Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2003 2:33:48 AM EDT
Hi guys, Panz here.

Just picked up a GI M16 bandolier kit, complete with cardboards, yada yada yada.

Just loaded it up.

WTF do I do with the safety pin?

AM I AN IDIOT??

Uhhh...don't answer that last one...I think I already know the answer.

Panz
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
PB,

Don't know for certain (no "proof") but while I was in the Infantry I was told that the safety pin was to be used to shorten up the sling on the bando. Everyone I knew just tied knots in the slings the few times we carried bandos.

A more utilitarian approach it to secure the charger guide to the bando so it doesn't wander away. I keep one tied to my E&E pouch on my LBE so I don't sweat the ones in the bandos. I figure if that was the intended use for the safety pin the charger guide would come clipped to the pouch to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Same here.Its to shorten up the strap so while your running they don't beat you to death.WD
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
It's used to pin a spoon (a.k.a. the stripper clip guide) to the bandoleer.  If you want the strap shorter tie it in a knot as suggested by others.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you!! I've always wondered this myself! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hick,

I dunno really,though the ideas posted seem to be logical.

Us Jarheads used the safety pin for all sorts of other stuff though.

First one was used to keep the bush cover chin strap attached to the back of the cammie blouse collar.

Being made of brass it didn't rust so it stayed sharp enough to lance blisters on the feet.

Also cuz it was made of brass,it worked great for loosening carbon from the compensator without scratching too badly.

I saw several used to hold multiple range cards together in the PC pit more than once.

"Speed loaders" were kept in the left breast pocket so the safety pin was a bit of a quandry.....

Hell,the stupidly simple little thing just had so many uses I suppose the original intent was lost on us,and I don't remember any real "official" instruction for them.

Hate to think they would ever be removed from a bandolier though.

I'm looking at my old Bush cover right now and it still has one on it.

Damn good question.

Anybody got insight to the spec that caused them to be included?
There has to be some logic behind it...right?

Oh Lord did you open a can of worms!!!

Thanks!
S-28

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Hick,

I dunno really,though the ideas posted seem to be logical.

Us Jarheads used the safety pin for all sorts of other stuff though.

First one was used to keep the bush cover chin strap attached to the back of the cammie blouse collar.

Being made of brass it didn't rust so it stayed sharp enough to lance blisters on the feet.

Also cuz it was made of brass,it worked great for loosening carbon from the compensator without scratching too badly.

I saw several used to hold multiple range cards together in the PC pit more than once.

"Speed loaders" were kept in the left breast pocket so the safety pin was a bit of a quandry.....

Hell,the stupidly simple little thing just had so many uses I suppose the original intent was lost on us,and I don't remember any real "official" instruction for them.

Hate to think they would ever be removed from a bandolier though.

I'm looking at my old Bush cover right now and it still has one on it.

Damn good question.

Anybody got insight to the spec that caused them to be included?
There has to be some logic behind it...right?

Oh Lord did you open a can of worms!!!

Thanks!
S-28

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top