Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2006 2:12:01 PM EDT
Ok, so i've been browsing the GREAT picture threads on here and i've seen some really cool setups. I'm torn between an Aimpoint and an EOTech. I've seen pics of both on rifles and they look good. Problem is, i'm not sure which one I should get. I've seen a really cool pic of an AR15 (i really liked it's setup) with an EOTech but the sight looks a bit bulky. I saw a reticle pic of one and it looks funny because it's like a small box sitting on top the receiver. lol.

Anyway, i haven't seen too many pics i like that use the aimpoint. However, I do like the red dot style optic.

I 'm just not sure which one would be best and I don't know of anyone nearby who has these sights for me to look at up close. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Had 1 Eotech, have 3 Aimpoints. I like simple. Both are great sights, just a matter of preference. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't go wrong with either and they both have their advantages.  I have both but prefer the Aimpoint for it's longer battery life and it doesn't take up as much rail space as the Eotech.  I also believe it is more rugged and proven than the Eotech, but that is debateable.  I also have astigmatism and the Aimpoints dot is clearer to me than the reticle of the Eotech.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I got both...try them both and see which one you like...to ME the eotech is clearer than the aimpoint, but I need to try the aimpoint out more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I spent a lot of time torn between both (like two months as I saved up funds).  Ended up with the Aimpoint M3 with the Larue mount.  Why?  Less is more.  The Eotech would be great with a simple dot in the middle, maybe in the middle of an +.  Not that huge donut.  Sorry but my eyes are not so bad that I need that big red blob.  Probably would be a nightmare with my astigmatism even with glasses.  I chose the two MOA dot and I am very happy.  The larue mount means it keeps it's zero, the simple dot means I can see TARGET, not RED BLOB.  I don't like clutter.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok,  what about reliability, durability, waterproofness, and shockproofness ?   Has there ever been a comparison between the two on these qualities ?

I used to have an aimpoint, replaced it with a Leupold 1.5 - 5X Illuminated reticle and would like to get either the Aimpoint or Eotech.   They didn't have Eotechs back when I had my aimpoint. ..  or at least I don't remember that they did.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Rapidarp...

I am also in the same situation, based on the great info in this site they are both excellent choices. I also feel the way you do with the eotech's aesthetic. The one thing that I do like with the EO is the coverage you get through the hud design than a tunnel vision effect you get with the aimpoint. But this is only based on the info i gathered here and basing it on the Optic pics the members provided. Im still at a lost.hinking.gif
Why not add the Tripower to your choices
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I.  The Eotech would be great with a simple dot in the middle, maybe in the middle of an +.  .

Ahhh they do make a dot only version!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Have ML2 and 551

ML2 is water proofed to 330 feet
Battery life is 5 years or more
Im on the same battery since 2001

Eotech
Has a mount already
bigger window

If I was in the WAR I would get the Aimpoint!

Other than that TAKE YOUR PICK both are outstanding
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got both...try them both and see which one you like...to ME the eotech is clearer than the aimpoint, but I need to try the aimpoint out more.

True my ML2 has a Blue tint but TARGETS seem SHARPER than my 551
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Try the Leuopold Mark 4 CQ/T.  It is very nice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Either will suit you fine.....all about personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I wrote this in another thread earlier and figured I would just copy and paste

I prefer the M2

My reason....after "getting both" I tried them both in numerous types of scenarios...I personally was quicker w/ the Aimpoint. I shot like shit w/ the EOTech...I think it was the 65 MOA circle I just couldn't get used to. Either one will do you good...but you will prefer one over the other when you try both.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
In theory I like the Eotech better, that is why I have one.  But with my seeming vision problem I see 2 or 3 dots instead of one.  If the eye doctor cannot offer any solutions Saturday (am taking the Eotech with me) my next one will probably be an Aimpoint as the dot looks round to me.  Then again once I get to playing with my new Specter DR it might not matter anymore.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Comp M3 Aimpoint, I absolutely love it. I don't have much opinion to the Eotech as I've never owned one, but I have fired a few rifles with them and I like the cross hair on the Aimpoint more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a Comp M3 Aimpoint, I absolutely love it. I don't have much opinion to the Eotech as I've never owned one, but I have fired a few rifles with them and I like the cross hair on the Aimpoint more.
Not trying to be a smartass (it comes naturally) but what cross hair?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not trying to be a smartass (it comes naturally) but what cross hair?

Sorry, I meant reticule (smart ass )

I like the dot reticule on the Aimpoint more than the huge one on the Eotech.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top