Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2004 8:15:02 AM EDT
I just saw a post on EE/accessories trying to sell an airsoft replica KAC M4 QD silencer. I didn't want to step on his ad but aren't they illegal to put on real firearms (and unsafe)? I have seen fake silencers that are legal because they are solid aluminum-no chambers, baffles, etc. I think the Airsoft units are hollow and use foam to silence the pellets. Just curious.
Ed
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]

-g
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Ed, I don't know about the legality of putting an Airsoft supressor on a real rifle.  But I sure as heck want to see the video the first time a round is fired through it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
That's probably the $200 MFI KAC clone that's not a real silencer at all, but just a solid aluminum piece as well.  If so, MFI says that:

All MFI Fake Silencers are DESIGNED FOR REAL WEAPONS, but will also fit replica & airsoft weapons with appropriate adapters. These do NOT suppress sound in any way and are 100% legal for the regular civilian to own in all 50 US States.

It is my understanding that ANY device that suppresses the sound of a projectile firing weapon, INCLUDING PAINTBALL and AIRSOFT fall under the same laws as a firearms suppressor.  

You did the right thing by following ARFCOM rules and not "stepping" on the ad on the EE.  Good job.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Does a fake suppessor affect the ballastics of a firearm?  I would tend to think it would mess up accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Onslaught,
The ad says it mounts with a real KAC M4 QD flash supressor. I've seen the MFI units and they do not mount this way. The "real" airsoft units do. This leads me to think it is a hollow design and could get an unsuspecting buyer in trouble, even if it was just for display and he never fired a round through it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Most airsoft silencers are illegal, as they have a hollow cavity on the inside, 99% of them are metal, but will probably explode with a shot being fired through them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Lumpy, with all due respect for I value your opinion, the fact that in actual terms, it is FAKE (airsoft), does not mean that ATF does not think of them as illegal without the same forms and tax stamp as a "real" silencer.

The "FAKE" silencers that MFI sells, as well as a couple of others, are legal  because they have no chambers, cavities or hollow areas. They are solid metal with a single, cylindrical passage through them. The airsoft "fakes" meet the definition of a silencer as defined by the ATF so even though these are toys and will blow up if used on a real weapon, all their rules apply.
Ed
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the Airsoft units are hollow and use foam to silence the pellets.

I think that is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.  That's right up there with the moron who bump fired his gun under water.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
No, the funniest thing was an Airsofter who posted and wanted to convert a SunProject M203 to fire an actual 203 practice round!!

famous last words "HEY GUYS WATCH THIS!"

FILM AT ELEVEN!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Coming this winter to a christmas tree near you, the Birdman M203 launcher...
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, don't be knocking Birdman, I have their sights. They are the heat!

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The "FAKE" silencers that MFI sells, as well as a couple of others, are legal  because they have no chambers, cavities or hollow areas. They are solid metal with a single, cylindrical passage through them. The airsoft "fakes" meet the definition of a silencer as defined by the ATF so even though these are toys and will blow up if used on a real weapon, all their rules apply.
Ed

a buddy of mine has the MFI fake M4-style KAC - it is indeed a solid outer body over a solid steel adapter tube with a 1/2" inner dia.  very heavy, no cavity, no plastic.  there are two models, one that screws onto the end of the barrel, and another slip-over model, much like the 5 or 6" slip-over flash hiders that give that XM177E2 look.  it's no different than installing a 6" hider on the end of your barrel. the weight *might* affect POI, but it didn't affect accuracy either way (that we could see), or change the sound level.  i'd avoid them - useless addition of weight to your weapon.

cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I'm going to duct-tape a roll of this toilet paper onto my AR next time I go armadillo-popping to see if it's any quieter...  

Link Posted: 11/3/2004 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think I'm going to duct-tape a roll of this toilet paper onto my AR next time I go armadillo-popping to see if it's any quieter...  href=www.justtoiletpaper.com/camocombolarge2.jpg

And I shall report you to the ATF! hock.gif LOL
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Not that I would ever want one of these, but I've seen them used by Vector on their HK-93/53 clones.  If you go to their site www.vectorarms.com , you will see variations of their guns that come with this MFI "suppressor".  I guess it should be okay to use this on a real firearms if you like.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top