Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2003 7:19:16 AM EDT
Currently my ammo stockpile consists of the following, give or take a hundred rounds of each.

1000 Lake City M193
1250 Wolf 55gr
1000 Olympicn M193
1000 MCC 55gr
250 Malaysian m193
250 Israele M193
200 Winchester 55gr (not Q3131A)

5000 rounds of ammo on hand. I've only had my AR for a few months. I hope my fiance doesn't read this, she'll be pissed that I've spent so much on ammo, when it could be going to pay for our wedding! Am I an ammo whore?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:37:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 7:38:06 AM EDT by brouhaha]
You're just starting, so I'll cut you some slack. 5k rounds of 5.56 isn't [i]bad[/i], I guess... [:D] My current stash is about 20k of 5.56. Then there's the 5k of 7.62x51 2k 9mm 2k 5.45 etc... All told, in every caliber, I have about 42k rounds, I believe. Crap, guess it's time to buy more ammo. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:37:53 AM EDT
You are not an ammo whore. Ammo whore's have have at least 3 times as much .223, and about 8 times as much total including 7.62X39, .308, 5.45x39, and .223. Keep working on it, you'll get there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:41:18 AM EDT
well, if it makes you feel better, I only have about 300rds of 5.56, less than 50rds 9mm, mabye 15 12ga shotgun shells, and abuot 400rds of 7.62x39. Does .22LR count in whoring? cause then I might have a little more [:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:24:24 AM EDT
That's about what I have right now, 5000 rounds. Why anyone other than a dealer would possibly need more for their own use is beyond me. Maybe some of the guys with 40k+ of ammo can explain WHY they need so much. No, I'm not the government, just curious.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:31:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: Maybe some of the guys with 40k+ of ammo can explain WHY they need so much.
View Quote
Why does anybody NEED anything that isn't essential to life? Why do you NEED a car when a bicycle can get you places as well? It's obviously not a question about NEEDS. It's about WANTS. I WANT ammo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:37:22 AM EDT
There has to be a clinical name for this IMO. Everytime I think about some new/unopened case of ammo, I get this funny feeling inside. I just have to buy it...Please help me!! [>(]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:37:43 AM EDT
Is that all !
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:03:29 AM EDT
That's all? You need more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:10:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: Maybe some of the guys with 40k+ of ammo can explain WHY they need so much.
View Quote
Until someone starts publicly trading "ammo futures" in the Commodities Markets, there will always be buyers who buy when possible at low prices as a hedge against price and availability concerns. Five months ago, everyone wanted to buy the SA 2700rd tubs but no more was to be had; now they are advertised by SG but at a 10% price increase. Five months from now, everyone will want the 2700rd tubs and there will be no more.
Originally Posted By Collin: I hope my fiance doesn't read this, she'll be pissed that I've spent so much on ammo...
View Quote
I know a guy that replaced the bed's boxspring with a platform bed setup. All was OK until the fiance decides to change the sheets when he wasn't home. The platform was actually 4 panels that opened up to access the ammo stash once the mattress was off. There was something like 20k 223, 8 cases 308, 8 case 8mm plus countless .22s and 9mm. So now he's got direct deposit and no bank card.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:42:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
View Quote
Until someone starts publicly trading "ammo futures" in the Commodities Markets, there will always be buyers who buy when possible at low prices as a hedge against price and availability concerns. Five months ago, everyone wanted to buy the SA 2700rd tubs but no more was to be had; now they are advertised by SG but at a 10% price increase. Five months from now, everyone will want the 2700rd tubs and there will be no more.
View Quote
So are you saying they are more worried about the price going up or the desired ammo disappearing. I could understand buying everything you can of something if you're worried about it not being available in the future. If it is just a concern about price increase, then everyone should purchase all they can of ANYTHING (not just ammo) that is a consumable, easily warehoused, item. Prices always seem to go up on everything over time so the "buy now while it's cheep" mentality would require everyone to have a large storage facility to keep all the stuff they "buy now". Oh, well, it is their money and they can do with it as they choose. I'm sure most people on this board couldn't understand paying $2000 on a camera either, but I have. 5000 rounds is plenty for most TDWMRHOD scenarios I can think of so I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:47:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By brouhaha:
View Quote
Why does anybody NEED anything that isn't essential to life? Why do you NEED a car when a bicycle can get you places as well? It's obviously not a question about NEEDS. It's about WANTS. I WANT ammo.
