Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 2:37:00 AM EDT
I have put maybe 300 rounds through my AR since getting it  7 months ago. I have yet to clean the bore. I have taken it apart and oiled it and sprayed it down with CLP but other than that nothing.

I am waiting to see when it will fail. It has been working fine since I got it but it was firing towards the right on my last range trip. Could have been me though.

It is not visibly dirty so i think it will manage. If it helps any its an Armalite upper on a bushmaster lower.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I went around 1500 rnds one time of nothing but Wolf and Olympic then finally had a FTE(absolutely no cleaning at all, lost track of how much I was shooting one weekend). I am sure had I been using better ammo it would have gone longer or not done it at all. There is a picture around here of an AR that has never been cleaned or had gone an obscene amount of rnds with no cleaning and I think they said it still functions fine. But it was horrible, I could not morally do that
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am waiting to see when it will fail.

Then why are you asking if you're hurting it?  Things are not running to par if something fails, so you obviously don't care.  

However, to answer your question, NO, especially with a chrome bore and chamber.  I've run hundreds of rds on chromed and non-chromed barrels without cleaning.  

If you're trying to get it to fail, I'd do it differently.  I'd stop spraying the CLP everywhere.  That's basically cleaning and relubing it, without getting rid of the gunk it losens up.  I'd just run a bore snake, since you won't get the barrel to cause a failure by getting it dirty other than degrading accuracy over time.  Any failure you get from a high round count will be a mechanical failure from the rest of the weapon being filthy.  

Just my 2 cents.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for your input. The reason I ask is because I am lazy about cleaning my guns other than spraying them down with CLP and oiling them.

Dont laugh but I still do not have a cleaning kit for my AR.  I bought one for it and my wife got ahold of it in the garage and got to cleaning out the clogged up vacume cleaner with it so its pretty much ruined.

And I have no fear of my AK going bad as I know what to expect from it in the cleaning/non cleaning area.

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Take care of your weapon and it will take take care of you, try to get in the habit of every time after a shooting session please clean your weapon even if it dosen't need it and when you really need it , it won't fail you , MY two cents worth,

Thanks COPDILLS
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a Boresnake for it.  Not as good as a "real" cleaning, but far better than nothing IMHO - and almost as quick/easy as your current "spray job."
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd bet more ARs have been wrecked by over cleaning than lack of cleaning.

Agreed, and I'll bet that most people who claim they are testing to see how dirty they can get their AR15s are really just to lazy to clean their weapons.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd bet more ARs have been wrecked by over cleaning IMPROPERLY than lack of cleaning.

Fixed it.

I'd like to know how you can damage a weapon by cleaning it correctly, no matter how many times you do it. I have never seen a bore snake or cotton Q-tip wear away the chrome lining on a bore or cause throat erosion.

I think this is just a convenient excuse.

If you are cleaning your weapon improperly, for example excessively using steel cleaning rods without a bore guide, sure you can damage your throat.

So I would like to know specifically how you can damage your rifle by cleaning and lubricating thoroughly after every shoot, and before it is put away.

I keep seeing this one liner, but I have yet to see how it is true if the cleaning is done properly. Please enlighten me with specifics.

Improper cleaning can cause damage, yes. But that has nothing to do with frequency or thoroughness of cleaning correctly.

But if someone want to explain this "overcleaning damage" to me, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have put maybe 300 rounds through my AR since getting it  7 months ago. I have yet to clean the bore. I have taken it apart and oiled it and sprayed it down with CLP but other than that nothing.

OK, another 9K rounds and we'll talk about cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd bet more ARs have been wrecked by over cleaning than lack of cleaning.

Agreed, and I'll bet that most people who claim they are testing to see how dirty they can get their AR15s are really just to lazy to clean their weapons.....

Stickman you are quite correct. I admit it I am just lazy. Not to make excuses for not taking care of my weapons but after waking up at 2AM to drive 1.5 hours 97 miles one way to work then hit the range on the way home from work I am a little tired when pulling into my garage.

Sometimes I do not even pull my rifles out of the trunk. I just drag myself inside and head for the shower then to the sack. I tell you the best birth control on the market is my work schedule. If I could bottle it and sell it I would be sitting at home right now in my mansion sleeping.

Dreaming of all the surplus ammo I can now afford and all the black rifles I can now purchase. Sorry guys for bullcrapping you but this is the true story.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes sir, you are mostly correct in my case.
However, after 5K, it became an experiment, complete with throwing the rifle around, and into stuff.

I freely admit that all of my other weapons are dirty, and not because I'm actively conducting an experiment on them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Dont laugh but I still do not have a cleaning kit for my AR.  I bought one for it and my wife got ahold of it in the garage and got to cleaning out the clogged up vacume cleaner with it so its pretty much ruined.

Yeah, WTF are they thinking?! My wife used my kinetic bullet puller to pound nails once.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, WTF are they thinking?! My wife used my kinetic bullet puller to pound nails once.

