Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 3:34:01 PM EDT
ALL NEW ORDERS NOW REQUIRE A PD LETTERHEAD

Okay, I'm a sick bastard for possibly reviving a sore thread but this link is pertinent to it so I'll just link the thread rather than bring it back.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=29&t=144591&r=&page=1

Now Colt is enforcing it's policies unless I am mistaken. This is good for LE/Gov/Mil to ensure they get the priority on orders but for those who said who cares because then can still buy their way around the policy, this is going to make it mighty tuff after existing stocks dry up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:36:43 PM EDT
That is what i am hearing. Aug posted this on his ad in the EE
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:40:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 3:41:35 PM EDT by secondofangle]
Is there any new information here? Or are we just reviving the old unsubstantiated rumors?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:49:17 PM EDT
Colt?

What a JOKE!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:49:39 PM EDT
Buy something else.

Colt will come to like they did on their MT6400 when they saw what success Bushmaster was having.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:51:37 PM EDT
Well it doesn't look to unsubstantiated for SteyrAug. I don't think he is making this up, it would hurt his business. Now if this only applied to a select group of dealers/distributors, my bad, but that wouldn't be my assumption.

When I was a dealer many years ago, one of my distributors (Jerry's Sport Center) also required a letter and this is way back when. I guess we have come full circle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:52:13 PM EDT
I called a Colt dealer and that's what I was told. Colt will not ship the rifle until they have the letter.
He said that certain dealers were taking the weapons and selling at an inflated price and Colt wasn't very happy.

This is what I was told and I'm just passing it on-so -----
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:59:44 PM EDT
Distributors are still getting these rifles in. Clyde Armory just got 100 rifles in about 2 weeks ago.

The prices in general seem to be coming down to the $1200-1300 level. I haven't seen anybody asking $1500 and up in quite a while.

I think it's fair to call on the "letterhead" rumors.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:27:56 PM EDT
One company comes to mind,

Specialized Armament

I've never heard of ANYONE being asked for a letter from SAW, and they ARE Colt

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 6:16:38 PM EDT by secondofangle]
what if you wanted to ditch some rifles you have right now, or might be getting in soon for a nice price? What would you do? Well, one thing might be to start yet another [yawn] unsubstantiated rumor saying that "this is your last chance without letterhead! Buy now!".

If it were true, I'd think that one prominent dealer would not still have >30 LEOs in stock for under $1300.

We've been through this before. Very boring.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 6:20:56 PM EDT by Variablebinary]

Originally Posted By CRC:
Buy something else.

Colt will come to like they did on their MT6400 when they saw what success Bushmaster was having.

CRC

+1

Who cares. If Colt doesnt want your money, then oh well. Move on

Furthermore, I'm sure Colt is busy with that whole war thing going on. You know in Iraq, soldiers needing weapons so they dont get killed. The plinking can wait till the war is over. Colt should be more relaxed after that
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:16:23 PM EDT
My dealer said he is aware of the supposed Colt letter, but it hasn't effected him. He is not a bigtime dealer, but manages to get in some pretty big shipments of 6920's.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:17:56 PM EDT
The "letter" that everyone's referring to was posted on here a while back - yes the original. ANd it DID NOT say that a letter was going to be required. It simply said that Colt was going to work to fill its PD and Military obligations first.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:28:16 PM EDT
If any of you will recall the only way a individual could aquire an AR-15 marked rifle FH an BL without sporter markings BEFORE 1994 was to supply "letterhead " This is what colt is going to do in the future.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:26:50 PM EDT
Just to point out, the key word is NEW orders, not old or standing orders. I don't think there is a problem with old or standing orders of which there are plenty.

As for SAW sales, most of their business IS LE/Gov so I don't think they will be having a problem either.

No one is referring to the OLD letter that has nothing to do with requiring a PD letterhead, that was not the basis for this new action.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:43:10 PM EDT
It isn't the letterhead that bothers me. It's the pictures they want of you standing outside in a mud puddle on a sunny day dressed in a raincoat and hat while holding a spoon and an umbrella. Or is that a rumor too?