View Quote
I guess I can understand the WANT over NEEDS thing. I really didn't NEED to spend $1300 on my AR15 when in reality a AK47 with tons of ammo probably would have fit the bill for a SHTF senerio, but I WANTED the AR15 because I JUST LIKED IT. You realize we are all sick bastards for spending this much money on this crap. [beer]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:00:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: Why anyone other than a dealer would possibly need more for their own use is beyond me. Maybe some of the guys with 40k+ of ammo can explain WHY they need so much.
View Quote
I don't [b]need[/b] as much ammo as I have. I just took advantage of the prices at the time. Examples: 1000rds 7.62 x 39= $69.00 delivered 1000rds .308 Port.=$140 delivered 1000rds .308 Santa Barbara=$125 delivered 2700rds 5.56 SA=less than $300 delivered Good deals on ammo are getting harder to find every day, the nice thing is that I don't have to worry about shortages/price increases for a while.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:33:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: If it is just a concern about price increase, then everyone should purchase all they can of ANYTHING (not just ammo) that is a consumable, easily warehoused, item. Prices always seem to go up on everything over time so the "buy now while it's cheep" mentality would require everyone to have a large storage facility to keep all the stuff they "buy now".
View Quote
Not necessairly. A in recent years, 5.56x45 ammo was about as cheap as it could come. Surplus ammo was being sold for as low as 11 cents a round, and new production M193 was going for 15 cents or so. This would represent a buying opportunity, especially since in the past year, much of this surplus has dried up, and new production ammo is more expensive as well. In a pure economic sense, I would not recommend going out and stocking up on .223 WSSM or .17 HMR because it is unlikely that the prices will be higher in the future. Not every price goes up over time. I would definately not stock up on computers now, when 3 years from now they will be twice as fast and half as expensive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:41:05 AM EDT
Shoot that stuff up, ammo is not fine wine, it does not get better with age. Have fun and get better. When you replace it get LC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:13:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By G-CODE: 1000rds 7.62 x 39= $69.00 delivered 1000rds .308 Port.=$140 delivered 1000rds .308 Santa Barbara=$125 delivered 2700rds 5.56 SA=less than $300 delivered Good deals on ammo are getting harder to find every day, the nice thing is that I don't have to worry about shortages/price increases for a while.
View Quote
Hey G-Code, If you don't mind, where was this? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:34:38 PM EDT
I once ordered two cases of 7.62x51 becuase I couldn't figure out what I did with 2000 rounds I had and I was planning on taking a few K to a shoot and didn't want to have none left in the house. By the time the 2K I had ordered showed up I had found the 2K it was replacing; it was being used as a foot rest under my desk. Did I need 6K rounds of 7.62x51? Well, it didn't pain me to have it on hand. Currently there 8K rounds, in 3 different calibers under my desk; I really need to move it to storage with the rest of my ammo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:39:30 PM EDT
To find out if you are an official ammo whore, no poll is necessary. Just see if any of the following apply to you: -If your basement's concrete floor cracks under the weight of your ammo....you are an ammo whore! -If the floor under your bed or closet caves in under the weight of your storage.....you are an ammo whore! -If more than 1 UPS delivery guy has died on your steps from a heart attack.....you are an ammo whore! -If you toss clothing on the floor or furniture because your closet space and dressers are full of ammo.....you are an ammo whore! -If your most prized possession in the house is your ammo stockpile....you are an ammo whore! -If the military brass shows up at your doorstep requesting emergency ammo because you have more than they do....you are an ammo whore! -If you eat vienna sausage, Beanie Weanies and crackers to cut expenses so you can purchase more ammo......you are an ammo whore! -If you think house cleaning consists mainly of dusting off ammo cans.....you are an ammo whore! -If you find yourself on the phone with The Sportsmans Guide, Natchez, Ammoman, etc more than 3 times per week checking the status of your orders....you are an ammo whore! -If you find any cartridge boxes pretty, decorative or otherwise visually stimulating.....you are an ammo whore! -If you have more than 25 catalogs that offer ammo for sale within reach of you for at least 16 hours out of the day.....you are an ammo whore! -If you can't see a flower without thinking of the resemblence to an expanded bullet.....you are an ammo whore! And finally, if you devote 25% or more of your monthly budget to ammo and still find yourself pissed that you couldn't afford more ammo...... you are an ammo whore! If you exhibit 6 or more of those symptoms, then you are a chronic ammo whore and should just keep your browser connected to the ARF.com ammo forum 24/7 and seek therapy among other ammo whores. BTW, my name is Charging_Handle and I am an ammo whore! [:D] -Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:45:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dcoke76:
Originally Posted By G-CODE: 1000rds 7.62 x 39= $69.00 delivered [red]sportsmans guide[/red] 1000rds .308 Port.=$140 delivered [red]Aim Surplus[/red] 1000rds .308 Santa Barbara=$125 delivered [red]Century Int. Arms[/red] 2700rds 5.56 SA=less than $300 delivered [red]sportmans guide[/red] Good deals on ammo are getting harder to find every day, the nice thing is that I don't have to worry about shortages/price increases for a while.
