Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2006 1:49:15 PM EDT
I'm inspecting my second case of PD I'd ordered from Wideners about a month ago. I recieved them about 3 wks ago, just started inspecting the ammo and preparing for storage (stripper clips, bandos, then ammo cans with descicant) . My previous purchases of this ammo (approx 5,000rds) I believe was par to everyone elses, I'd end up with 20-30 rds that I felt were unsafe to shoot. The first case from this particular purchase only had ONE bad round, the bullet was improperly seated in the neck. Sure I had a few with nicks, dings and dents, but no split necks or badly dented rounds, none of what I expected to see. I'm about two thirds thru the second case and I've yet to reject one. Belive me, I'm NOT COMPLAINING! I did  find a couple rounds that had copper colored primers rather than the typical brass colored primers, but I see no reason to reject them. All the primers appear seated properly.
Am I just living right or is anyone else noticing the QC to be MUCH better?

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I am new to the forum and new to AR's........I just purchased my first one.  I have been buying different kinds of ammo to see what functions properly.  I purchased a case of XM855PD from natchez a couple of weeks ago.  I sorted through the box and only found one bad round..........SERIOUSLY dented.  The rest were fine except for the little dings on many of them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Gearhead,
WELCOME to ARFCOM, and welcome to the world of AR's!
When PD came on the market, it was pretty bad, but still somewhat cost effective, IMO (especially if you don't put a price on your time). Most of the bad rounds I encountered were either split necks, or what looked like somthing jammed between the neck and the bullet, or the lip of the neck was caught while the bullet was being seated.  Either way, I didn't want to chance them, so they were tossed.
So that makes two of us....1 bad round out of a thousand.  For $.18 a round plus the ride,  I'll take that anyday!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been through two cases in about the last 9 mths. both seemed to be in the reject rates much publicized of about 15 rounds bad out of 1000.  I have never had a squib, FTF, FTE, or over pressure sign on the primer or case head. I did just buy a can from ammoman of non PD (will be a safe queen). I really am happy with what I get from PD. Acuraccy from my 1/9 wylde 20" is better than I can do with XM193.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have found only three bad rounds, though I have only gone through about 1/3 of the case.  
By comparison, I have 20 bad rounds of 193PD, and I am about halfway through sorting that case.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I just received my case last week, I was not as lucky as you guys. I have only gone through half a box. Big dents on two or three and one round that is bent to the side. Otherwise I have twenty or thirty I won't shoot because of dents on the shoulders. Some also had bad splashes of green paint on the cases that needed to be removed.

That said, I fired about 30rounds of it today, it shoots fine but I won't order it again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a few hundred rounds of it from my local dealer and all of it looks perfect.  It looks just as good as XM193 in the boxes
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had good luck with PD.  Used it for range ammo.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have never found one bad round in the cases of XM855PD that I have bought
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#9]
just got 500 rounds yesteday, inspected 90 (3 -30 rnd mags full) so far, some had small dings in them but i've seen that with WWB-223 val-pac... hopefully my luck will continue.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have never found one bad round in the cases of XM855PD that I have bought

I thought I was the only one.  I have shot thousands of rounds and put many thousands on strippers.  Let me know where to send my check for the " Good Luck With The PD Club"
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top