Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 7:08:10 PM EDT
Anyone ever use one of these cartridge style bore sights?  If so, is the Aim Shot a good choice?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
they work good, their the best on the market for laser bore sighters.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
been using one on my rifles for a while now.  works great with my Eoteh and...what ever scope i have
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You don't need anything special to bore sight an AR.  Your eye will do the job.

1. Mount the optic.
2. Remove the upper from the lower and pull the BCG.
3. Put the upper on some sort of sort of stable rest.  I use my cleaning stand.
4. From the rear, look down the bore and sight in on a point that is easily identified. Street lights and stop signs work well. The further away the object is the better.
5. Now look through the optic and adjust it so that it is sighted in on the same object that you see through the barrel.
6. It might take a couple iterations of 4 and 5 to get it dialed in.

This method has put me on paper at 25 yards every time I've used it.  A few times I've been on paper at 50 yards.  I do the same thing with my 700, it works for anything that that will allow you to see through the barrel.

ETA - If you sight in on something outside of the house it's a good idea to set up so that your neighbors can't see you through the window.  I sit at my kitchen table and sight through the window in the next room at a pretty sharp angle.   You never know when somebody is going to freak out and call 911 about the sniper across the street.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You don't need anything special to bore sight an AR.  Your eye will do the job.

1. Mount the optic.
2. Remove the upper from the lower and pull the BCG.
3. Put the upper on some sort of sort of stable rest.  I use my cleaning stand.
4. From the rear, look down the bore and sight in on a point that is easily identified. Street lights and stop signs work well. The further away the object is the better.
5. Now look through the optic and adjust it so that it is sighted in on the same object that you see through the barrel.
6. It might take a couple iterations of 4 and 5 to get it dialed in.

This method has put me on paper at 25 yards every time I've used it.  A few times I've been on paper at 50 yards.  I do the same thing with my 700, it works for anything that that will allow you to see through the barrel.

ETA - If you sight in on something outside of the house it's a good idea to set up so that your neighbors can't see you through the window.  I sit at my kitchen table and sight through the window in the next room at a pretty sharp angle.   You never know when somebody is going to freak out and call 911 about the sniper across the street.

I Have done that, in fact I was taught to boresight bolt action rifles that way when I was a youngster.  It works OK for AR's but I also have other rifles that aren't that easy.  I have a mini14 for example that I want to scope.  I appreciate the replies.  I'll buy the aim shot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top