Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2003 1:23:08 PM EDT
Let’s see if I got this worked out. I want a 9mm upper to play around with. I am in the PRK so can not buy a new lower for this project. I want to be able to go back and forth from .223 to 9mm depending on what I want to shoot at. Not a fast change out kit just to be able to change the night before going shooting. I want to stay true to the original Colt look as well. Let me know if this is going to work like I want.

1. RRA or Colt 9mm upper.
2. 9MM bolt ramped so that I do not have to change out my fire control parts.
3. 9mm buffer.
4. ASA or Garrison mag well adapter.
5. Modified UZI mags.

Am I missing anything? Will this work the way I want it to?

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds good but you may want to sheck out the mag well adapter at the to of this forum Hy-tech i think it is......
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to stay true to the original Colt look as much as possible so the Hy-tech mag block is out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, about the hammer...it all depends on what you have.  If it has a rounded top,it'll be fine.  IF it's hooked, change it out.  

Your parts list appears okay.  Actually, a 9mm buffer is not required.  I have a Cav 15 that has DPMS guts (so the hammer for 223 works) and I"m using the 223 spring and buffer.  No probs.

Well, your set up may or may not work.  Why I say you might wonder.... magazine compatability.  Some uzi mags may or may not fit correctly inside the mag well adapter.  I have been lucky, most of my mags work or can be modified to work.  You won't know till you get all your parts together (mainly the mag and adapter) and head off to the range.  It's the truth of 9mm AR's....
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Define "hooked". Do you mean an M16 hammer?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Define "hooked". Do you mean an M16 hammer?
View Quote
[blue]

"Hooked" = the std AR-15 hammer we are accustomed to seeing in AR's, it has the angled cut at the top of the hammer face that catches on the fire pin collar if the disconnector should happen to fail.

Some parts suppliers are saving some machining expense, and simply cutting the secondary sear surface off the M16 hammer. That is what I have in mine when I needed a replacement hammer years ago, and using the 9mm bolt "as-is",,, is not a problem. Mine is ramped now, so with the ramp, you can use a std "hooked" AR hammer.[/blue]

My "sear-less" M16 hammer--
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p7a21929478de21856da2653f457a76fc/fc681fb2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay now I understand.

To confirm: If I ramp the bolt I can use either the "hooked" or the converted M16 .223 hammer. And I do not have to change out any of my fire control parts to go back to shooting my .223 upper.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#7]
As I understand it the 9mm hammer will work just fine with the .223 bolt, but a "normal" .223 hammer (with the notched face) won't work with a 9mm bolt.  So if you put in a 9mm hammer or a modified M16 hammer you're good to go w/o ramping the bolt, but if you ramp the bolt you can use any hammer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As I understand it the 9mm hammer will work just fine with the .223 bolt, but a "normal" .223 hammer (with the notched face) won't work with a 9mm bolt.  So if you put in a 9mm hammer or a modified M16 hammer you're good to go w/o ramping the bolt, but if you ramp the bolt you can use any hammer.
View Quote

Yes.

From what I have seen/read, a 9mm hammer will work w/ the 223 upper and w/out ramping the bolt.

Having the rounded top 223 hammer(or modified M16) will work with the 9mm (and no ramping required).

The info I've read says bolt ramping will allow any hammer to work.  I haven't done this first hand.  As I have only can say that a standard 223 hammer (rounded), buffer and spring work w/ my 9mm ASA set up.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top