Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2009 4:17:40 PM EDT
The sight including an Aimpoint mount, even at the over $600 price, seems like a pretty good buy...

Is there anything about the Aimpoint mount that would make me want to change it for a Larue or ARM?  This will be a range rifle and  home defense if necessary...

Comments appreciated..
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $650 for mine- expensive as all get out, but it will work when I need it.  The Aimpoint mount is an absolute cowitness with the included spacer.  It removes and reattaches easily, but the LaRue mount (which you can get in absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness) is easier to remove.  I bought the LaRue mount for it, and I feel I got my money's worth, but it isn't a mandatory thing if you don't mind the knob sticking out and you won't be removing/reinstalling it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I happen to like the factory Aimpoint M4 mount, especially since it comes w/a riser so you can adjust height for desired cheekweld. Seems to RTZ fine the limited times I've removed & remounted it. Nothing wrong w/LaRue or other quality mounts but I just don't feel there's sufficient advantage for my needs to be worth the upgrade.
Tomac
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one with a LaRue mount so I could remove without having to re-zero and the whole lower 1/3. co-whitness
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the comments....I was hoping the replies would be favorable about the mount...

And, ETA: I just ordered the Aimpoint CompM4 for $645 with the flip covers.  Could not find any better deal..

Thanks again for all the advice and info I found on this site.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the QRP2 mount.  It is definitely not as fast as the Larue (to mount and dismount), but it is rock solid and returns to zero each time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Hope this question makes sense:

When I mount a scope on a hunting rifle, I have to push the rings forward against the slot in the base so that recoil does not move the set-up.  Does the Aimpoint mount fill the slot in the rail so that I do not have to push forward or is that still something to do to make sure everything is solid..

Those who have mounted scopes will understand what I am asking I hope...
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
You do have to push the sight forward to keep the front of the lug tight against the rear of the slot when tightening the mount.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Received my CompM4 a couple days ago from Smartgunner...nice people to deal with and just under $650...including the covers..

Just my opinion but this optic is about 75% better than the Eotech I had some years ago...

The Eotech seemed like an optic for the civi's and the Aimpoint is for the military....but I guess that is what its all about...

I have no problem with the mounting knob, in fact I like hearing the clicks...I have not removed and re-installed it while shooting yet but will do that tomorrow...

Thanks to all who gave me info on this subject....

Only thing I will change is that I will buy a set of flip lens covers...just have to find info on which brand works with no problems..

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top