Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 11:58:05 AM EST
Finally purchased a RRA flat-top receiver to complete my Bushmaster M4gery. Being installed at the gunsmith's as I type. I did not buy an A3 detachable carry handle, so I am starting with a clean slate.

I decided on an Aimpoint CompML2. I was also thinking about BUIS of some kind. Not really looking for co-witnessing if I understand that to mean that the red dot will be painted right on the top of the front sight. Would like it to be above the front sight a little bit. Know what I mean? Also "quick release" capable mounts are not really necessary as I am only planning on buying one set of optics. Is there some other reason why quick release mounts are desireable?

So the options just get bewildering.

I was thinking of getting an ARMS #38 and then mounting the Aimpoint to that using the Aimpoint 30mm Mount-X-wide ring (not worried about "quick release" as I don't plan on buying extra optics). Now will that be tall enough, too tall or too low and blocking the front sight?

Or could I just mount the Aimpoint to my receiver using the Mount-X-wide ring or would that be too low for the iron sights? I notice that the ARMS 22M68 looks a lot higher.

I was leaning towards getting one of those #38 Swan sleeves because it incorporates the rear sight (for about $165) versus seperate mounts and back up sights for about $190.

Anyway, somebody please understand what I want and just tell me what to buy.

Thanks
madkiwi
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:41:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By madkiwi:

and just tell me what to buy.

Thanks
madkiwi

OK..... You should buy a LaRue BUIS and a LaRue Aimpoint mount. Both mounts have throw levers, but just because they have them doesn't mean you have to use them. Also, you say you don't care about co-witnessing but once you use this setup you will be glad you did. This will put the dot above the front sight just like you want. G&R Tactical has all the LaRue stuff.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:55:02 PM EST
LaRue M68 CCO Aimpoint mount will put the dot comfortably over the front sight. Unless you must have a flip up, the LaRue BUIS is a damned fine piece of hardware as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:57:24 PM EST
M656 and brassburn,

WORD
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:17:44 PM EST
Mad, exactly where about in CA are you? I am going to shoot at Chabot (In Casto Valley) this weekend and I could let you take a look down my AR to get a better idea about mounts and such. Fr my AR I went with the ARMS 22M68 with cant. spacer, but as the previous three posters suggested, you cannot go wrong with LaRue.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:40:28 PM EST
cnorton,

I am in Daly City, I would love to come over to Chabot this weekend but I have too much to do. My brother is visiting from Washngton, and I am 1/2 way through painting the house. Plus we are going on vacation next week.

Bitch of it is that I need to get out with my Savage 10FP this weekend as I am going to be shooting it offhand in a competition in two weeks.

When will you be there, maybe I can sneak away for a couple hours.

madkiwi
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:36:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:14:44 AM EST

cnorton,

I am in Daly City, I would love to come over to Chabot this weekend but I have too much to do. My brother is visiting from Washngton, and I am 1/2 way through painting the house. Plus we are going on vacation next week.

Bitch of it is that I need to get out with my Savage 10FP this weekend as I am going to be shooting it offhand in a competition in two weeks.

When will you be there, maybe I can sneak away for a couple hours.

madkiwi

I will be there from 9 am to about 12 pm. I will be the one wearing the olive "Peace through superior firepower" hat. If you can make it come and say hi.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:09:37 AM EST
cnorton,

I tried to email you and it bounced.

You forgot to mention which day!

madkiwi
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:44:54 AM EST

cnorton,

I tried to email you and it bounced.

You forgot to mention which day!

madkiwi

madkiwi,

I will be there saturday. I updated my email addy so I should be able to recieve your email now.
Top Top