<­BR>

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:56:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:
It isn't the letterhead that bothers me. It's the pictures they want of you standing outside in a mud puddle on a sunny day dressed in a raincoat and hat while holding a spoon and an umbrella. Or is that a rumor too?

Hey, I already got one of those!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:53:51 AM EDT
Well, after hearing all the rumors and shopping for an LE6920 here for a few weeks, I decided to call Clyde Armory a few days ago. They have a list, but must hold some rifles for local buyers. I gave them a call Friday morning to see if they had any in stock, and what the deal was with civilian sales. I ended up driving down to Athens (approx. 1.5 hours from me). They had two left. I got one of them and was told this: Most of the rumors about Colt requiring Letterhead are untrue. Apparently, Colt is still shipping to Law Enforcement dealers/C2/C3. Clyde Armory has been receiving regular shipments of these, and the guy I spoke to acted somwehat surprised that I had been having trouble trying to find a 6920. Basically, I was told that Colt is trying to keep their new rifles out of the hands of Non-Colt LE Dealers, but that shipments continue to LE Dealers regardless of who they are selling to. Something about Colt not wanting 3rd Party dealers "rebuilding their rifles" and reselling with non-Colt parts, which are not warranted by Colt and ultimately make Colt's products look bad.

Again, this is what I was told. I know there are a plethora of other manufacturers out there who make quality AR's and components, and this is not meant to attack their product integrity. Just passing along the info that was presented to me. Colt will still honor a warranty regardless if the rifle was sold to an LEO or a civilian new. As far as I know, I can go right back down to CA and buy more LE6920's as long as they have them in stock. I'm not an LEO, and was in and out of the store in 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:10:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ExParatrooper:
Well, after hearing all the rumors and shopping for an LE6920 here for a few weeks, I decided to call Clyde Armory a few days ago. They have a list, but must hold some rifles for local buyers. I gave them a call Friday morning to see if they had any in stock, and what the deal was with civilian sales. I ended up driving down to Athens (approx. 1.5 hours from me). They had two left. I got one of them and was told this: Most of the rumors about Colt requiring Letterhead are untrue. Apparently, Colt is still shipping to Law Enforcement dealers/C2/C3. Clyde Armory has been receiving regular shipments of these, and the guy I spoke to acted somwehat surprised that I had been having trouble trying to find a 6920. Basically, I was told that Colt is trying to keep their new rifles out of the hands of Non-Colt LE Dealers, but that shipments continue to LE Dealers regardless of who they are selling to. Something about Colt not wanting 3rd Party dealers "rebuilding their rifles" and reselling with non-Colt parts, which are not warranted by Colt and ultimately make Colt's products look bad.

Again, this is what I was told. I know there are a plethora of other manufacturers out there who make quality AR's and components, and this is not meant to attack their product integrity. Just passing along the info that was presented to me. Colt will still honor a warranty regardless if the rifle was sold to an LEO or a civilian new. As far as I know, I can go right back down to CA and buy more LE6920's as long as they have them in stock. I'm not an LEO, and was in and out of the store in 20 minutes.