View Quote
Hey G-Code, If you don't mind, where was this? Thanks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:45:40 PM EDT
Omigosh, I only have 260 rounds currently in the house! I figure 500-1000 is good and my friends (who don't shoot mind you) were ASTOUNDED that I have 2x500 round cases of .45 under my bed. They asked why I would need that much if the magazines only hold 7 rounds at a time! [:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:04:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 2:05:56 PM EDT by blikbok]
I don't think it's the number of rounds on hand. If you are Mike Dillon's best friend and neighbor, having a pallet of 5.56 means enough for a night or two. ;) I'd say you've only got a problem if you are buying it and not shooting it!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:17:22 PM EDT
Dude if you are still counting [b]Rounds[/b] then you don't have a problem yet. When you are counting by unopened cases or (as in my case) 5 gal buckets... then your getting it bad. Another true indicator is that you try to draft people to go shooting with you so you won't have to carry so much to the firing line. - Save your Brass, the other gold.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:35:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 2:36:39 PM EDT by Ridge]
Originally Posted By brouhaha: You're just starting, so I'll cut you some slack. 5k rounds of 5.56 isn't [i]bad[/i], I guess... [:D] My current stash is about 20k of 5.56. Then there's the 5k of 7.62x51 2k 9mm 2k 5.45 etc... All told, in every caliber, I have about 42k rounds, I believe. Crap, guess it's time to buy more ammo. [:)]
View Quote
You're [b]NOT[/b] an ammo WHORE! You're an Ammo [size=5]GOD[/size=5][hail2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:37:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wipeout: well, if it makes you feel better, I only have about 300rds of 5.56, less than 50rds 9mm, mabye 15 12ga shotgun shells, and abuot 400rds of 7.62x39. Does .22LR count in whoring? cause then I might have a little more [:)]
View Quote
I'm with you Wipeout, being a teenager and a shooter sucks [:P] Keeping ammo for your rifles/shotguns is a problem. We don't have fulltime jobs so we have much more time to be out shooting [:)] I dream of 5000 rounds of 5.56 I've bought one case and it was great knowing you have that much ammo, need to get a new upper for my preban then I'll start saving up for another case [:D], or maybe I'll be on my way to reloading by then.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 5:31:39 PM EDT by Wipeout]
Originally Posted By EladEflow:
Originally Posted By Wipeout: well, if it makes you feel better, I only have about 300rds of 5.56, less than 50rds 9mm, mabye 15 12ga shotgun shells, and abuot 400rds of 7.62x39. Does .22LR count in whoring? cause then I might have a little more [:)]
View Quote
I'm with you Wipeout, being a teenager and a shooter sucks [:P] Keeping ammo for your rifles/shotguns is a problem. We don't have fulltime jobs so we have much more time to be out shooting [:)] I dream of 5000 rounds of 5.56 I've bought one case and it was great knowing you have that much ammo, need to get a new upper for my preban then I'll start saving up for another case [:D], or maybe I'll be on my way to reloading by then.
