It's for me, not others, I don't give a flip whether they like it or not.  The picture posted with the competition shooter's stars and stripes furniture still looked nice, I don't think he looked gay, just extremely patriotic.  Look at my user info and you'll see just how big I am on our flag. BTW, that flag is the most northern flown flag flown inside the USA, flown (and retired) from the most northern US military flag pole INSIDE the US (Air Force station I work at a few miles South)

Edited to say: OD shades and HORIZONTAL!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top