Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2005 7:00:51 AM EDT
I have to get some tools and instead of getting a whole set of T-handles I just need to know the size of allen wrench for taking off the standard grip on an AR.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
3/16ths
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
3/16ths

And a long one at that!  My long 3/16 allen wrench turned up missing, and I ran out to purchase another one to wrap up my lower build!  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Replace it iwith a slotted screw. Everyone should have a screwdriver around, how fast can you scare up a 3/16 allen wrench?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Replace it iwith a slotted screw. Everyone should have a screwdriver around, how fast can you scare up a 3/16 allen wrench?

+1

Colt and FN use slotted screws on the M16/M4 series. for exactly the reason mentioned above.  It's a 1/4x28 (fine) thread, and while the local hardware store may not have the fine thread version, DPMS does.

Interestingly, DPMS is the only major builder of ARs, other than Colt, who is using the slotted screw---unless Bushie or Rock River finally saw the light. Don't know about Conti/Stag though.  They're pretty mil spec on all their other parts, so maybe they also use the right piece.

BTW Happy New Year toall.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top