Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 6:33:17 AM EDT
Does anyone out there not use their Aimpoint caps?  I like the idea of them, but they make the sight big and bulky.  I took mine off and now I love it.  I am worried about some kind of lens damage, but I have seen pictures of Seals and Rangers without their caps on their aimpoints.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Aside from the possibility of damage (scratching, etc) to the glass on the Aimpoint, you may run some risk of just getting them dirty enough to obstruct your vision. It's probably a question of how you plan on using the rifle. For military/law enforcement use, I wouldn't remove them. For range use, matches, etc. it's whatever works best for you.

I did rotate the covers on my Comp M2 so that they open down onto the rail instead of up into my field of view. This gets them out of the way and protects the caps somewhat too.

Just my opinion, YMMV......
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Rangers/SEALS/SpecOps in general, are issued their Aimpoints, so any problems and they return for a new issue (simple version)  Your Aimpoint, I'm assuming YOU payed for, take care of it.

Rangers/SEALS/ etc.  keep those caps handy for night shooting, the occular is visible down range.

You can bet that those same Rangers/SEALS/etc.  replace at least the occular lens cap, when the expected threat level/engagement period ends and that weapon gets slung.

Food for thought.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone in the field using the M68 loses the covers on their M68's. You get your weapon always hooked onto something and they just pop off when your not looking. I had to duct tape mine on and they still come off. Combat doesnt allow you time to check the minor aspects of a weapon.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top