Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2003 8:53:46 PM EDT
is this practical? will it be top heavy/look weird? any1 have any pics of this setup?  it seems like this would allow for quicker cqb target acquisition..?
thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Watch the movie Black Hawk Down if you want to see A2 uppers with Aimpoints mounted on them.  It looks alright to me but the Eotech would probably look a little weird.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the SF guys are sill running them that way. I know that ARMS makes a mount for the Aimpoint that goes on the carry handle. These guys look like they are running an ARMS #2 and a ring.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054167.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The only problem is paralax, if you sight it in for CQB at 15 meters you are going to be off at any other distance due to the difference between barrel and sight.
You could make good center mass hits at 100 meters, but don't expect to be hitting exactly where you aim.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes but it is not that BIG of an issue.

Earlier this year I went thought a 4 day LE patrol carbine school. We shot from 50 yards to contact. I shot the school with this rifle.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054108.jpg[/img]

The only time I had to adjust for the ACOG being on the carry handle was during our 3 yard snap head shots. To put the rounds in the little one inch strip accross the eyes I had to hold over at the hair line. I still made my shots faster than most and never had to run because my rounds were out of that little ass one inch strip. At all other ranges I just put the donut where I wanted the round.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if one can mount an EoTech on a hanguard rail to co-witness...
I'm not planning to do it, but i do wonder...Anyone know?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I think that the Arms#39 will do what you want with the Eotech. It will allow you to mount it above the hand guard and co-witness it with the A2 sights.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think that the Arms#39 will do what you want with the Eotech. It will allow you to mount it above the hand guard and co-witness it with the A2 sights.
View Quote

My guess is that it won't.

I've got a #51 SIR, which is a #39 with the SIR handguard assembly attached to it.

I had a Reflex mounted on a #15, and there was absolutely NO WAY you were going to use the irons through the optic .... and I believe that the optic on an EOTech is even higher than the Reflex.

So my guess is NO co-witness for an EOTech on a #39.

You might want to look into a Bennie Cooley BC-CAM adjustable gooseneck mount.  It was designed to co-witness an EOTech over the handguards.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Here you go i found it:

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms-sir50.asp[/url]

thanks guys

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here you go i found it:

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms-sir50.asp[/url]

thanks guys

View Quote

If you have an A3 (flattop) receiver then this will work.

The #50 doesn't fit on an A2 receiver, which is the subject of the thread.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only problem is paralax, if you sight it in for CQB at 15 meters you are going to be off at any other distance due to the difference between barrel and sight.
You could make good center mass hits at 100 meters, but don't expect to be hitting exactly where you aim.
View Quote

I was under the impression that Aimpoints were parallax free.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#11]
he means the big space between the aimpoint and the bore line create a bigger angle than you might want. if you zero for 50 yards, you might be pretty high at 200. something like that. think about the angle between the bore, the red dot, and the target, and bullet trajectory.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you consider a goose neck mount? It would put the Aimpiont/EOTech forward of the carry handle, above the the top hanguad. They may even co-witness with the front sight. I have this set up with an OKO sight and it does co-witness.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
az-gunner: Could you possibly post a picture of your OKO sight set up? I have the sight on my flat top M4 style Bushmaster, but I would like to have the carryhandle sights available as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I just remounted mine the way those SF pics are and holy cow what a difference in my ability to have better perif. vision.......My head is up higher I see more and shooting is much more controllable esp in Burst. Much easier to control with my Aimpoint higher on the carry handle......
if your thinking of doing that I would much more comfy and you feel much more agile....probably because you are.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Just looked at my FN callender for august and it shows Aimpoint mounted high also on there p90 and 249.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just remounted mine the way those SF pics are and holy cow what a difference in my ability to have better perif. vision.......My head is up higher I see more and shooting is much more controllable esp in Burst. Much easier to control with my Aimpoint higher on the carry handle......
if your thinking of doing that I would much more comfy and you feel much more agile....probably because you are.......
View Quote

I agree.  Another advantages is that it gets the optic above the front post.  I hate getting an eye full of front-post while using optics.  If I wanted an eye full of front-post, I would be using the irons by themselves.

BTW, I have lazy-eye.  This means I primarily see thru one eye only. So, this could affect my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#18]
ANybody else have there optics mounted high? or carry handle high?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#19]
"Did you consider a goose neck mount? It would put the Aimpiont/EOTech forward of the carry handle, above the the top hanguad. They may even co-witness with the front sight. I have this set up with an OKO sight and it does co-witness."

I have my Eotechs on flattops, but have also seen them mounted on the Cav Arms "gooseneck" mount.  This seems far better than on handguards, certainly will keep zeroed better.

[url]http://www.cavalryarms.com/okosights.html[/url]    Now it's hot.

and scroll down.

"AR15 Carry Handle Mount*
The rail pattern on these mounts is made to 1913 picatinny spec.  They will work with the OKO as well as the Trijicon Reflex, Aimpoint, BSA, Tasco, and potentially other types of red dot sights.
MSRP $75.00"
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
az-gunner: Could you possibly post a picture of your OKO sight set up? I have the sight on my flat top M4 style Bushmaster, but I would like to have the carryhandle sights available as well.
View Quote

Check the link below for the pic. The pic isnt very big, but you'll see what it looks like. Select "normal size" for a bigger pic.

[url]http://community.webshots.com/photo/21562982/21563938iDkRPdVnZY[/url]

I like this set up, for a few reasons.It does co witness. You don't need a special flip up rear sight. You use a regular cheek weld, not too high or too low. The OKO is protected by the front sight assembly and the carry handle. There is a special gooseneck mount for use with M4 handguards that will work on standards as well. I can take the whole set off and put it on another rifle in seconds. I just take off the carry handle and put it on another flat top. Everything else goes with it. CDNN has one with side rails for light/laser.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#21]
1ar4me,

I have a regular scope on my A2 handle. Probably going to keep that set up but going to gun show next weekend and probably get BSA or AimPoint. Same set up though. Here's a pic.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/pb353ec1450210e8a5f07d519ea8fd258/fb475a9a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Have a holo mounted both ways, handguard rail (it will co witness) and on a 39 gooseneck and it is just a tad to high to bring the front site into the picture. I have pics of it both ways if needed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top