View Quote
Oh yes. We definatley are in the same boat. Being a teenager that can only work lousy hours and gets crappy pay and then has to buy gas and make insurance payments and then still have enough money for ammo and shooting is no easy task. I can not tell you how many times I have told my friends I could not go to a concert or whatever becasue I spent all my money on guns! [hijack] Anyway. Elad, I think you should worry about getting a new stock for that flashy pre-ban you got before you think about an upper [BD] [/hijack]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:34:15 PM EDT
All you people with thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo must never shoot! 5,000 rounds WTF are you going to do with it? In a SHTF you are never going to use that much. Hell you can have all the ammo in your state, but when the SHTF food is going to be more important.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:05:11 PM EDT
Hell yea I got 5K of 5.56. I dont understand folks who dont!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:11:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U: All you people with thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo must never shoot! 5,000 rounds WTF are you going to do with it? In a SHTF you are never going to use that much. Hell you can have all the ammo in your state, but when the SHTF food is going to be more important.
View Quote
Right, and I can go TAKE all the food I want from people like you with my 5000 rounds of ammo. [heavy] Just Kidding!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:13:29 PM EDT
More likely, assuming you have your sh*t together, your ammo will be defending your food. If you think more than 5k rounds is too much, don't ever catch the Class III (full auto) bug. 5k rounds is just a day's worth of shooting!
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:35:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wipeout:
View Quote
View Quote
Oh yes. We definatley are in the same boat. Being a teenager that can only work lousy hours and gets crappy pay and then has to buy gas and make insurance payments and then still have enough money for ammo and shooting is no easy task. I can not tell you how many times I have told my friends I could not go to a concert or whatever becasue I spent all my money on guns! [hijack] Anyway. Elad, I think you should worry about getting a new stock for that flashy pre-ban you got before you think about an upper [BD] [/hijack]
View Quote
You guys may be young but you are both wise beyond your years. When I was a teenager I was only concerned with loud stereos, speakers, video games, CD's, guitars, drums and a bunch of other worthless junk. Then I became tired of all of it and when I sold it I normally had to take half of what it was worth just to get rid of it. Had I used my money wisely, I could have obtained all sorts of cool guns and stuff...including many pre-bans. But I was stupid and passed up the chance. While I liked guns and had a few at the time, I was just too immature to manage my money wisely. Damnit, the SP1's that could have been mine! They were floating around by the dozens back before the ban for $500 each or less. For the money I spent on stereos, drums, guitars, etc, I could have had 5 or 6 of them! God that thought makes me sick...lol. While it seems you are making sacrifices now by giving up some of the stuff that most teens do, you will be thankful later. Remember, all the electronics they are buying now will wear out, break or they will eventually see how worthless it is like I did and sell it...at a major cut in price. So you are using your head and buying stuff that may be hard to get a few years down the road. And remember, a gun if properly cared for will hold most of it's value, if not increase in value. So you are making a very wise investment. And unlike a concert that lasts a couple of hours, a good gun will last you a lifetime. Smart guys indeed. I'd offer you both a beer if you were 21! [:D]...only kidding. -Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:36:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gus: If you think more than 5k rounds is too much, don't ever catch the Class III (full auto) bug. 5k rounds is just a day's worth of shooting!
View Quote
You haven't been shooting with the "fast" crowd. The MG42 is 1,200rds per minute; 5,000 rounds will be gone in about 10 minutes and that includes the mandatory barrel change every 500 rounds. I know guys that bring 30-40 cases every time they go out and they don't consider themselves ammo whores.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:49:27 PM EDT
MG42 Cyclic rate of fire is 1200 RPM. Again cyclic not practical rate of fire. I would love to see someone get off 1200 rounds from a MG42 in 60 seconds. -General Lord
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:36:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
Originally Posted By gus: If you think more than 5k rounds is too much, don't ever catch the Class III (full auto) bug. 5k rounds is just a day's worth of shooting!
View Quote
You haven't been shooting with the "fast" crowd. The MG42 is 1,200rds per minute; 5,000 rounds will be gone in about 10 minutes and that includes the mandatory barrel change every 500 rounds. I know guys that bring 30-40 cases every time they go out and they don't consider themselves ammo whores.
