Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/9/2003 9:18:50 AM EDT
I noticed that with my EOTech 552 regardless of eye relief, the reticle was always the same size in relation to the target.

If I put my face right up against the sight the reticle appears very small in relation to the sight window, and if I hold the sight out at arms length the reticle is nearly as large as the entire window but is consistently the same size in relationship to the target.

If I stand approx 12 yards from a B27 target my 65 MOA ring is approximately the size as the head; if I put the sight up against my face or at arms length the ring is always the size of the B27 targets head regardless of how big it is in proportion to the sight window. The magic of a laser diffraction hologram I guess.

Does the Aimpoint dot size stay consistent in relation to the sight window, or does the dot size stay consistent in relation to the target?
I would appreciate if some Aimpoint users would shed some light on this.

To ask more directly:
(1) - Does the Aimpoint dot appear smaller in the window with a short eye relief like 3” and larger on in the window with a long eye relief like 18”, and appear consistently the same size proportionally to the target?

Or

(2) - Does the Aimpoint dot appear larger on the target with a short eye relief like 3” and smaller on the target with a long eye relief like 18”, and appear consistently the same size proportionally to the sight window?

If I am correct in my hypothesis and the Aimpoint dot size is proportional to the sight window; a person could get more speed (bigger dot) by moving the sight to the back of the receiver and could gain more precision (smaller dot) by moving the sight forward onto the front of the receiver, or even farther forward out onto a forward mounted rail system.

Not trying to put X vs Y, that has been done to death, I just trying to understand as much as I can about these two different pieces of equipment.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:44:49 AM EDT
I don't have my Aimpoint or EO Tech in front of me right now but I believe the dot or reticle will always be the same size on the target regardless of how far away your eye is from the sight. I can't say I've ever done the near/far comparison you did with your EO Tech but, when I had one mounted on my AR, I tried mounting it at different positions and found that the further away the sight was, the smaller the reticle appeared but it was the same size in relation to the window and the same size on the target. Here's a silly question - do you wear corrective lenses or do think you need them? Not trying to be a wise-ass but since they affect your vision, it's something to consider. Also, are you looking through the sight with both your eyes at the same time? Something to be aware of if you're not already. That's the way both sights were designed to be used. The further away either sight is from your eye, the better. Your field of view will be wider. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:54:45 AM EDT
My EOTech does the same thing and I have normal 20/20 vision.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:10:48 AM EDT
Matt_B in bold [b]I can't say I've ever done the near/far comparison you did with your EO Tech but, when I had one mounted on my AR, I tried mounting it at different positions and found that the further away the sight was, the smaller the reticle appeared but it was the same size in relation to the window and the same size on the target. [/b] The reticle cannot be the same size in relation to the window, and in relation to the target with different eye relief, it is physically impossible due to the angles involved. If you still have your EOTech do this little experiment and you will see what I am talking about With my EOTech 552.A65 Rev-E, the reticle is always the same size on the target and the closer the sight is to my eye the smaller the reticle appears in the window; the farther away the sight is the larger the reticle appears in the window but the reticle is always the same size on the target regardless of eye relief. [b]Here's a silly question - do you wear corrective lenses or do think you need them? Not trying to be a wise-ass but since they affect your vision, it's something to consider. [/b] No corrective lenses, 20/20 vision, I understand that could possibly be a variable but not in this case. [b]Also, are you looking through the sight with both your eyes at the same time? Something to be aware of if you're not already. That's the way both sights were designed to be used.[/b] Yes, both eyes open. This is the way I have been taught to do all combat shooting weather it is with a pistol, carbine/rifle, or shotgun. It gives you better peripheral vision, better low light gathering, and faster target acquisition. The only exception to this for me is when using magnified optics such as my IOR 10x42mm Tactical w/ MP-8 reticle on my Rem700-PSS in 308. [b]The further away either sight is from your eye, the better. Your field of view will be wider. Try it and you'll see what I mean.[/b] I understand, the FOV through the sight window is actually smaller, but that is unimportant since you are not actually looking through the sight window but past the sight with both eyes to the target. Therefore the farther forward the sight is mounted the smaller the sight appears (perspective) producing a smaller blind spot in front of the sight.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:16:25 AM EDT
My EOTech 552 and all other ones I've seen all do this. One of the reasons I liked the forward mounted on my SIR 50 was because of this property. When forward mounted it looked larger and easier and faster to pickup the reticle. I don't seem to recall getting this illusion with the Aimpoint M2.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:38:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2003 6:45:00 PM EDT by Matt_B]
Alrighty, I've broke out my HK that has an EO Tech and now I see (literally) what you're talking about. I don't know why I recalled having the exact opposite experience - I guess I never looked for what you're looking for. It's been quite a while (since last March?) since I shot with the EO Tech. Nonetheless, I stand corrected. Next time, I'll be sure to be sure [:)] I tried the same test with the Aimpoint and it's seem that your first theory on the Aimpoint is correct but, with the reticle being so small to begin with, it's a lot harder to notice. Unfortunately, I don't have any targets on hand to see if the reticle changes size in relation to the target. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has an answer to that question. But here's something to consider - the Aimpoint's (ML2 and M-2) dot is 4 MOA at 100 yds regardless of eye relief, at least according to the specs and other board members. I'll be grabbing more targets when I hit the range this weekend so I'll try the other part of the test then. Now you've got my curiosity piqued.
Top Top