Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 3:01:58 PM EDT
Ok I've decided to use the same sight set-up for a new AR that I have on my first bought AR.  Namely a Aimpoint Comp with a QRP mount and a BUIS.  I've been looking for the QRP and most replys I get from vendors is "you can something way better".  I've never had any problems with QRP.  It seems solid and of high quality.  When I bought that original one about 3-4 years ago it seemed to be the Cat's Arse.  Why not now?

Here it is:

Rob
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Because you are supposed to spend at least $160 for your Aimpoint mount.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you never take it off and put it back on, you will probably not notice much of a difference.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If the QRP is good enough for the US Army why shouldn’t it be good enough for you? Of course the venders are going to try and sell you something that costs more!  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Not all civilians buy from the cheapest bidder.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never understood all the negative attitudes about the QRP either. I've had one for years with no problems. It's a great mount. In fact, it's the standard.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've never understood all the negative attitudes about the QRP either. I've had one for years with no problems. It's a great mount. In fact, it's the standard.

The standard? I would think that the LaRue LT150 is the standard.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a QRP mount for my ML2 when I was using an A2 upper with a carry handle mount.  It was OK, but would shift point of impact a little if you removed it and remounted it.  I replaced my A2 with an A3 flattop upper, and now I mount the ML2 with a A.R.M.S. quick release mount, which I feel is much better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I happen to like the QRP very much and since that's what my aimpoint came with, I'm not about to spend $150 to see if I like anything better.  

If you read the .mil instructions, they say the 2 clicks after it's tight is to ensure the same torque each time and you know what that means- minimum shift in POI.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:37:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not all civilians buy from the cheapest bidder.

And not all civilians have upwards of $100 to drop down on a Aimpoint mount!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#10]

The only real problem I had with mine was the big knob sticking out the side...it liked to get hung on everything.  Otherwise, I liked it.  It returned zero fine and maintained zero...that's about all I need a mount to do.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The only real problem I had with mine was the big knob sticking out the side...it liked to get hung on everything.  Otherwise, I liked it.  It returned zero fine and maintained zero...that's about all I need a mount to do.

+1
I agree. I love mine but the knob sticks out a little far.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I sure like my QRP/ML2
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Has the LT mount been issued in mass to the rank and file military?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ever hump around with an ALICE pack?  Just because the military uses it doesnt mean there arent better alternatives in the civilian market.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ever hump around with an ALICE pack?  Just because the military uses doesnt mean there are better alternatives in the civilian market.

I know what you're saying, but hopefully you see my point too. Either way, the QRP is an acceptable Aimpoint mount.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#17]

I know what you're saying, but hopefully you see my point too. Either way, the QRP is an acceptable Aimpoint mount.

There's your answer... it will work. is it the best? noop, but it will get the job done.
I used  one on my Issue M4 before I ever heard of ARMS and LaRue and it worked well. the Big knob was a pain and we dummy corded them onto our weapons. But their are better ones out their.....

The better units have better zero repeatability
better locking mechanisims
better construction and use better materials
and you can get that for not much more $$ then the QRP

Rememeber with the Military it's not about having 10 of the best, but more like getting  10.000 of the good enough.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey thanks all for the advice.  It will rarely be removed.  I plan on trying the spacer.  I agree about the knob on the side.  That's a pretty small bitch though.

R
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey thanks all for the advice.  It will rarely be removed.  I plan on trying the spacer.  I agree about the knob on the side.  That's a pretty small bitch though.

R

\

It sounds like we have another happy QRP user here. I think the original intent was to have a mount that could be quickly removed if the optic became fouled. The QRP does rezero pretty well though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#20]

You will like the spacer. Gives you a better view of the iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#21]
yeah, the spacer is necessary on a flattop, almost absolutely necessary.  I'll have to dig in the military instructions mine came with.  

It's to be used without the spacer when on the gooseneck mount on a carryhandle.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got TM9-1240-413-12&P and it states that the spacer is to be used on the M4 series and M16A4  while the spacer is not to be used on the M16A2 series.  

It also states that if the QRP is uninstalled, as long as it is reinstalled on the same rail slot and the knob is clicked twice, it will not need to be rezeroed.  

This of course is October 1997.  Your scan probably trumps my 8.5 year old manual.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
yeah, the spacer is necessary on a flattop, almost absolutely necessary.  I'll have to dig in the military instructions mine came with.  

It's to be used without the spacer when on the gooseneck mount on a carryhandle.  

Yup. The irons are so low I can barely see them, even without the spacer.

WIZZO

EDIT: Mine returns to zero quite well. I've re-checked it after I've removed it at 2 different times, and it was still zeroed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I hated that bigazz knob so I improved it.  I cut the stud down and installed a thumbscrew from a cut carry handle project.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I hated that bigazz knob so I improved it.  I cut the stud down and installed a thumbscrew from a cut carry handle project.

pictures DAMNIT!!!  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#27]
+1 for pics of the modified knob!

R
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The better units have better zero repeatability
better locking mechanisims
better construction and use better materials
and you can get that for not much more $$ then the QRP

I've got a couple QRPs w/ spacers that I picked up in near-new condition for $50 apiece in the EE. They fit the rails properly, lock down tight but detach quickly, maintain zero and repeat zero. The next cheapest competitor is the ARMS 22M68, which usually goes for ~$85 used.  I've used them in the past. They fit the rail properly, lock down tightly, maintain zero and repeat zero, but cost 70% more.

Explain to me again why I should pay more money for the same performance?

The high-priced Gucci mounts may in fact be "better" than the QRP in some ways, but they're not ways that I will need or appreciate in my application.  

ETA - I think it's funny that folks complain about the "bigass knob" on the QRP when they've got tac latches, foregrips, lights and sling mounts sticking off their guns...

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#29]
How far would the knob stick out on a new QRP anyway?  And has anyone seen CCO manual  TM9-1240-413-12&P for sale anywhere?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't know if my QRP is an older model, but that knob really sticks out.  I've rammed it into my palm when trying to hit the bolt release, and it definitely is a wear point in my rifle case.  YMMV, but here are my thoughts:

Con: Knob sticks out, some complain about return to zero, and it isn't as sexy or clean as an LT.  Repeated removal & replacement could potentially wear on the ratcheting system.  OTOH, I've seen an ARMS that wiggles on the rail, and won't even return to "degree of angle" accuracy.

Pros:  Returned to zero pretty nicely the only time I actually took it off after zeroing.  

Biggest pro for me: It came attached to an ML2 2x that I acquired for the cost of an inexpensive restaurant dinner.  The other guy didn't like it, and all I had to add was the $10 spacer.  I don't like the small FOV.  Imagine a red dot in a large straw, and you're not too far off.  It takes getting used to for closer range, but it worked to keep some plastic milk jugs bouncing at 25 yards.  I've not found anything else in that price range, except the $20 ADCO red dot sight on my paintball gun.

Looking forward to seeing pics of that thumbscrew mod.

Edited b/c I my spelling fu was weak.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I still run some A1/A2 receivers and the QRP is not bad for this application for the price.

I never liked the idea of using a spacer like the way Aimpoint designed it to work for use on a flattop.  That is where I'd spend the extra $ and get a better mount.  

I thought there was talk of Aimpoint producing a QRP specifically for flattops.  Any one know what ever came of this?  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top