Its good to know my wife isnt the only gun hater on the planet. Her destroying my cleaning rod was the closest I could get her to touching any of my guns.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its good to know my wife isnt the only gun hater on the planet. Her destroying my cleaning rod was the closest I could get her to touching any of my guns.

She did you a favor. Those USGI type metal cleaning rods do more harm than good. Get a bore snake or dewey rod, they will not harm your throat. And for goodness sake take better care of your weapons, so they will take care of you when you need them to!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:53:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks guys for your input. The reason I ask is because I am lazy about cleaning my guns other than spraying them down with CLP and oiling them.

Don't laugh but I still do not have a cleaning kit for my AR.  I bought one for it and my wife got ahold of it in the garage and got to cleaning out the clogged up vacuum cleaner with it so its pretty much ruined.

And I have no fear of my AK going bad as I know what to expect from it in the cleaning/non cleaning area.

Thanks again guys.

well at least your cleaning kit didnt go to waste and your vacuum is tip top.

and i agree stop the CLP that stuff is nothing but good to weapons!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:03:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Fixed it.

I'd like to know how you can damage a weapon by cleaning it correctly, no matter how many times you do it. I have never seen a bore snake or cotton Q-tip wear away the chrome lining on a bore or cause throat erosion.

I think this is just a convenient excuse.

If you are cleaning your weapon improperly, for example excessively using steel cleaning rods without a bore guide, sure you can damage your throat.

So I would like to know specifically how you can damage your rifle by cleaning and lubricating thoroughly after every shoot, and before it is put away.

I keep seeing this one liner, but I have yet to see how it is true if the cleaning is done properly. Please enlighten me with specifics.

Improper cleaning can cause damage, yes. But that has nothing to do with frequency or thoroughness of cleaning correctly.

But if someone want to explain this "overcleaning damage" to me, I'm all ears.

no reply yet Dr
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

She did you a favor. Those USGI type metal cleaning rods do more harm than good. Get a bore snake or dewey rod, they will not harm your throat. And for goodness sake take better care of your weapons, so they will take care of you when you need them to!

I don't get that statement...  In bootcamp we regularly hit man targets to 500 yards.  I don't know how old my M-16 was but it was cleaned everyday of it's "issued" life with a USGI rod...  And for a bootcamp rifle that's ALOT of days.  I'll agree that they aren't as good as a dewey rod but these aren't bench rest rifles.  I'd say that a USGI rod is perfectly fine.

Magoo
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get that statement...  In bootcamp we regularly hit man targets to 500 yards.  I don't know how old my M-16 was but it was cleaned everyday of it's "issued" life with a USGI rod...  And for a bootcamp rifle that's ALOT of days.  I'll agree that they aren't as good as a dewey rod but these aren't bench rest rifles.  I'd say that a USGI rod is perfectly fine.

Magoo

I hear you, Magoo. We did the same in bootcamp, except we were only having to hit at 325 yards (Army). Our rifles saw a lot of rounds. This was in 1981 and most of our rifles were early 1970s era weapons.

For the last couple of years I served as XO I was responsible for the Arms Room for my unit, so I had to do the paperwork for new parts/barrels/bolts etc to repair TO&E equipment like our M16s. I got to see how frequently this stuff was replaced, and for what reason.

This is the deal, there is a big difference between maintaining a battle rifle that will see hundreds of thousands of rounds in it's life (not with the same barrel) from thousands of different trainees/soldiers and a civlian rifle owned by an enthusiast or even a LEO. Those military rifles are unit level armorer maintained, that means if the DI or PSG reports that rifle SNXXXXXX is not zero-capable, they tag it and send it to depot level where they rebarrel it and send it back where it is rezeroed in the next class of trainees/or next unti qual. You may get 25,000 or more rounds out of an M16 barrel. maybe not. They shoot a lot less on full auto during range training now that they have the A2/A4 becasue of  3R-burst than with the old A1s, but they will still usually wear out the barrels with high round counts before any erosion caused by metal cleaning rods becomes an issue.

The little throat erosion caused by a metal cleaning rod may not be an issue for a military battle rifle as decribed in the above conditions, and for some of us who were in the military want to continue to treat it like the battle rifle it is, the standard USGI cleaning rod is fine. For years I used mine on my ARs without obvious detrimental effect. It was only when I took the advice of a friend who had been converted away from a steel cleaning rod for cleaning the bore. He put china marker on the throat of the weapon, then told me to make 5 passes with a steel cleaning rod. red The china marker was all gone from an area of the throat where the rod had abraded it. It's almost impossible to keep from doing this without a bore guide, in which case a steel cleaning rod does no harm to the throat.

Since these rifles and barrels are quite expensive, I decided why not spend a few bucks and make sure I don't wear anything more than I have to. I only shoot about 5-6000 rounds a year, so it's worth making it last longer to me. If you shoot 20,000 rounds a year or more, probably not worth it. Oh and a rifle with a chrome lined bore bore and chamber will resist throat erosion more than an unline rifle since chrome is harder than steel. But I still choose the method that will cause the least wear.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top