Well gee, that does makes sense, but is not nearly as interesting as some of the conspiracy theories.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:31:05 AM EDT
That letter is dated before I ordered and received my LE6920!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:47:31 PM EDT
I have trouble understanding any of this. Why would we (collectively) continue to support this manufacturer? They are restricting sales of semi-auto AR15 rifles to civilians because of an LEO marking. SHHHHHHHHHHH... Dont tell anyone this but that LEO mark does not give you special powers or make your gun better. I would never own a colt rifle at this point. If they want to ban sales to civilians....... we should give them what they think they want.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:44:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dave223:
I have trouble understanding any of this. Why would we (collectively) continue to support this manufacturer? They are restricting sales of semi-auto AR15 rifles to civilians because of an LEO marking.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that you have trouble understanding any of this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:02:36 PM EDT
I have a strong feeling despite all of the rumors that Colt is doing the same thing Remington does with it's LE weapons. Try ordering a 700P from big Green--No Go. Order one from any number of distributors that also handle LE and your good to go. I think it is more of a liability thing fot Colt. They don't want some nut job ending up on the 6:00 news with a LEO marked weapon. Colt can deny selling the rifle to civillians because they are "only available to law enforcement."
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:35:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wreckdiver:
I have a strong feeling despite all of the rumors that Colt is doing the same thing Remington does with it's LE weapons. Try ordering a 700P from big Green--No Go. Order one from any number of distributors that also handle LE and your good to go. I think it is more of a liability thing fot Colt. They don't want some nut job ending up on the 6:00 news with a LEO marked weapon. Colt can deny selling the rifle to civillians because they are "only available to law enforcement."

I think you are correct for the most part. That sounds like Colt.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:48:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wreckdiver:
Colt can deny selling the rifle to civillians because they are "only available to law enforcement."

But that only works if they actually enforce what they claim. Saying so, then turning a blind eye to it, only gets you on 60 minutes or 20/20.

I see the SCOTUS today refused to reconsider a 9th district opinion that a gun manufacturer liability lawsuit could continue, so now the suit can continue. This situation is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2005 4:39:27 PM EDT by ExParatrooper]
I am not one of the Colt fanboys persay, but I am having a hard time understanding why people are completely tossing out Colt as a manufacturer because they aren't marketing LE Carbines directly to civilians. It's a simple technicality: So they are only shipping their LE Carbines directly to LE Dealers. Big friggin' deal. Go to an LE Dealer and buy one. There is nothing stopping you from doing so save your budget or an anal-retentive LE Dealer. As mentioned above, Colt is turning a blind eye once they have shipped rifles and carbines to their dealers, or they simply don't care. Maybe it is just some screwed up way of business organization (LE Carbines = LE Dealers). Who really cares? They are availiable to anyone able to legally buy a firearm if you have the patience to get on a list or drive to your local Colt LE dealer. It amazes me the bitching that has transpired over this topic. Mainly the folks who are bitching and downtalking Colt are the same ones who really really want their products, but curse the steps needed to obtain one. So, you won't find them NIB at the local Bob's Pawn/Laundromat/Drive-Thru Beer store -- call around to those LE Dealers.

If you don't want to wait, get a BM or RRA.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:48:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2005 4:52:15 PM EDT by STR8SHTR]
The problem is some of the distribuotrs are still holding to them and not shipping without the letter. I have a friend who is a dealer and is running into this problem with several Colt distributors. Colt ships these rifles to a distributor who in turn sells them to the dealers. The distributor does not want to ship them to the dealers without the dealers providing a letter because they are afarid Colt will pull their distributorship. It's Colt's policy with the LE M4 carbines not the dealers.

This is not a rumor it is fact. I have spoken with several of the distributors that are doing this.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:52:18 PM EDT
Despite all the BS I picked up mine today and I'm a happy camper. Can't wait to wring it out at the range this weekend. Pics soon to follow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:33:04 PM EDT
Ultimately this really means nothing. Since the 70's big green and Colt have had similar sales "policies" - My father has a Remington 870 with a folding stock that is marked "For Law Enforcement Only" - I was with him when he bought it in about 1976, I was not old enough to drive. The local dealer sold lots of guns to area police departments, and always had lots of cool stuff. The gun is completely 100% legal as to barrel length, etc. , It is just a dumb sales policy that was thought up by someone with a marketing degree.

By the way, are the 6920 hammer/trigger pins military spec size or PC "non standard" ala my Sporter H-Bar?

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:40:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DaffyDuck:
By the way, are the 6920 hammer/trigger pins military spec size or PC "non standard" ala my Sporter H-Bar?

6920's have the "PC" .170 fire control pins.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:58:36 PM EDT
Well, I found my 6920, the rest of you are screwed
Top Top