View Quote
True enough! I wasn't even referring to a day "at a shoot", just a regular day of "plinking" with a pedestrian toy like an M16.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:39:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wipeout: [hijack] Anyway. Elad, I think you should worry about getting a new stock for that flashy pre-ban you got before you think about an upper [BD] [/hijack]
View Quote
What are you talking about, new stock? It's just the buffer and spring and they are in the mail to my house [:)] I'm confused
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:19:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle: To find out if you are an official ammo whore, no poll is necessary. Just see if any of the following apply to you: -If your basement's concrete floor cracks under the weight of your ammo....you are an ammo whore! -If the floor under your bed or closet caves in under the weight of your storage.....you are an ammo whore! -If more than 1 UPS delivery guy has died on your steps from a heart attack.....you are an ammo whore! -If you toss clothing on the floor or furniture because your closet space and dressers are full of ammo.....you are an ammo whore! -If your most prized possession in the house is your ammo stockpile....you are an ammo whore! -If the military brass shows up at your doorstep requesting emergency ammo because you have more than they do....you are an ammo whore! -If you eat vienna sausage, Beanie Weanies and crackers to cut expenses so you can purchase more ammo......you are an ammo whore! -If you think house cleaning consists mainly of dusting off ammo cans.....you are an ammo whore! -If you find yourself on the phone with The Sportsmans Guide, Natchez, Ammoman, etc more than 3 times per week checking the status of your orders....you are an ammo whore! -If you find any cartridge boxes pretty, decorative or otherwise visually stimulating.....you are an ammo whore! -If you have more than 25 catalogs that offer ammo for sale within reach of you for at least 16 hours out of the day.....you are an ammo whore! -If you can't see a flower without thinking of the resemblence to an expanded bullet.....you are an ammo whore! And finally, if you devote 25% or more of your monthly budget to ammo and still find yourself pissed that you couldn't afford more ammo...... you are an ammo whore! If you exhibit 6 or more of those symptoms, then you are a chronic ammo whore and should just keep your browser connected to the ARF.com ammo forum 24/7 and seek therapy among other ammo whores. BTW, my name is Charging_Handle and I am an ammo whore! [:D] -Charging Handle
View Quote
Don't you just HATE people who brag about their problems? [lolabove]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:24:18 AM EDT
I feel better now. I thought I was an ammo whore all on my own.I have 4 steel cases 18"x18"x12"full of 5.56mm - 7.62x51mm - 7.62x39mm - 30-30 and 9mm - .45acp - .357mag and 5 x 50mm ammo cans with shot shells , tons of .22lr and tracers and stuff. I aslo have a large wood crate with my over flow. Do I qualify?????? I do shoot a lot of .22, lots of it, Me, my wife and my kid will just peel off several thousand rounds over a weekend.And I do a lot of 9mm and 5.56mm, but i just need to replace it in case the world supply runs out!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:49:53 AM EDT
Kids who spend all there money on ammo and guns?.... Is there a therapy group for us? I just got from bass pro $337 dollars poorer. But on the bright side, I am 2040 rounds (40 rounds 30-30) richer? For my tender young age I believe I'm exhibiting classic symtoms of a chronic ammo-whore. I can deal with I guess.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:23:12 AM EDT
The therapy consists of having all your ammo taken by the goverment and dumped at sea, then your guns will be taken and destroyed and made into paper weights as you have no ammo they said you dont need them any more. Your computor will be smashed so you cant order by mail order any more and you phone line tapped so you get cut off if you mutter the words guns or ammo.Your mug shot sent to all gun shops in the world and......HELL YOU WAKE UP IN A COLD SWEAT and go to check on your stash, it was a bad dream......LOL.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:04:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ridge:
Originally Posted By brouhaha: You're just starting, so I'll cut you some slack. 5k rounds of 5.56 isn't [i]bad[/i], I guess... [:D] My current stash is about 20k of 5.56. Then there's the 5k of 7.62x51 2k 9mm 2k 5.45 etc... All told, in every caliber, I have about 42k rounds, I believe. Crap, guess it's time to buy more ammo. [:)]
View Quote
You're [b]NOT[/b] an ammo WHORE! You're an Ammo [size=5]GOD[/size=5][hail2]
View Quote
Fortunately for me, God's don't need money [BD]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:37:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:30:52 PM EDT
Well here goes. 5.56mm 12K M855 type ammo 4k M193 3K 77gr SMK 5K (on order) Mk262 Mod1 77gr 2k 5.56mm Belted [%|] 7.62mm 2k (and some loose boxes) 175gr BTHP 3k Belted (dunno why just got it on sale) 9mm 3.5k 115gr FMJ 6k 147gr RangerT JHP .50 300 rds 750gr AMAX (cause you just never know...) Plus some other misc odds and sodd's. Heck if my unit gets bugged out SOP is to Kevin's before we get on the Herc...
