Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 4:48:10 AM EDT
I just bought a brand-new 4 MOA Aimpoint Comp-M2, something I've wanted for quite a while after using a few owned by some fellow shooters. However, I'm seeing something with this sight that I don't quite know what to make of, and being a relative newbie to these types of optics, I thought I'd turn to the RKIs on this forum.

My question is this: When I turn the Comp-M2 on and look through the glass, the single "red dot" I expected to see is actually three little dots very close together in a triangular formation, with two dots at the bottom and one on top. They are all so close together as to appear to be touching, making a single fuzzy "dot", particularly noticeable at the higher illumination levels.

I've been advised that some people with a stigmatism report the "dot" looks like oblong like a grain of rice, and from some angles the dot does seem oblong (vertically), so perhaps it’s a variation of that. Last time I was at the eye doc, though, no stigmatism was observed and my vision is still 20/15. I sure wish I had another unit or two like this to compare with what I’m seeing -- that would tell me immediately if it's the sight or just me. Perhaps some pix of what the view through the reticle might tell the tale, but I was unable to find any on the web or elsewhere.

My main concern is that there’s something goofy with this brand-new sight right out of the box, or if I just don’t know what I’m supposed to expect (a distinct possibility). But I don't recall seeing this effect on the other Comp-Ms I've used over the last several years, so I'm looking for any insight that y'all may have to offer. I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

http://www.joebrower.com/images_RKBA/Gadsden_flag.gif
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Speed Dot.

No, really, just send it back and get a replacement.  If other units have looked good to you, it's not a problem with your vision, it's a problem with the sight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#2]
My Aimpoint dot appears not so circular.  But it doesn't effect the use of the sight.  I've read of others having similar forms.  If it works, I'd go with it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can, try another one before you send it back. I never noticed it before I bought one either, mostly because I wasn't looking very closely. Also, if you try it outdoors in bright sunlight, you may find it goes away to at least some degree, which is due to your iris closing down for the bright light. It's similar to a small apature setting on a camera - increased depth of field.  

You might actually need to get your eyes checked!!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
My dot is not circular, but I do have astigmatism.  Seeing 3 dots is pretty odd.  Have you tried moving it further away from your eye?  Sometimes by being further away things "come together" better.  If that doesn't help, I'd at least call Aimpoint and see what they say.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]
okay, this is going to sound stupid, but did you try the other eye?

Woody
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. After reading your responses as well as some info I found in a FAQ on Aimpoint.com, I think that this sight is OK and the problem is me, which was what I was tending to think all along.

I tried the sight with both eyes open, then left, then right -- all the same. As Aimpoint suggested, I rotated the sight while looking through the reticle, and the dot does not change at all, which indicates that what I'm seeing has something to do with how my eyes are working. If the dot did change aspect in conjunction with the rotation, then it would indicate a mechanical defect, but no, it stays the same.

One thing I noted is that I found myself focusing on the dot, not on the target (in this case, a marked spot on a white wall). When I focus on the dot is when my problems mainly occur -- if I focus on the target (which is what I should be doing anyway with this gadget), the dot then assumes a single, rounded shape. I'm thinking that my lifetime of using iron sights, where the focus was always on the front post, has developed in me a habit that is not to be used with the Aimpoint, being a different sort of aiming device entirely.

I'm going to a big gun show here in Florida the weekend after next (Lakeland Rifle and Pistol Club -- yeah!), and I will take the opportunity then to confirm my findings. But for now I'd have to say that this is more a result of me focusing on the dot rather than the target. Embarrassing, but true. I thank you all for taking the time to help me figure this out.

Stay safe,

http://www.joebrower.com/images_RKBA/Gadsden_flag.gif
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys were bringing this up as an issue with the Burris XTS so I took my SPOT, Aimpoint and Tacpoint lastnight and checked them out a bit and tried to get it to happen. I was able to do it by focusing on the dot, not looking throug/past the dot and focusing on the target. I couldn;t get it to do it everytime I tried but I could still get it to happen. Of the three the Tacpoint was actually the hardest to make it happen with......
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Both of my aimpoints look like clusters of itty bitty dots than one big one.  It doesn't seem to make a difference when I shoot.  I've been ignoring it for a few years now.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the same issue, seeing three dots.  It works OK when I look at the target and not the dot.  Try this.    

If it doesn't work out, get an ACOG!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I wear glasses (actually, bi-focals).  A couple of years ago, my prescription changed.  I had looked through my brother's Aimpoint with my previous prescription and the dot was not clear.  It was more of slight double image.  A few months ago, I looked through his Aimpoint again witrh my new current prescription and the dot was sharp and clear.  It seems to me to be related to your prescription if you wear glasses.

Oh, by the way, I recently bought an Aimpoint ML2 Comp from Midway when they had their sale just before Christmas.  I have it forward mounted on my 16" Bushmaster A2 carbine.  I shot it a couple of weeks ago...fantastic!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top