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:49:53 PM EDT
Ammo is like mags, if you know how much you have without having to check, it isn't enough. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:54:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By General_Lord: MG42 Cyclic rate of fire is 1200 RPM. Again cyclic not practical rate of fire. I would love to see someone get off 1200 rounds from a MG42 in 60 seconds. -General Lord
View Quote
Who said anything about practical? Most shooters here are recreational types and they tend to abuse the guns more than combat types. This is especially true of the MG guys. I've personally dumped a 700+ round "burst" thru an MG42; the barrel was already shot out so the owner said go for it, but the gun broke a link at 720 and the barrel looked too dangerous to continue. I've also ripped a 1000rd belt thru a 1917 with one trigger pull, that dirt really took a pounding.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:21:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hail Mary: I know a guy that replaced the bed's boxspring with a platform bed setup. All was OK until the fiance decides to change the sheets when he wasn't home. The platform was actually 4 panels that opened up to access the ammo stash once the mattress was off. There was something like 20k 223, 8 cases 308, 8 case 8mm plus countless .22s and 9mm. So now he's got direct deposit and no bank card.
View Quote
[rofl2] that's a good story. If I was married I would hope that my wife would know where my secret stash was and [size=2]help me get More![/size=2]. I am a dreamer, aren't I?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:37:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ProfGAB101: Dude if you are still counting [b]Rounds[/b] then you don't have a problem yet. When you are counting by unopened cases or (as in my case) 5 gal buckets... then your getting it bad. Another true indicator is that you try to draft people to go shooting with you so you won't have to carry so much to the firing line. - Save your Brass, the other gold.
View Quote
Don't 5 gallon buckets break when full of pistol ammo? What kind of ammo do you store in those? I would think that rifle ammo would weigh less per bucket than pistol ammo, but i suppose it depends on the calibers compared
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:34:08 AM EDT
Dame I suck! I only have like 40 rounds per gun! I thought I had a stock pile of 12ga. shot shells when I bought the 150 pack. YOU GUYS ARE SICK![:D] Samuel
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:27:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DavidC: Currently there 8K rounds, in 3 different calibers under my desk; I really need to move it to storage with the rest of my ammo.
View Quote
Oh good, I'm not the only one; I have several thousand rounds under my desk as well. Every once in a while I'll come across a case of ammo that I had forgotten about.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:37:40 AM EDT
Samuel, You hear about bulk mail order ammo. You need more than you have. I drop that many rounds when I shoot....
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:58:47 AM EDT
i ony WISH i was an ammo whore... i have been curbing my range visits to once every OTHER week because i have less than 1500 rds left and not enough money to replentish. and whats more im building a FAL and it will be finished soon so now ill have another mouth to feed.... good thing i get paid next week. i have my shopping cart saved at SG with 1600rds of SA 308 and 1250rds of 223. plus ive been getting a coupleof boxes of the winchester white box everytime i go to wally world. you guys with 5k or more dont know how good youve got it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:04:37 AM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
Yes definitely. I have 30 rounds of .303 and 5 rounds of 7.5 Swiss right now... Much too poor to order more. I should look into getting a rifle where the ammo costs less than $.50 a round.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 12:30:47 PM EDT
If you run across a good deal, grab it, then you can trade it or sell it and still be ahead. And even if you only get what you paid for it, you've usually recovered a lot higher percentage than you'll get selling, diamonds, gold jewelry, watches, fur coats. Several years ago when Target shot craps on ammo, I found a good deal on the regular Federal softpoints in 270 and 30-06. Got with the manager who wanted to get rid of it and rolled the cart out with almost 1000 rds. each of 270 and 30-06. Did I need it--no, didn't even have a 270, but for $2.00 a box, wasn't hard to sell or trade it at a reasonable price and still have a good margin to work with. Go out with a clay trap, a box of birds, and some shells. How long do you think that will last when you've 3 kids shooting? They cock the trap about as fast as an electrical one. Same with 22s, even a brick doesn't last long when the kids get to plinking at pop cans. Sure you could invest it, buy more diamonds, but you could also just piss it away or throw it away in a hurry on the gambling.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top